how do you interact with sensors? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

how do you interact with sensors?

Just like I’d engage with any other person, or indeed, living thing – I’d be myself and enjoy the moment.

Plus, I tend to invite people to tell me who they are as opposed to deciding that for them beforehand, as it regards their preferences or otherwise.

cheers,
Ian

The people I know who are sensors are ones who have taken the MBTI and shared their results with me, and honestly, I've never had any problems with any of them. I just happen to be in a position to know what a lot of people's MBTIs are, and I just keep that in mind when interacting with them, but only in a vague sort of way, and I definitely wouldn't use it to prejudge people.

The people I know who are sensors are ones who have taken the MBTI and shared their results with me, and honestly, I've never had any problems with any of them. I just happen to be in a position to know what a lot of people's MBTIs are, and I just keep that in mind when interacting with them, but only in a vague sort of way, and I definitely wouldn't use it to prejudge people.

Death to sensors.

Earlier, you mentioned that you felt there was a 'conversational chasm' between sensors and intuitives. Can you explain what you mean? What makes you think that it's sensing versus intuiting that perpetuates this difficulty in communication? Since you know their MBTI types (depending on the method of testing, I'd caution it might be a hit or a miss) you'd be in a pretty good position to answer for which function pairs are more challenging than others.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around what it is that people think it the chief difference between intuitive and sensing communication styles that makes interacting with 'sensors' a challenge. After all, like intuition, sensing is only a way of gathering information subconsciously and is only outwardly expressed when it is paired with a judging function. Is it Se+Ti? Or Si+Te? Or Se+Fi? or Si+Fe? Which sensing function pairs cause the disconnect? Certainly it can't be all of them... they're all radically different.

Earlier, you mentioned that you felt there was a 'conversational chasm' between sensors and intuitives. Can you explain what you mean? What makes you think that it's sensing versus intuiting that perpetuates this difficulty in communication? Since you know their MBTI types (depending on the method of testing, I'd caution it might be a hit or a miss) you'd be in a pretty good position to answer for which function pairs are more challenging than others.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around what it is that people think it the chief difference between intuitive and sensing communication styles that makes interacting with 'sensors' a challenge. After all, like intuition, sensing is only a way of gathering information subconsciously and is only outwardly expressed when it is paired with a judging function. Is it Se+Ti? Or Si+Te? Or Se+Fi? or Si+Fe? Which sensing function pairs cause the disconnect? Certainly it can't be all of them... they're all radically different.

That wasn't me who said that? Not sure who did.

I think it is a problem with the MBTI system or maybe a problem with my understanding of it.

What is a sensor supposed to be anyways?

I think it is a problem with the MBTI system or maybe a problem with my understanding of it.

What is a sensor supposed to be anyways?

Sensor: The stupidest bunch of assholes not on the internet.

Just like I’d engage with any other person, or indeed, living thing — I’d be myself and enjoy the moment.

Plus, I tend to invite people to tell me who they are as opposed to deciding that for them beforehand, as it regards their preferences or otherwise.

cheers,
Ian

Yep, what he said.

How do I interact with them?

Like everyone else I interact with, I think.

I've studied the functions and all that and still can't type myself. I have at various times considered ENTP,INTP,ISTP,ISTJ,ISFJ,ENFP,INFP,and even INFJ

To make things worse people often suggest "you could be an INTP with a weak Ti and a strong Fe" or something like that.

Does it make me an intuitive if I say "This room seems Africa," or does it make me sensor if I claim to be able to remember 50 digits of pi?

I find the MBTI forums like this one to have a lot of interesting people from different walks of life though so I frequent them.

Reactions: sassafras
I've studied the functions and all that and still can't type myself. I have at various times considered ENTP,INTP,ISTP,ISTJ,ISFJ,ENFP,INFP,and even INFJ

To make things worse people often suggest "you could be an INTP with a weak Ti and a strong Fe" or something like that.

Does it make me an intuitive if I say "This room seems Africa," or does it make me sensor if I claim to be able to remember 50 digits of pi?

I find the MBTI forums like this one to have a lot of interesting people from different walks of life though so I frequent them.

My experience has been if you cant decide you are probably N or INFJ. If you have an easy time settling for any type you are probably some variant of S.

Fair points raised by all. Since posting this I've officially learned the type of more people in my daily associations and you are quite right that it is not strictly an "S" issue. I was using "S" as a scapegoat for my frustrations with certain people. Some of my favorite people are "S's" and some of my least favorite turned out to be N's. Personal values, interests, and shades of temperament not assessed by MBTI certainly also have a big influence on how I/we click with people and these were also confounding my impression of "S's."

I act pretty much the same with sensors as I do intuitives. For the most part though, both are great. It just all depends.

