How do you express your spirituality? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How do you express your spirituality?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by slant, Feb 11, 2020.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 18 users.
More threads by slant
  1. John K

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5W4 549
    :<3orange::<3green::<3orange:

Thanks mintoots. I think religions are important because some of the best signposts come from them, and (very importantly) they carry us when we are spiritually lost, frightened or low . But people confuse religious signposts with the goal - and they can hide things in a concealing fog that’s more about safety and control than spiritual experience.

0E59CB98-8C2E-45C5-ACD4-C6C180E47E4B.jpeg

But without some sort of religion we are alone in the void - this isn’t an experience that many of us can easily withstand. Those of us who are like that can just lurk on the edges, play with their spirituality and get nowhere.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    PapillonT, Cornerstone, Wyote and 4 others like this.
  2. mintoots

mintoots hematopoietic

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2w1
    I'm just nodding in agreement. I wholeheartedly agree with the signposts. I have a long way to go through this journey but I can't explain how I profoundly understand what you mean. To me these signposts are manifestations of God although in no way will it look like Jesus or Buddha or Allah. To me God is more the burning bush I'll never be able to see. This is why it resonates with me.

@JennyDaniella's mention of us being made of stardust is also a good point. I recognize this too but deep within me is a recognition of an intuition that there's something else more ethereal to living. Maybe it's a meaning I designate to life to make it worthwhile but even then it is integral to me and every other being I encounter.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    hithere, Wyote, Hostarius and 3 others like this.
  3. Wyote

Wyote Xenoi
    Staff Member Administrator

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Ni Space
    Enneagram:
    9 Seas
    In my late teens/early twenties I wrote a lot about this void, it's something I understood on a visceral level.
    I had forgotten about all of those thoughts and emotions until reading this, so thanks for reminding me :)

slant, hithere, G4RiiM and 3 others like this.
  4. hithere

hithere Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    It's interesting that stardust and this void are both being mentioned here.
    I was just reading about both of those in a similar context and the coincidence is weird.
    I was reading this book based on kabbalah (I enjoy reading about kabbalah, but don't even consider myself as scratching the surface. There's this principle that's used in kabbalah - any word, any concept, anything we use to allude to certain ideas is only the manifestation of that idea in this dimension/ level. The more 'real' forms of those ideas are pretty much beyond comprehension. Or something like that.)

Anyway, according to kabbalah there were seven worlds created and destroyed before this one, whatever that means, and the way it's described in material terms is that each "world" was a "king" with a universe-encompassing empire.
    Problem was each of those "kings", although enlightened beyond our understanding, missed their mark and succumbed to narcissism on their level.
    So those worlds "fell" and are known as the "shattered vessels"
    When the vessels shattered, the lights from the vessels got reabsorbed to their root back on high.
    Yet some of the light got trapped in the vessel's walls before they shattered and they are known as "sparks".
    These trapped sparks (each trapped to a different extent) incarnate through time, objects and people. And these sparks yearn to reunite with their root on high, (hence that "void" but there are more ways, including a more comprehensive and profound one that I don't really entirely understand, in kabbalah to describe that void. This is one angle, I guess) but in order to do so, they must overcome their tendency towards narcissm.
    As humans, our job is to release those sparks, wherever they may be. Our actual core is made up of "released lights" but we all have "sparks" within ourselves and without that are assigned to us to release.
    There's a lot more to it than that, and honestly, I don't understand it much.
    So don't take my word for any of this.
    Just an interesting thought and I wanted to share.

#24 hithere, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    acd, slant, flower and 3 others like this.
  5. Cornerstone

Cornerstone Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Pisces
    Enneagram:
    Metal Goat
    For me, nowadays, it's in my interactions with other people, the odd animal, and a smattering of inanimate objects.

You can read my blog (not a thread) here to see how I used to be. I'm pretty embarrassed by that now because I was so resistant to the mystery that I was trying to systematise my experiences and make them make sense. It was a defence against the experience of God.

I still do it now to a much lesser degree but, as I said in the first paragraph, my sense of spirituality is kindled at random times and I just go with it for a while provided I'm alone. Seeing myself and other people, indeed all that is, as extensions or reflections or embodiments, or perhaps the physical manifestation, of, well, God, I suppose, has changed the way I interact with others massively, albeit mostly in my work and what could almost be described as a social life.

Other than that there's still a near-constant dialogue between my present self and higher self but I have neglected this in part because I was so guns-blazing before that I'm overly hesitant now. The higher self is not my ego-ideal, id, or supergo, they're still there and arguably taking precendent. This... I don't know what...is quiet and doesn't demand anything but is always there, almost tangibly so, when I allow myself to let it be...felt? I don't know, I struggled to end that sentence.

