How do you find good friends and relationships if you can't be bothered about socializing? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Featured How do you find good friends and relationships if you can't be bothered about socializing?

Discussion in 'Relationships and Sociology' started by selfHater07, Mar 7, 2020.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 14 users.
More threads by selfHater07
  1. Somnium

Somnium Regular Poster

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    Somewhere in the middle of my story's book.
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5w6
    Couldn’t agree more.

2. OP
    selfHater07

selfHater07 Regular Poster

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Germany
    Unfortunately I haven't yet managed to like myself.

I'd ideally like some face to face interactions.

These days, deep inside, I'd actually like to go out and meet people, but I just don't know where and how to start. I'm in a relatively new city, I only know 3 people here and my German is yet far from fluent, so I have no idea where I can go for socializing which I can fit in and will enjoy. I have signed up for a meetup next week, I will see how it goes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    barbad0s, Aneirin, April and 2 others like this.
  3. Asa

Asa Resident palindrome

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I had an idea, self. What if you took up photography as a hobby? If you can afford a SLR you can bring it with you to events. It is something to "hide" behind and pay attention to when you're feeling overwhelmed by people, or help break the ice because people may approach you to talk about photography or your camera. It's so much more interesting than hiding behind a phone. You could potentially meet people by asking to take their pictures on the street or at events, or asking people to pose for you (once you get OK at it). If you set up an Instagram or Flickr you could give that account as a contact point if people want to see the pictures, then follow back people who interest you and start up small conversations. It would be something interesting about you that may attract people, too. It may be easier to make friends and meet women. People accept more social quirkiness from "artists", too.
    You seem like the type who would enjoy the technical side of photography and excel at it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    selfHater07, April, JustPhil and 6 others like this.
  4. Somnium

Somnium Regular Poster

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    Somewhere in the middle of my story's book.
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5w6
    Seriously good idea! Thinking about it, I’m really into photography and it’s provided me some good social experiences. It’s always good to have something you can chitchat more initially so further topics will flow naturally once you get to talk more with someone.
    You’ve also mentioned you like doing things privately, but what about taking them to a social level? In order to connect with people you know are going to have at least something in common to talk about, you can try to do things you like outside sometimes.
    Reading? You can try going out to bookstores and libraries.
    Cooking? Cuisine events might happen once in a while, such as fairs, workshops or even taking a course on it.
    Traveling? Agencies tend to have fairs on traveling abroad, living somewhere else, exchanges, professional matters, etc.
    Connecting with people through things you enjoy doing make it less complicated. So try to think where would those people frequently go ;)

Aneirin, April, InTRovErT34 and 3 others like this.
  5. SpecialEdition

SpecialEdition THANKS RUG

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    FEELINGS
    I hate to say it, but socializing and making connections and forming a network is WORK. Even fostering the friendships I already have is work. Finding time to meet up, carving out space to have conversations and catch up and everything else is work. As adults we all have our own lives, our own priorities, our own shit we need to get done and often times we don't have as much casual space to hang out with other people as we did growing up. Once you're in the age bracket where most of your friends marry and have kids it becomes even more difficult.

Finding new connections even for myself is challenging because it takes an additional amount of energy to build a new pathway with someone else that feels like we're connected in some way to the degree that we might actually want to put forth the effort to talk, even online. It just doesn't happen a lot. When I lived across the country I did make some friends, but very, very few. It's just a lot of work and to be honest, I wasn't interested in putting in that much effort because I had other things going on that were of a higher priority.

I can go out to any place and have a conversation with anyone at anytime with relative ease, but everything after that takes effort that I just don't feel like putting in most of the time. I think that's why it's better to have 1 or 2 places you go regularly where you may see some of the same people regularly because it frees up the effort it would take to generate those meetups otherwise, like going out for a drink or a meal or whatever. That's how I prefer to do things these days anyway. At least then the setting is provided for you. The rest is up to you.

barbad0s, April, JustPhil and 5 others like this.
  6. OP
    selfHater07

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Germany
    Excellent suggestion. I have actually taken up more of a keen interest in photography recent, especially after realizing that I'm actually not bad at it(only with my Samsung though) and made an instagram account where I only put food and nature pics. Yeah, I've been thinking about buying a DSLR lately. I also happen to like fashion, so I can probably take up an interest in fashion pics as well. Thanks.

