Finding My Place in the Sun
Banned
Mar 14, 2009
Australia
MBTI
INTJ - A
Enneagram
How does caffeine affect you?

I ask because caffeine has never made me feel more alert, or less sleepy; it just makes it easier not to fall asleep.

Are there any good substitutes to caffeine, which actually reduce sleepiness, and which aren't prohibited and/or illegal?

How does caffeine affect you?

I ask because caffeine has never made me feel more alert, or less sleepy; it just makes it easier not to fall asleep.

Are there any good substitutes to caffeine, which actually reduce sleepiness, and which aren't prohibited and/or illegal?

I avoid caffeine. A good substitute is chocolate. It wakes you up but doesn't stay in your system for that long. You can have a chocolate drink in the evening and it will make you more alert. But then within a couple of hours the effects will be gone so you can fall asleep. Plus now they have some really healthy high protein chocolate energy drinks which are like coffee drinks but with chocolate instead of caffeine. It seems caffeine can stay in your system for a long time which is great in the morning, not so much in the evening. Experiment and find something that works for you. There are so many options now. Or you could always try cocaine. Not that I recommend it.

Reactions: Bellosome and Rcs6r
You can make your own concoction of ginko, ginseng and b12. Based on what you react more to/need more of it'll give you a good kick.

I'm addicted to caffeine so it helps me be normal. I get a bit of a kick from it once I've hit the sweet spot (1 1/2 cups of coffee or 3 sodas or whatever combo) in the amount but if I go beyond that I get jitters and foggyness and it loses its effectiveness.

Reactions: sassafras
Initially after drinking caffeinated beverage (see: coffee), I begin to feel more perky and alert, and then–
tumblr_o0q476clWC1r93976o1_500.gif

This lasts for many hours.

During this phase, my appetite can get suppressed and I have to pee a lot. Afterwards, towards the second half of the day usually, I become thirsty and drowsy; sometimes there's a headache.

Exercise, a good night's rest, and healthy diet.

I don't drink caffeinated drinks because they upset my stomach and make me nervous. I used to love coffee and espresso. I still love the smell of coffee. Now I drink protein shakes packed with vitamins.

I compare it to alcohol wothout the inhibition. In more talkative and focused. Happier and perky. Definitely a staple in my day. Lol.

I can't have any after 5pm or I won't be sleeping. At all. So I have to be careful.

Reactions: Bellosome
Caffeine is my life's blood. Without it, I would cease to exist.

This:
You can make your own concoction of ginko, ginseng and b12. Based on what you react more to/need more of it'll give you a good kick.

B-12 or B-complex gives quite the boost when taken regularly. Add to that ginko and ginseng, and you'll feel more alert, energetic, and focused.

Haha laughing [MENTION=13729]Free[/MENTION] that's how I describe my relationship with caffeine. It is the life blood and I am useless without it.

I don't know what it does to me.. I just know that my mornings go a hell of a lot better with at least 3 of them in me.

I'm way too sensitive to it. A couple cups of black tea at lunch is enough to keep me up all night. If I drink too much, I start having stomach acid issues, and I cannot drink coffee at all.

I'm limited to a cup of green in the mornings and some herbal in the events, unfortunately.

I'm way too sensitive to it. A couple cups of black tea at lunch is enough to keep me up all night. If I drink too much, I start having stomach acid issues, and I cannot drink coffee at all.

I'm limited to a cup of green in the mornings and some herbal in the events, unfortunately.

Girl, I hear you. This is me exactly. Now tea I can drink all day, but coffee makes my stomach way too acidic and I feel so jittery just after one cup. No thank you. It smells intoxicating, though.

How does caffeine affect you? I ask because caffeine has never made me feel more alert, or less sleepy; it just makes it easier not to fall asleep.
It doesn't do anything for me in things like cola, but in coffee, it makes me feel a little more alert. I do feel like it elevates my stress levels though.

Taurine which is in most energy drinks like redbull is legal, I wouldn't recommend it in a high dosage though, this is the stuff that can make it feel like your heart will physically explode if you drink a lot of energy drinks. It's a pretty dangerous substance in a way so if you drink energy drinks, try not to use more than one all evening.

The most legal and safe way ofc, is to adopt a lifestyle where you aren't forced to stay awake longer than your body asks.

Coffee makes me more alerted also as some others have said on this thread. I really need my cup(s) of coffee in the morning so the day can really start! I feel like something is missing if I don't get coffee after I wake up. I can't drink it in the evenings though, it doesn't keep me awake in the night (very good sleeping skills, lol) but because it stimulants the nervous system, my heart starts beating faster and then feeling more stressed and nervous, so better to only drink it in the mornings. Loooove it. <3

I don't really get much of an effect from it. I only drink it now, because I've grown to like the taste.

The only time I'm really affected by coffee is when I'm tired. Oddly enough, in that state I find coffee makes me feel even more sluggish and sleepy.

I used to hold that same belief that coffee had no effect. It is then you are doing it wrong.

Coffee requires control/restraint to work properly.
You need a large dose infrequently. Instead of drinking 5 cups of nasty (pronounced NERSTY!) ass watery coffee a day, I drink 1 cup (more like one 16oz mug) of rich coffee a day (brewed with 4 tbsp ground coffee).
Of course caffeine builds up in your system, so you have to stop for a day or two.

What I learned is that coffee does not wake me up, it only enhances my energy. So I'm much better off drinking a cup after I am well-rested. If trying to wake yourself up is the goal, coffee is not the answer. If your goal is to be enthusiastic about what you need to do, coffee can do it.

Nootropics like Modafinil are the best alternative to caffeine. Their legal status varies from country to country. Some can be purchased online as nutritional supplements, sometimes they can be purchased OTC in pharmacies, in countries with tight regulation they are prescription only.

I'm horribly sensitive to caffeine, so I avoid it as much as possible. To elaborate, I've had days where I had one glass (8-12 oz) of soda around 8-10Am and it kept me up until 4am.

Instead of caffeine, I avoid all morning activities before 8 or 9 and I try to not wake up until at least 730 when possible. This usually helps curb the need for caffeine, however my job situation may require that to change in the near future.

I like the smell but utterly detest the taste of the dirty bean water widely known as coffee. The closest thing I can have to it is a mocha frape'. But considering how sensitive I am to caffeine this may not be an entirely bad thing.

Coffee is one of the best things on earth. I just want to know who the first person was to figure it out and for that matter...how?

I'm horribly sensitive to caffeine, so I avoid it as much as possible. To elaborate, I've had days where I had one glass (8-12 oz) of soda around 8-10Am and it kept me up until 4am.

Instead of caffeine, I avoid all morning activities before 8 or 9 and I try to not wake up until at least 730 when possible. This usually helps curb the need for caffeine, however my job situation may require that to change in the near future.

I like the smell but utterly detest the taste of the dirty bean water widely known as coffee. The closest thing I can have to it is a mocha frape'. But considering how sensitive I am to caffeine this may not be an entirely bad thing.

Dirty bean water... that is probably one of the most offensive, non free society, anti human things I have ever heard.