How do you feel about insecurities?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy

How do you address them?

What effect do they have on your sense of self?

Last edited:
*Title changed as per request*

I have questioned my various insecurities over the years and come to the point of accepting that I am just not as good at some things as I am at others things. It's a matter of hard-wiring....at some things I will excell, at other things not so much. It's no scandal really, in fact this seems quite natural. Given the chance, trying to be something (or someone) I am not will inevitably give rise to insecurity...I just decided to take my strengths and weaknesses in stride.

I went through DBT therapy for a year and learned a lot about my insecurities and fears. One of the best things you can do to strengthen yourself is to put yourself in a controlled situation where you can practice that skill. Do you have a problem being up front with strangers? Make reservations at a nice restaurant and then call back in an hour and cancel them. The restaurant probably doesn't care and it gives you a chance to deal with your fear. If you keep confronting it, eventually it won't be as "scary" anymore.

I have questioned my various insecurities over the years and come to the point of accepting that I am just not as good at some things as I am at others things. It's a matter of hard-wiring....at some things I will excell, at other things not so much. It's no scandal really, in fact this seems quite natural. Given the chance, trying to be something (or someone) I am not will inevitably give rise to insecurity...I just decided to take my strengths and weaknesses in stride.

Agree.

Last edited:
Original post edited. :smile:

How do you address them?

What effect do they have on your sense of self?

I do have them, and recently I decided to address them. I know that there will always be more, and fighting insecurities is a perpetual fight, but I've made my peace with it. What I find interesting, though, is that people seem to think that it is always bad to show that you are insecure about something or about yourself, and I don't agree with that kind of thinking. For me acknowledging you weaknesses, not hiding them when it is not necessary and addressing them is a strength of ones character.

In order to address them properly I started building self-discipline (lack of it is something that I think that prevented me earlier to address my weaknesses properly). Confronting myself continually and examining the root of the cause seems to help.

I don't see my insecurities as a strong part of my personality, but rather changeable and fluid, which is the reason why I'm free of guilt for having them, and able to think what to do with them as well do something about them.

Reactions: Gaze