I find this whole 2nd term public swearing in ceremony incredibly wasteful. | INFJ Forum

I find this whole 2nd term public swearing in ceremony incredibly wasteful.

MindYourHead

Courage doesn't always roar.
Jun 16, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
President Obama and Vice President Biden were officially sworn in yesterday, but today we play pretend and repeat it so they can put on the huge horse and pony show.
When a President is sworn in for a first term fine, have a big blow out. But for a second term do we really need to have all this pageantry? I find it incredibly distasteful.

Just had to express my thoughts on this.

President Obama and Vice President Biden were officially sworn in yesterday, but today we play pretend and repeat it so they can put on the huge horse and pony show.
When a President is sworn in for a first term fine, have a big blow out. But for a second term do we really need to have all this pageantry? I find it incredibly distasteful.

Just had to express my thoughts on this.

Why?

Its a PR opportunity for the corporate elite to push their latest puppet (at the moment that is Obama, but soon enough he will dissapear and it will be a new grinning face talking BS to us) into the limelight so they can spout off a load of lies and propaganda about how virtuous their policy is and about how kind they are and about how much they care about all the peoples of the world

The words that really pissed me off was when he said 'we the people'! Yeah right! What he should really have said if he could stop lying for 5 minutes is: 'we the bankers....'

Is the issue that you find it wasteful or distasteful? There's a big distinction between the two. Or perhaps you find it distasteful because it's wasteful?

Either way, the intent of any ceremony of this sort is clear: to publicly affirm one's commitment to the duties of an office and the values therein. Whether or not the parties involved genuinely seek congruency between their words and actions is another argument altogether.

In a way it feels rather redundant. And it's been a while after the volatile pre-election months and the euphoric election day.....
people are somewhat sobered up by now. It feels rather late.

Though it has a function....and indeed it serves a function (at least idealistically speaking)

Is the issue that you find it wasteful or distasteful? There's a big distinction between the two. Or perhaps you find it distasteful because it's wasteful?

Either way, the intent of any ceremony of this sort is clear: to publicly affirm one's commitment to the duties of an office and the values therein. Whether or not the parties involved genuinely seek congruency between their words and actions is another argument altogether.

Distasteful because it seems wasteful. But, why would I expect anything other than waste from our government.
Maybe I just look at these things in a very pragmatic way. Or wish they were handled in such a way.
Have a swearing in as they did yesterday, give a speech, have a state dinner and a party, then it's business as usual. No big whoop.
The swearing in ceremony for a second term President never struck me this way before.
I clearly have become very jaded with our leaders the past 10 years. Doesn't matter what party they belong to.

Edit: Considering the state of things, I don't think he deserves a big party.
Go to your room without dinner! lol

I am sure sorry the Tabernacle Choir is not performing, (dang!)

And how did he manage to get a Bank Holiday anyway?

It does make me nervous when the President & First Lady get out of the limo during the parade and walk.
Especially President Obama.

It does seem a little silly. He's already there.

What happens here? There is some nutty tradition where the new PM has to go and get permission from The Queen to open Parliament.

She sort of goes 'Right, you're in charge then' and he goes 'No...you are' and she gives him a knowing wink and back to Downing Street he goes; ready to get stuck into a fantastic four years of doing nothing and sorting out the people who got him to the position of PM.

I don't think they do it if re-elected though. It seems redundant. Things just...carry on.

Well I heard the budget for it was something like 13 million as opposed to something like 150 million for the first term.

HomeAsk FactCheck • Comparing Inauguration Costs
[h=1]Comparing Inauguration Costs[/h] Posted on January 21, 2009 , Updated on Jan. 23, 2009

Q: Did Barack Obama’s inauguration really cost 4 times as much as George Bush’s 2005 inauguration?
A: Claims of a huge disparity are untrue. Actually, an apples-to-apples comparison shows that the two inaugurations likely cost about the same.
FULL QUESTION
There seems to be a lot of sloppy reporting about the total cost of the Obama inauguration vs. the Bush inauguration that is being used for partisan attacks. I’ve heard $160 million for Obama vs. 40 million + for Bush. I’ve also heard Bush’s 2005 inauguration was really $157 million. What are the facts?
FULL ANSWER
For much of the past week, several right-leaning news sites have compared an estimated $160 million price tag for Barack Obama’s 2009 inauguration to a $42 million tally for George W. Bush’s 2005 inauguration. For example, Newsmax reported that Obama’s inauguration "will be the most expensive ever" with a cost "nearly four times what George Bush’s inauguration cost four years ago." And Fox News’ Sean Hannity told viewers that "the cost of Obama’s inaugural will dwarf past celebrations and make those of President Bush’s look like budget bashes."
They’re wrong. They’ve misinterpreted mainstream news accounts from the Associated Press, ABC News and the New York Times, among others. The AP and ABC News both report that Obama’s inauguration could cost between $160 and $170 million, while Bush raised a net total of $42.3 million to cover the costs of his inauguration, according the New York Times and others, based on the report Bush’s committee filed with the Federal Election Commission a few months after the event. But those aren’t direct comparisons; the Obama estimates include the cost of security, while the figure for Bush’s inauguration does not.
Inauguration costs are divided up into two categories. In one category is all the fun stuff: the inaugural balls, luncheons and Springsteen appearances. That’s also the category for things like the 20 JumboTrons placed around the National Mall and the special payment to keep the Smithsonian Institution open for the day. The fun events don’t cost taxpayers a dime. Presidential inauguration committees raise money from private donors for all the fun stuff. A spokesperson for Obama’s inaugural committee told ABC News that the committee raised about $45 million to cover the costs of events in the fun category. (A full accounting will eventually be filed with the FEC, probably in April.) Adjusting for inflation, Obama’s estimated total is about $41.4 million in 2005 dollars — or slightly less than the $42.3 million Bush raised for his second inauguration.
But the cost of all the fun stuff is actually less than the cost of providing security for the various events. Taxpayers are on the hook for that bill, and while we won’t know for several weeks just how big that tally will be, there’s every reason to expect that it’ll be hefty. The Times reports that in 2005 the District of Columbia and the federal government spent a combined $115.5 million, mainly on security. ABC News reports higher numbers for this time, with the federal government estimating a $49 million cost and Virginia, Maryland and D.C. requesting a combined $75 million more to cover their inauguration-related expenses. If those estimates hold up, that would work out to around $114 million in inflation-adjusted figures.
It’s possible that the security costs could end up being higher. Roughly 400,000 people attended George Bush’s 2005 inaugural festivities, according to estimates at the time. CNN estimates that 1.5 million attended the 2009 version, and other estimates range from over 1 million to 1.8 million.
All the bills for Obama’s event won’t be in for several more weeks, but it appears likely that his inauguration will not cost significantly more than Bush’s second inauguration, and could conceivably cost less after adjusting for inflation.
-Joe Miller
Update Jan. 23: We updated this article with quotes from Newsmax and Fox New’s Hannity, to give specific examples of the kind of inaccurate reporting we are criticizing.

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/01/comparing-inauguration-costs/