How much can you handle? | INFJ Forum

How much can you handle?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
I was thinking tonight about how much I can handle - situations, problems, issues, crisis, etc. I was curious about my ability to handle more or less than I believed.

So, thought I'd pose the question.

How much can you handle whether socially, emotionally, situationally, etc.?

Were you always aware that you could handle as much as you do?

When and how did you realize you could handle less or more than you could?

Is there a significant difference in what you can handle vs. what others believed or felt you could handle? How did you learn that?

Last edited:
Reactions: lenina
Over the last years of my life, I have learned I can handle almost anything. However, I have also learned by experience when I do not have to put myself in such a situation unless I want to sometimes. Always looked at some situations as challenges; others, as unnecessary.

Reactions: Gaze

I'm a non-Newtonian liquid of stress, I can handle a great deal of stress for a while, but slow long lasting stress is the stuff that get's to me. Family member gets into a life or death accident, no problem, lose my job, no problem, stranded in a city with half a tank of gas and car that breaks down every other day, no big deal. Fighting for six plus months to get my financial aid so I can continue going to college, It's freaking killing me.

I was started to realize it about a year a go when my nephew got into a car accident that nearly killed him, I was the only one in my family that was calm about the whole incident the entire time.

Just having it piled on till I broke I guess. When dealing with the big stuff I can think and react clearly, but with things like this school aid and stuff similar drains me and sends me into a depressed spiral until I basically stop functioning.

Is there a significant difference in what you can handle vs. what others believed or felt you could handle? How did you learn that?

I don't particularly know, as I keep most of my problems to myself.

Reactions: Gaze

Tons until, like already mentioned, it becomes long-lasting. I did wildlife rescue (think EMT for wild birds) and performed fine with that stress on each call. I'm actually the kind of person people like having around when the stress level gets high since I don't really overreact to any of it.

It's the constant, long term stuff that doesn't have an immediate solution that really gets to me.

I've always been a low-key kind of a person. My mother told me that when I was young, before I could walk, if one of my toys rolled away from me, I would just pick up another and continue with that one.

Probably about the time my first girlfriend dumped me... I think that goes without saying for most of us though, doesn't it?

People usually think I can handle more than I really can. It doesn't really matter how much I can handle, it matters how much I want to handle. I know my breaking point and as I said, if it becomes long and evolved, I can snap like a twig!

I have no idea how to answer this question. I am good at surviving.

I have no idea how to answer this question. I am good at surviving.

You say that now, but just wait until you die. Then who's laughing

Emotional Handling Capacity: zero
Upgrades Available: none
Interest in Upgrades if Technology Developed: Absolutely None

Actually, I think @Barnabas said it well

I can handle a tremendous amount of things at once, even when stressed. However, physically, I cannot tolerate stress very well. It aggravates my arthritis which causes pain which makes me stressed which aggravates my arthritis which causes pain which makes me stressed.... I need to find ways to de-stress. Mindless activity usually helps--Se! Otherwise, I usually have a pretty hellacious physical reaction called an arthritic flare which f*cking sucks.

Edit: How much can I handle? When I can't walk, I usually have to stop.

Just about enough and then a pinch more :3

Scratch that.
Self-pity isn't cute.
I'll handle whatever comes. Sometimes graciously and sometimes not.
But it will be handled.

Last edited:
I once learned how much I could handle, but only when I surpassing my limits. I don't recommend this, but sometimes life just goes that way.

Physically, I got close to my limits climbing a mountain twice. I thought I was going lose it up there, but it sure was a pretty place to go.

-->How much can you handle?

I can perhaps handle anything. It might leave me shattered, crippled but nothing would take away my soul. Unless I will desire so if I get too tired of it.

-->Were you always aware that you could handle as much as you do?

No. It's something I still explore but over time the understanding just becomes more clear.

-->When and how did you realize you could handle less or more than you could?

There's no specific date or a time frame, it's just something that was always there, it's something I had to learn trying taking parts of the knowledge like a grain of salt, one at a time; however, sometimes there would be a pinch which offered more challenge.

-->Is there a significant difference in what you can handle vs. what others believed or -->felt you could handle? How did you learn that?

Yes. Some people were doubting me and still are.

- I can handle more emotionally than socially. I can can handle some situations better than others - not as personally affected by some situations than others, so I can function pretty well in those situations. Other situations are more difficult such as dealing with interpersonal stress.

- No. I had the impression growing up that I couldn't handle much. Didn't realize this was situational.

- When I actually had to deal with situations and didn't freak out or buckle under the stress as I thought I would.

- Yeah, in some sense. If you're not permitted to make your mistakes or figure things out on your own, you won't ever really know what you can handle or manage. You'll forever think you need someone's help or guidance.

How much can you handle whether socially, emotionally, situationally, etc.? I know how much, but I can't really say how much. I think it's all the same socially, emotionally, situationally. (I think they're somewhat interconnected, albeit it may be not always the case. Which raises a good questions on how to improve them separately..) Ignored the warnings, at my own risk, and paid the prices too. But either way, there's nowhere to go but being better, time by time.

Were you always aware that you could handle as much as you do? Nein. I often have to soldier myself and drag myself across the quicksand, whining and moaning and bitching and roaring in between, fearing and claiming and cursing that I will fall and oh God, is this the end line? But at the end, I looked back, wondered what REALLY happened,did I really survive through this? and said my prayers. Okay, sometimes not so religious (and do forgive me for that), but at the very least, I read it meta-wise as a challenge given From Above By Whoever, and I'm somewhat thankful. Albeit I hope I can feel less painful about handling it....which I guess was responded by giving me MORE problems. AH well, it's true either way. Life. :)

When and how did you realize you could handle less or more than you could? Afterwards, mostly looking back. The old wounds seems superficial, the past annoyance insignificant. But even then I understand that it's what had built me into what I am now, for better and worse. And what I felt right now will be the same in 5 years time. That's what I told myself.

Is there a significant difference in what you can handle vs. what others believed or felt you could handle? How did you learn that? Quite a lot, depending on whom. But the biggest difference is actually about whether if I'm willing to handle this problem or not.

Socially, a lot and I"ll chalk this one up to my childhood. I taught myself how to build a strong shell early on. Emotionally, my husband is the only one who can affect me. He's the only one who sees me flip out. We rarely fight, but when we do, I get scary. I don't have any close girlfriends anymore. I had falling outs with my last two about a year ago.

I think so. My father was a WWII survivor and we were very close. He taught me how to survive and what to prepare for. He was brutally real with me at an early age and never sugar coated anything.

Probably my first year teaching school, I think I was 22. If I could get that much out of my comfort zone, I could push myself to do anything. My father's death was another. It sounds morbid, but I had been preparing myself for his death since I was 6 when I realized he was a lot older than other dads. I still miss him every day, but I keep it together somehow.

People who don't really know me are surprised at what I can do/take. I have the patience of a saint until a point. It takes a lot for me to get there, but when I do, the Kill Bill siren starts playing in my mind and someones gonna get hurt>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccWosRY3fhI&feature=related