HSP and INFJ | INFJ Forum

HSP and INFJ

periodictoblerone

Regular Poster
Apr 19, 2018
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
What's your experience of being HSP and INFJ at the same time?

Long time ago I read that INFJ tend to be less sensitive and emotional than everybody (stereotypically) thinks of them, but there are lots of things beside MBTI. And one of them is being Highly Sensitive Person, and that can be a reason of experiencing too much feelings, too much emotions and sensations. What do you think of that?

Well, interestingly the experience of being HSP, while (at the time) not being aware of it, stopped me for a while from considering being INFJ. When I feel overwhelmed by certain stimuli I can get quite anxious and enter into modes that, back then with my superficial understanding of MBTI types, I interpreted as those of an ENFP. I thought that the emotional violence of some of my reactions was "too much" for an INFJ, while in fact I was just experiencing the feeling of being overwhelmed that is common for HSP people. And I guess I can experience that quite easily, especially if I'm sleep-deprived or stressed by work.

On the positive side of things, I feel like I enjoy music and film with a level of emotional intensity that not many people seem to. It's my impression, anyway.

Can we please stop using the prefix "too" in front of intense, sensitive and emotional?

There is no such thing.

Xx

Well, interestingly the experience of being HSP, while (at the time) not being aware of it, stopped me for a while from considering being INFJ. When I feel overwhelmed by certain stimuli I can get quite anxious and enter into modes that, back then with my superficial understanding of MBTI types, I interpreted as those of an ENFP. I thought that the emotional violence of some of my reactions was "too much" for an INFJ, while in fact I was just experiencing the feeling of being overwhelmed that is common for HSP people. And I guess I can experience that quite easily, especially if I'm sleep-deprived or stressed by work.

On the positive side of things, I feel like I enjoy music and film with a level of emotional intensity that not many people seem to. It's my impression, anyway.

Oh my, so true... Thank you very much :heartu: Hope you're having a nice day!

Because that would put a limit on what is acceptable. And such a limit is unacceptable and unreasonable to put into place. Right?

That's what I was talking about (not exactly, but you can see it in my question). I was speaking about some limits which exist just because of some stereotypes, that's why I used such, uh... incorrect construction. Actually I thought it was incorrect because, you know, you can't count your emotions :hiding: And I think there are some, again, average emotional levels that society has unconsciously created for itself during "evolution", haha. Thank you very much!! From on now I'll be more careful! (๑و•̀ω•́)و

That's what I was talking about (not exactly, but you can see it in my question). I was speaking about some limits which exist just because of some stereotypes, that's why I used such, uh... incorrect construction. Actually I thought it was incorrect because, you know, you can't count your emotions :hiding: And I think there are some, again, average emotional levels that society has unconsciously created for itself during "evolution", haha. Thank you very much!! From on now I'll be more careful! (๑و•̀ω•́)و

I interpreted your words as meaning that when you're going through these spikes of emotion as a HSP person, it can feel like it's "too much" for you to deal with. Which is definitely something I would relate to.

Sorry :sad: Can you please say why "too emotional" doesn't make sense?
No please, no need to apologise *hug*. You're fine :)

It's as Ginny said. "Too" implies you feel more than the "upper limit of acceptable". No, you feel what you feel and that's totally acceptable and okay :)

I think emotions are only individually quantifiable. It's not like you can tell from the outside how much or intensely they feel. Some may be overwhelmed by their own emotions, or the input they get from their surroundings, but I don't doubt that there are ways to learn how to get a grip on how to deal with it. That's where I suppose some "limit" might have come about. Society has come to expect of people to know how to deal with it, even though some have certain requirements that aren't accessible at all times.

I'm at the upper limit of everything

:coyotemeditating:

I think it's ok to define your own terms of what too much or too little of anything is. We have situational comparisons so we can gauge things based on our own experience.

So basically I think it's fine and even healthy to recognize when you might be too something. What's important is to not associate negative emotions with that recognition. It's just a notifier for potential learning and change.

So basically I think it's fine and even healthy to recognize when you might be too something. What's important is to not associate negative emotions with that recognition. It's just a notifier for potential learning and change.
Good point. :)

I interpreted your words as meaning that when you're going through these spikes of emotion as a HSP person, it can feel like it's "too much" for you to deal with. Which is definitely something I would relate to.

Yes, that's too! And sometimes I have REALLY LOTS OF emotions that they can literally feel as too much Pepsi inside of me, crazily splashing and gurgling :heartbubbles:

I think this hits home for me because I've always felt "too emotional" by other people's standards and I think that's just total bullshit because you should - as a human having a human experience - react to stuff emotionally since that's a human thing. Pretending like we don't have feelings is just some of the dumbest nonsense.

I think this hits home for me because I've always felt "too emotional" by other people's standards and I think that's just total bullshit because you should - as a human having a human experience - react to stuff emotionally since that's a human thing. Pretending like we don't have feelings is just some of the dumbest nonsense.

Y E S *hugs you if you okay with me hugging you of course*
I was so surprised when I understood that people can think that I'm emotionally "too much", or that they don't take things personally as I sometimes do (I can get on the edge of crying easily, and even more when I'm stressed or tired, and it always confuses me and others) :(

You're alright @periodictoblerone :sneakyhug:

Especially for your adorable usage of this fighting emoji (๑و•̀ω•́)و

Lolol