Don't want to say vagina? What a sissy.

The hyenas from Lion King were dancing in my head

VAGINA

OHHEHEHEHEH!

ED ED DO IT AGAIN

VAGINA
VAGINA
VAGINA!!

Seriously people. Adults are such babies.

Reactions: z523x4gr98j
I don't see a problem with the use of the word per se, but I can see the problem with how she chose to use it as a personal attack on others. That's like accusing gynecologists of being perverts obsessed with vaginas. It's unnecessarily insulting and divergent to the point she's attempting to make, although since I don't pay too much attention to the ridiculousness of legislative debate I wouldn't hold it against her either.

I'm so proud to live in Michigan! Oh wait, no I'm not. Fuck these bills and fuck my state.

Ohhhhhh dear...that was a wincer. Crass. She cheapened herself, and all of her associates. Maniacal tirades are so destructive. Reason number 854 493, of why temperance is a handy quality to have. I almost...almost, feel sorry for her. But I can't because of the content.

Ohhhhhh dear...that was a wincer. Crass. She cheapened herself, and all of her associates. Maniacal tirades are so destructive. Reason number 854 493, of why temperance is a handy quality to have. I almost...almost, feel sorry for her. But I can't because of the content.
I'm curious what part(s) of her speech you found fault with. Being a resident of Michigan and having had followed these bills, the house Republicans have been rushing these bills and using their majority to silence opposition to the bills. They refused to allow a representative to speak on the amendment to a bill she introduced, which was displayed in the video. The bills go so far that all abortions, including those from rape, incest, and the health of the mother would be outlawed. The bills also will defund places like Planned Parenthood entirely, and create incredibly unreasonable insurance for any place (and the individual doctors) that would perform "legal" abortions prior to week 20. Her reaction was such, in my opinion, because these bills are incredibly detrimental to all Michigan citizens, especially women who aren't being allowed to speak in the House.

I'm curious what part(s) of her speech you found fault with. Being a resident of Michigan and having had followed these bills, the house Republicans have been rushing these bills and using their majority to silence opposition to the bills. They refused to allow a representative to speak on the amendment to a bill she introduced, which was displayed in the video. The bills go so far that all abortions, including those from rape, incest, and the health of the mother would be outlawed. The bills also will defund places like Planned Parenthood entirely, and create incredibly unreasonable insurance for any place (and the individual doctors) that would perform "legal" abortions prior to week 20. Her reaction was such, in my opinion, because these bills are incredibly detrimental to all Michigan citizens, especially women who aren't being allowed to speak in the House.

I read your first sentence, and I stopped, because I didn't want my initial knee jerk response to be tainted. This is strictly with regard to the video clip of the speech, no surrounding context. When I watched it, I put myself in the position of the politicians I know, most of whom are the types that poo poo overt emotion. What I was disturbed by, and I'm going to finish reading your paragraph after, was that when you have the attention of a large group of people who have the power to change things (and I assumed that these were the ones), you aren't going to accomplish much if your "awarded" time is spent with a speech, that is very largely fueled by emotion, and the content doesn't hold a lot of easily tangible form of logic. All that was really portrayed in the clip, was that she didn't support the decision, and that she was angry. You have that time, why not use it to present viable solutions.
Give them something they can work with.
Be assertive
1)present the problem,
2)let them know how it effects, or affects you (if necessary), and them,
3)present a viable solution, and steps needed to make it happen
4)state the consequences if the other party does not co-operate.
later (if you want to get anywhere)
5)follow through.

Babies are carried in the uteris, or more delicately put, the womb (sounds softer to non-medical types), not the vagina. To have mentioned her vagina (which was completely uncalled for), has a much greater sexual connotation. She felt her rights were violated, so she violates them back. You don't violate those that you are trying to appeal to.
That's just the tip of the iceberg.
So, I read the rest of your post. I can see why she was so angry. That's even more reason to keep your cool, because she got that precious time to be heard. There is so much relevant material to choose from. I'm assuming that she brought up her religion because the bill was heavily influenced by religion? Anyways. What happens when you ban abortion? Not cessation of abortions, back street abortions, which means huge increase in fatalities, and trauma, crime, failed back street abortions resulting in heavily marred babies :( :( .... more tip of the iceberg flash of what went through my mind. But it's the start of an explanation of why I cringed.

Reactions: bamf
Is it the word 'vagina' that was offensive, or that she alluded to him as being a rapist?
But I still don't think she should have been barred from speaking.

Is it the word 'vagina' that was offensive, or that she alluded to him as being a rapist?
But I still don't think she should have been barred from speaking.
It was the allusion to raping women's rights that got her barred from speaking. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the way she said it, but the bill does outlaw abortion even in cases of rape, for what it's worth. Yeah, she definitely shouldn't have been barred from speaking though. Batshit-crazy laws are going to generate some flavorful comments.

It was the allusion to raping women's rights that got her barred from speaking. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the way she said it, but the bill does outlaw abortion even in cases of rape, for what it's worth. Yeah, she definitely shouldn't have been barred from speaking though. Batshit-crazy laws are going to generate some flavorful comments.
Well, I get why she said it..and I consider myself a feminist..
As a feminist and a woman, I would never say that to someone if I wanted to be taken seriously...
I can see how it caused an uproar. Which was stupid of her, because now people are all focused on this stupid little side issue, what she said and how she said it,
instead of the laws that need to be changed. There is something to be said for diplomacy and not rising to the occasion.
Cool, calm, well-reasoned and well executed speech that cuts to the heart of the matter without being overblown with rhetoric is what this movement needs..
Not more hysteria that will only become fodder for radio pundits.. There needs to be more strategizing and mobilizing in gaining support and changing minds than hissy fits in the courtroom.

This is where the (4th wave I guess) feminist movement loses me. It's inflated rhetoric. Now, for women to be sexually liberated we have to call ourselves "sluts" and accuse those who oppose our rights as being rapists..

Last edited:
Reactions: bamf