How do you express your spirituality? | INFJ Forum

How do you express your spirituality?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by slant, Feb 11, 2020.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
More threads by slant
  1. slant

slant Fairly Tragic

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    First I want to spearhead this thread by saying:

We all have a different definition of Spirituality and that's okay and this thread is not intended to get into that.

I think it would be helpful if you explained your own definition for context but I don't want this to become a debate thread about what definition of Spirituality is better, people seem to love to do that .

Lately I've been wanting to explore my own Spirituality but I've come up blank on activities to do to express it.

My definition of Spirituality is tied to absurdism. I know spirituality isn't real but that people do best when they have something greater than themselves to believe in. I feel that Spirituality is the counter to self improvement; in terms of when you self reflect you look inside, Spirituality is looking outside to somehow tie us all together to bring cohesion and greater meaning collectively.

So:

How do you define Spirituality for you?

What ways do you express your spirituality? ( Especially actions/activities)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    flower, BritNi, Ren and 5 others like this.
  2. Wyote

Wyote ○●○
    Staff Member Administrator

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Ni Space
    Enneagram:
    9 Seas
    Apparently I am sort of the embodiment of spirituality, in a roundabout way.
    As for me personally though, I find the change from a life of misdirection to one of focus and purpose to be the greatest form of spirituality. In a word; transformation.
    Anything that instills that and is a manifestation of that is what is spiritual. It moves through all things.
    Music for example, is a wonderful expression of the spirit.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    flower, BritNi, Ren and 6 others like this.
  3. acd

acd Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    This is a really interesting point. I agree. I think a lot of spirituality calls on people to give up their authority. I'm not comfortable with that. It's just innate in me that I can't do it. And I've genuinely tried to be spiritual. I dabbled in the occult. I was a born again Christian. And now I consider myself agnostic.

I tried really hard to be faithful, too. And I could not stop asking questions. I drove my pastor and the folks at a weekly Bible study crazy with my questions which were all met with, "Just have faith." And I had a nagging thought that I could have faith if I could have answers and knowledge. But that is the antithesis of faith. So I don't really consider myself spiritual. I don't really think about it. My son is 4 and he's asking questions. I'm not sure how to answer many of them. I don't discourage an interest in God. (My parents are Catholic and talk about God all the time with him.)

flower, BritNi, JennyDaniella and 6 others like this.
  4. ruji

ruji Well-known weirdo

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    The problem with religion is that a bunch of people follow it. What I mean to say is that people are the problem.

You're going to HELL

flower, BritNi, slant and 3 others like this.
  5. acd

acd Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    This was also a big part of it for me. I'm reminded of that Gandhi quote that "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians." And maybe that is just as judgy as the church folks are. Jesus is great. I just can't get with the congregation. They tell you to not be worldly but I wanted to mingle with the world. They tell you not to be worldly, yet they can't stop trying to legislate their morality on the world.

flower, BritNi, Odyne and 5 others like this.
  6. Rit4lin

Rit4lin Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INxx
    Spirituality for me is more so about my own self-discovery, the profound connection I feel when connecting with like-minded people, the wonderment when gazing upon nature or the serenity listening to specific forms of music. I touched upon this in a separate thread about my atheism, where I do not believe spirituality and theology are synonymous. From an intellectual standpoint I understand why I feel the way I do, but I believe in doing justice to that which I feel: spirituality encapsulates that for me.

In terms of how I express it, for me is a largely private affair. Exploring it I do keenly, and sometimes utilise my own experiences of it to help my friends that feel lost or confused. I keep albums for myself for the photos I have taken; enjoy walks alone in a nearby forest; have sat under a sky of stars talking about anything and everything with my mates. Otherwise it is a largely private journey which I otherwise keep little record of or scarcely share, treasuring it more like a delicate vase than anything. My hope is that one day I will be able to pass it on to my future children to guide them... But until then
    [​IMG]

#6 Rit4lin, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    flower, BritNi, slant and 2 others like this.
  7. Aneirin

Aneirin AKA, David
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    type 4w5
    Hm. . huge topic. Connection with the divine. For me, that's what we''re talking about. I take a bit from everything I suppose. protestant christian, but that just describes where I go Sunday morning, and that is only a part of the expression of it. Part of why I walk in the woods every day is to connect with the spirit of the earth. Listening to the trees, the wind, the animals. . breathing in the smells. .it is there that I connect with the spirit world. .same thing at the ocean, though a different spirit. it moves you and through you, if you let it. I feel it in music, that the veil between sacred and secular is just a bit thinner.
    but the question was how do I express it. . that is very different. I make myself available, I still myself and listen. .I make music with and for others.. I work on practicing forgiveness, and asking for it as well. I reach out to those that need connection. .if they resonate with prayer, I will pray for them. . if they need an ear, one that really hears the, I provide that.
    I am honest with myself and I let the spirits show me what I need to work on, and I follow their lead.
    I pray to God. . I listen for the Buddha. . I give thanks to the Earth Mother, the four winds, the seasons, and the Goddess.. .

8. OP
    slant

slant Fairly Tragic

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Hmm. It's very interesting. I do a lot of these activities you guys are mentioning but I don't feel them to be particularly spiritual.

I am seeking that spark you seem to be describing, and I do feel peace and solitude and contentment when doing those things,

I suppose I'm just lost at what I'm looking for.

Which is no surprise.

It's that itch of there being something more, and I ask,

How do I express that?

How do I express that I know there is something more (even if for me I don't really believe it?).

For a while I was doing this thing where I would fast once a month and buy someone's lunch symbolically. That felt a bit in line with what I am wanting to do.

Hmmm

flower, acd, Kgal and 2 others like this.
  9. dragulagu

dragulagu Galactic Explorer

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Enneagram:
    Got an open translation of the Tao Te Ching on my bedroom cabinet (I have intentionally taken an open poetic version written in verses instead of a literal version as many shit translators have been working on it).

I open it every morning, read a random verse from the book and try to live up to it.
    It's a more grounded and relaxed approach to life.

flower, Ren and slant like this.
  10. Ren

Ren Pin's android

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    458 spsx
    I express my spirituality through Open Monism, my original philosophical system (or so I claim).

11. Aneirin

Aneirin AKA, David
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    type 4w5
    while this is not really answering the question, it is, about the whole of spirituality. I went to new members class yesterday for the church I attend. It is the church I grew up in and is very much in line with my christian beliefs, the United Church of Christ, if you are interested. . In the meeting the pastor described a circle of beliefs that we all share in this denomination. Since that meeting I have been struggling with what I believe and realized that it is outside of their circle. This has lead me to decide not to join the church. This will of course led to questions as to why I cam to that conclusion and perhaps I will meet with the pastor for that conversation.
    While I am a protestant christian, I am also may other things. .remember my analogy. . many paths to the mountain of God, all being equally valid and true, and it doesn't matter the path you walk, it is the journey of seeking truth that is important. I will worship the Goddess, sage my home, seek the power and energy of crystals. .celebrate the pagan holidays. . but I will also wear ashes this Wednesday. .

slant, dragulagu and flower like this.