I agree with TDHT, it seems that we see "sensor" the cause of all the issues we have with other peoples while it is more likely that the problem is I vs E, F vs T or J vs P. There is also a world of difference between sensors and they have also communication problems among them: SP vs SJ is a huge one. I think it would be better to pin point what exactly you don't like about the communication of others. Most of the cases you both are on the opposite side of the preference line. So this hold a perfect opportunity to learn about the other side so you can shift more to the middle and become more balanced and flexible. In my experience it just takes understanding to get improvement. Work on your own communication skills, find a middle ground and the other person will most likely join you there. It doesn’t mean you have to give up your preferred communication style but just abandon it from time to time

also INFJ's are one of the types with the least experience in communication, being an introvert and an intuitive who is not much present in the here and now, we tend to have less social skills then other types. So maybe we have to consider the fact that the problem we have with other types is due to our own inability in social contact.

How I interact with sensors? I know that it is very difficult to know other peoples type but since the majority of people are sensors and I have 1 common problem with the majority of the people around me, I guess this problem is related to N vs S. The problem is interests and the way they are interested in a subject. It is hard to explain because it is so subtle but it seems that most people around me seem to stay more on the surface of subjects while I like to go more in debt. Even when we are interested in the same subject, the way we want to talk about it is so much different.
To give an example when I have a problem with another person and needs to talk about it, I like to not only tell what is in front of my eyes but also like to talk about aspects like “what is the underlying problem”, “how can I grow from this”, “what can be the point of view of the other person that I can’t see right now”, ... While when a sensor has a problem with someone, most of the times they just want to get their frustrations out and there the conversation stops. And when I then start about “what can we learn from this”, ... they are not really interested anymore and would rather get an ice cream.
Or when I was in Jordan with a friend of mine in the beautiful desert of Wadi Rum, I wanted to talk with her about the astonishing view and how it made me feel while she talked about the shower. We where both interested in the country and we both had a great trip, but in such a different way!
It leaves me behind hungry, sad and lonely because I want to get more out of a conversation while most people doesn’t have a clue what more I want. They are content with conversations the way they are, why can’t I?

I agree with TDHT, it seems that we see "sensor" the cause of all the issues we have with other peoples while it is more likely that the problem is I vs E, F vs T or J vs P. There is also a world of difference between sensors and they have also communication problems among them: SP vs SJ is a huge one. I think it would be better to pin point what exactly you don't like about the communication of others. Most of the cases you both are on the opposite side of the preference line. So this hold a perfect opportunity to learn about the other side so you can shift more to the middle and become more balanced and flexible. In my experience it just takes understanding to get improvement. Work on your own communication skills, find a middle ground and the other person will most likely join you there. It doesn’t mean you have to give up your preferred communication style but just abandon it from time to time

also INFJ's are one of the types with the least experience in communication, being an introvert and an intuitive who is not much present in the here and now, we tend to have less social skills then other types. So maybe we have to consider the fact that the problem we have with other types is due to our own inability in social contact.

How I interact with sensors? I know that it is very difficult to know other peoples type but since the majority of people are sensors and I have 1 common problem with the majority of the people around me, I guess this problem is related to N vs S. The problem is interests and the way they are interested in a subject. It is hard to explain because it is so subtle but it seems that most people around me seem to stay more on the surface of subjects while I like to go more in debt. Even when we are interested in the same subject, the way we want to talk about it is so much different.
To give an example when I have a problem with another person and needs to talk about it, I like to not only tell what is in front of my eyes but also like to talk about aspects like “what is the underlying problem”, “how can I grow from this”, “what can be the point of view of the other person that I can’t see right now”, ... While when a sensor has a problem with someone, most of the times they just want to get their frustrations out and there the conversation stops. And when I then start about “what can we learn from this”, ... they are not really interested anymore and would rather get an ice cream.
Or when I was in Jordan with a friend of mine in the beautiful desert of Wadi Rum, I wanted to talk with her about the astonishing view and how it made me feel while she talked about the shower. We where both interested in the country and we both had a great trip, but in such a different way!
It leaves me behind hungry, sad and lonely because I want to get more out of a conversation while most people doesn’t have a clue what more I want. They are content with conversations the way they are, why can’t I?

Lmao. This describes my experience with sensors exactly. I have admitted that I get along with plenty of senors fine and some are even good colleagues and friends of mine, but there will inevitably be moments where I see a conversational path that I want to explore that they won't follow me down.

I guess that is where the "learning" begins--to stop analyzing everything to its death; to leave some things at a simple happy truth. That's wonderful for a friend, but in an intimate relationship, I'm definitely going to need some "N"--we could then keep some sensors as platonic company to help us get out of our heads once in a while.

Sorry, my idealism is showing again :).

Sensor: The stupidest bunch of assholes not on the internet.

Of COURSE we're not on the internet. It's because we're actually out doing things rather than spending all our time here on the internet!

Also, a few tips from an ISTP for interacting with a sensing type:
  • Speak as literally as possible, as sensing types don't think in "big pictures" like intuitives do
  • Mind the details
  • Try not to let your mind wander, and just be in the moment (should be specifically helpful for NJs)
  • Be grateful for all that simply is, and learn to deal with it
  • Mind the details
  • Keep your words succinct, not more than a couple of sentences (especially for SPs)
  • Value the little things, as well as simplicity
  • And finally, mind the details

Frankly, I appreciate some of the posts here being short, sweet and to the point.