How patient are you? | INFJ Forum

How patient are you?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Do you find that your patience for people or situations vary by circumstance or situation? or are you patient in most if not all situations?

There is something very important I wish to say about the idea
of patience but do not currently have the words for. It will more
than likely end up being lengthy but for now I will simply summarize
what I wish to express. Patience is a variable-reaction. To leave
it at a grammatical level for the time being; patience is classified
as an adjective and not a noun because it is not a state or existence
it is a fleeting feeling and a classification of how one reacts to
annoyances and other such situations.

So yes, patience varies from circumstance to circumstance. So much
goes into how one reacts to a situation.

i am usually more patient when it's to my advantage not the other person's.
hey at least i admitted it. :p

I think there's something to be said for being knowingly patient vs. being patient as a perceived quality in someone. Someone can be patient without consciously thinking of themselves in this way. For example, I can sometimes display patience more easily when I realize someone has gone through similar situations as I have, so empathy increases my tolerance level. But for the most part, I'm less patient than I should be. I can also be impatient but not show it. So, it depends.

Reactions: barbad0s
Generally not. I get by on dissociation.

me and patience= oil and water.

I am more patient if the person is vulnerable, due to age, or learning difficulties, or whether the person is going through a bad time (Depression), or suffers from other mental health issues, as I find that my sense of compassion in these situations seems to motivate patience in me. However people who appear healthy and able bodied who show rudeness and a lack of kindness to others and a need to get ahead of other people I have very little patience for. I have very little patience for technology, as I am more a nuts and bolts spanner man. This is because I guess that I like to be in control, and if I'm confident that I can sort out problems, then I work towards solving any problem, however if that problem cannot be readily solved by my own efforts, I become frustrated which builds up my impatience. Just like when you have written a letter or piece of writing on your computer but did not save it, then to discover the computer has crashed, so that all that you have written was completely for nothing, then situations like this can test my patience.
I also do not like having to depend on others peoples help, but am quickly taken back with emotion if I receive help from others who have shown kindness.
I do however strive to practise patience, via meditation, my Art work and also keeping mindful of when talking to another person that a conversation isn't always about what I want to talk about, but that the other person might be looking for a kind of informal emotion support (Standing in someone else's shoes).
So I use a kind of tool box, made up with the tools of empathy, compassion, humility, insight, and focusing on ones own inner calmness (Mindfulness), to help me grow patience in all situations.
Before I got into meditation, I was a very impatient man, who would fall out with people readily, which always caused me great sadness as after calming down I would see that I had overreacted which would cause not only embarrassment, but sorrow, as I discovered that I had hurt other peoples feelings in the process.
So today I remember the law of cause and effect, and would rather try to keep my patience than create a scene where I could cause someone any pain.

Last edited:
It depends on the person. If you treat me in a respectful and civil manner then I'll do the same. Otherwise I have no time for you.

There are exceptions, people who just irritate me no matter how they act.

Sometimes I wake up on the right side of the bed and I have ample amounts of patience for everyone. Everything that might normally cause me to lose patience I see as a personal challenge to not lose my cool, and when I succeed at this it feels nice. When I sense myself becoming impatient I can see it for what it is and stop it in its tracks. But other days it is the opposite and any little petty annoyance that crosses my path gets my lips curling. It coincides with all kinds of things. What's been happening in my life recently? How am I feeling? All of that is going to effect how much patience I have on any given day.

Overall though, I think my patience level tends to be sort of reflective. I give back what people are giving to me. If the person I am dealing with is impatient, I'll probably channel that energy right back to them.

In the past, before I grew up a little, I'd do this sort of thing on purpose. Admittedly I am still tempted to do this now sometimes, but I have better self control. If someone was rushing me along and being pushy and/or rude, I'd purposely continue doing the things that were driving them nuts, probably in an exaggerated way as well. It was to prove a point and give them a taste of their own medicine, but there are better ways to go about such things. It's sure fun to see the steam blowing out of peoples ears though. Mwahaha...

When I'm driven, focused and trying to accomplish something I find interesting/exciting/invested in...not at all...leave me alone/get out of my way.

Most of the time I am indifferent, which tends to project this "go about your business, I'll just be waiting for you to finish". I try not to project angry or impatience quite a bit. I find that it flusters people and they in turn are slower which defeats the purpose.

Incompetence always seems to rouse the meanie gut in me though.

I am very patient when helping someone else perform a task. I can sit there and wait all day for someone to figure something out. But when the person has no interest in what I'm saying, or does not appreciate my help, I will just walk away. Even if the person is working on something for my benefit, I want nothing to do with them in that case. If the person is trying, but seems flat out stupid to me, I get very impatient. I will start to make smart remarks and can be a bit aggressive. I may try to push them out of the way, or just start telling the person what to do without explaining my reasoning.

Not as patient as I want, need or should be. It's something in which I have to make a constant effort.

Reactions: rawr
some say i'm rather patient; i don't think so.

Yes, very.

I tend to be patient with people but impatient with circumstance.

I am the most patient when trying to teach people how to do things, such as learning language (which is why I want to teach language, to adults preferably)--especially when I know they genuinely want to learn and are appreciating my help.

I think I'm basically patient towards everyone but my parents as I don't have a good relationship with them. I'm more patient with the elderly and children, and with people who are modest and generally keep to themselves and don't obstruct anyone's lives but are having a hard time.

That said, my mood is built up by tons of smaller occurrences throughout the day. If lots of unpleasant things are happening in my life, I will be made to be impatient and curt in many of my dealings with people. It tends to go along with the general feeling of anger and irritability in my mood. Lacking sleep is another big factor. Grumpy niffer is more likely to make an appearance in sleep deprived mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm extremely patient when it comes to learning new things. The patience is derived from my confidence in my ability to learn new things. I think I'm good at getting good at stuff. (pats self on back)

When dealing with others. Like [MENTION=2926]Bird[/MENTION] said, it's really a difficult question to answer. Sometimes it appears I'm being patient but in reality anger is building up inside of me. Is that patience? I don't think it really is. It depends on how the person is treating me and what their motives are. If the person is a good person but is just having difficulty with something I can be very patient. If someone talks down to me I lose my patience quickly.

I have no patience for immaturity or a severe lack of work ethic.

I feel impatient but people say I'm actually incredibly patient. I've actually gotten a lot of compliments from people about how very patient I am in circumstances that seem to drive them crazy... so I do reach a point where I get fed up and I feel impatient because of that, but I guess that point is much later than other people?

Do you find that your patience for people or situations vary by circumstance or situation? or are you patient in most if not all situations?

I am extremely patient usually- much more so than the vast majority of people in the U.S.. I know this because I was in Africa. Americans in general have little to no patience. Of course it does vary by circumstance, but I don't see the point in being the maniac driving around so fast like so many people these days.