7. Asa

Asa Resident palindrome

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Those are great ways to meet people. It gives people something to talk about with you and it makes you more interesting to people from a distance, when before, they'd have to talk with you to learn how interesting you are.
    I'd follow an IG like that.

selfHater07, Aneirin, April and 2 others like this.
  8. Ren

Ren Pin's android

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    458 spsx
    You'll only become more elitist if you continue hanging out in the anteroom *whistles*

April, InTRovErT34 and dragulagu like this.
  9. dragulagu

dragulagu Galactic Explorer

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Enneagram:
    Mind sharing the instagram or some pictures? Always interesting to check works of people. And yeah, with today's smartphones it's already impressive what these can produce, thanks to software post-processing.

For the DSLR, get a popular budget model or a cheap one on the 2nd hand market (ideally one with a lens) for around 200-300 USD. I got an older model 2nd hand myself, a Canon EOS 60D, it's still a proper DSLR camera and good as a starter kit. The lens is more important anyway, but as a starter setup the stock lens is good enough.

No worries Ren, I'll be doing one more update and then the stage is all yours.

10. Ren

Ren Pin's android

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    458 spsx
    Dammit, I still have to wait! :p

April, Sandie33 and dragulagu like this.
  11. dragulagu

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Enneagram:
    Dude, that book isn't easy material. I'll get to it, no worries.

April, Sandie33 and Ren like this.
  12. Ren

Ren Pin's android

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    458 spsx
    Oh, I know. I was only pretending to be upset.

Ya know, I'm French. ;)

13. dragulagu

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Enneagram:
    I'm Belgian.
    [​IMG]

14. OP
    selfHater07

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Germany
    My Instagram is hedoni.faisal

Thanks a lot for all the advice regarding the cameras. Please don't expect any quality from my pics at all. (place the hiding face monkey emoji which couldn't find here :D) By the sound of your writing, I assume you are very good at photography, I don't think mine would be any match to yours.

dragulagu and April like this.
  15. dragulagu

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Enneagram:
    Those are some nice shots man, I like the ice tower and snail shots.
    Nope, just did a couple days of research back thenn when buying my DSLR, I use it as amateur for some shots when selling stuff. And I mostly take pictures with my phone myself on travel.

selfHater07 and April like this.
  16. April

April Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    I bought a Nikon D5300 a few years ago to take on photography. Have taken some beautiful photos with it, but it sits in its bag now, waiting for me to take it out and play lol. I take most photos with my phone, and only take the Nikon out for traveling and family shots. I got the entire kit and a few accessories for $699 but I am sure you could find one just as good or almost as good for a lot cheaper now. :)

selfHater07, Aneirin and dragulagu like this.
  17. ReasonEnduring

ReasonEnduring Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Skeptic
    Well Good Friends, as in the kind you can call on for help - I don't have many.

I invest more in family. I find blood ties are a good basis for reliable support. They help when I need it so whilst friends would be nice I can survive without too many close companions.

Beyond that, you kind of just have to get used to going out. Charities, events etc. Whatever you do that makes you happy you need to get out and do it because the world moves without us.

You can either opt in or isolate yourself but in the end its your own option.

Make sure you invest in yourself a bit first though. Get some self-respect because people who lack confidence don't project very well.

I didn't get that until my late 20s but the earlier you can do it the better.

18. Horatio

Horatio Regular Poster

Threads:
    MBTI:
    WHAT
    Enneagram:

You don't.

Rit4lin, J. Cardigan and ruji like this.
  19. barbad0s

barbad0s ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Threads:
    MBTI:
    POOP
    There is a cool website called chatroulette

20. OP
    selfHater07

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Germany
    lol...I think I've been through that phase decade ago

barbad0s likes this.