Human Rights | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Human Rights

I am a little hesitant to call these rights. Maybe "characteristics" or something that doesn't sound so "good" or "bad." I'd say rights are freedoms all humans should have within all social contracts, and privileges as abilities depending on the place within that society.

Really? I'm not all that mighty, but I have a homemade pistol.

a 7' muscle bound brickshithouse boxer could come up to fight me and I'd win.

Wouldn't you therefore say that "applied intelligence + ruthlessness + cunning + speed = right"?

No I would still say might makes right, if you have a hangup on the word might thats your problem. That same boxer carrying a sawed down shotgun with a hair trigger with thier finger perched on it will be much stronger the you. Might = force. If you are intelligent then you can use that as a method for generating force, a la leading others.

This thread isn't about the idea of what rights should we grant ourselves, but rather, what rights do we have?

Rights are something inherent, rather than something we'd like. The latter are privileges.

These are the three rights I believe all sapient creatures have:
  • To Take whatever you can take,
  • To Keep whatever you can defend,
  • To Take the consequences of your actions or inactions.

I do not think we have any more rights than those. What are your opinions on the matter?

I believe that, logically, might makes right (in the sense that, 'Rights' in this situation means things we ALL have). Morally, I wish everything would have the ability to live and coexist but, the process of living typically involves destroying something else (Unless you go vegetarian, but who's to say vegetables don't have feelings? haha). Other 'typical' universal rights are violated every day. At least the right to use your might is something every individual has to an extent, even working in a corporate society like america or the desert in africa.

But the only things we're entitled to, are those things which, without society, we'd have anyway.

They have to be self evident.

1. We'll never escape society.

2. Self-evident is very subjective. For example, see Locke (....life, health, liberty, and possessions....).

What if raping you makes me happy?

What if I rape you, and I want to continue enjoying my Liberty?

This thread isn't about the idea of what rights should we grant ourselves, but rather, what rights do we have?

Rights are something inherent, rather than something we'd like. The latter are privileges.

These are the three rights I believe all sapient creatures have:
  • To Take whatever you can take,
  • To Keep whatever you can defend,
  • To Take the consequences of your actions or inactions.

I do not think we have any more rights than those. What are your opinions on the matter?

I would write one more:
[*] To create

mating!

mate with animals....?

Mate with inanimate objects?