I've also turned back to Christianity in many ways because I have nothing thorough enough to replace it with. Also, for me, the garden of Gethsemane passage is especially moving.

PapillonT, acd, Rit4lin and 5 others like this.
  6. Pin

Pin "Magnificent Bastard" / Ren's Counterpart

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    3w4, 3-8-7
    I have been infatuated before, prepared to drop everything, prepared to travel great distances in order to realize a sacrificial sort of love. Today this would be called simping, but it was once seen as a noble endeavor.

Theologically, Jesus Christ simps for us all of the time. He was tortured on a cross in order to spare us a worse fate and I just continue to fail him, we continue to fail him. It's all quite astounding. After all of our failures and faults, he still loves us.

What a man.

#26 Pin, Jul 13, 2020
    slant, acd, mintoots and 4 others like this.
  7. tovlo

tovlo Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w5- 469
    For me, now, it is probably nature. It's been many different things at different times.

You might find this an interesting website for exploring various practices:

https://www.spiritualityandpractice.com/

John K, Kgal, Wyote and 3 others like this.
  8. Panfan

Panfan Regular Poster

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I was raised in religious family so I guess spirituality comes naturally to me.

I think there’s something wonderful about being connected to the higher being. This has helped me in facing many challenges in the past. It’s comforting to know that there is an existence above me who is in control of everything. It also gives me hope that I can be better person today.

I think it’s about faith and what I genuinely believe in.

9. GreenTea

GreenTea Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Spirituality for me is being aware of my true nature.

I practice it through meditation and being aware of stillness during my day. Spending time in nature is good. I see helping others as being an expression of spirituality too.

PapillonT, John K, Kgal and 5 others like this.
  10. flower

flower
    Forum Greeter

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1 sx
    Spirituality to me is about connectedness and oneness to all living beings around us like other people, animals and nature, especially. Feeling a deep sense of appreciation for life and living itself, how all is connected. Life is precious and beautiful.

My expression of spirit is love, striving to love others by showing kindness, helping and caring others; sometimes only a genuine smile to someone is all you need. Love for animals and nature. Love towards oneself in the form of meditation and self-awareness, feeling contentment in the silence and just being – quiet the thoughts so your innermost self can come through. Growth of a person as a whole as trying to become a better human being. Another expression of spirit is music, deeply connecting to the melodies of the songs, how it enhances the human spirit in such a joyful way.

#30 flower, Jul 13, 2020
    PapillonT, John K, Kgal and 5 others like this.
  11. acd

acd Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    I'm old. I had to Google "simp."
    Christ simped for your sins. You're a riot. :laughing:

flower, John K, Aneirin and 4 others like this.
  12. Pin

Pin "Magnificent Bastard" / Ren's Counterpart

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Enneagram:
    3w4, 3-8-7
    :laughing:

flower, John K and acd like this.
  13. Ren

Ren Pin's android / The Maker / ≅ INFP

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4-5-8
    I express it in my writing, especially (so far) my more philosophical writing.

flower, John K, Wyote and 5 others like this.
  14. GreenTea

GreenTea Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Went swimming in the sea this morning. It felt similar to praying or meditating. Left the beach feeling peaceful and connected to everything around me.

flower, John K, Kgal and 7 others like this.
  15. QuirkyLemonFlower

QuirkyLemonFlower Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    This thread was so nice to read - it was quite heart warming.

For me spirituality is through my religion. I didn't grow up in a strictly religious home but faith was still strong but it wasn't imposed or forced on me to pray regularly etc. I found that my religion helped me through some really hard times and this has helped me and still helps me to this day. I don't think I'd survive without it because it comforts me knowing that there is a higher being looking over me. So I express my spirituality through my daily prayers and also my clothing - I like the idea of having faith in a higher being greater than my self.

hithere, flower, John K and 3 others like this.
  16. Sorn

Sorn Regular Poster

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    As a Christian I believe in miracles, in supernatural things that still happen today.
    But it's not just a believing. I am a person who is very much influenced by what I see.
    When I close my eyes I always see some kind of images.
    I also daydream a lot, because it inspires me and gives me new thoughts.
    And very often it has happened that I have seen things from the future in my dreams.
    Or I dream at night, I sit in a concert and listen to a piece of music with a choir and a whole orchestra.
    I hear every instrument and the harmonies. And then I wake up and still have the melody and harmonies in my head.
    At times like that I realize that I'm inspired by things I have no influence on, that don't necessarily come from within myself.

hithere, flower, John K and 4 others like this.
  17. PapillonT

PapillonT Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ-T
    Enneagram:
    I express my spirituality by making art, but also in communing with nature and being attentive to savour and appreciate the simplicity of the 'ordinary' moments.

18. Roses In The Vineyard

Roses In The Vineyard Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Might be of some interest to some here.

PapillonT likes this.