How close are we to the sorts of things in Robocop? | INFJ Forum

How close are we to the sorts of things in Robocop?

Lark

Rothchildian Agent
May 9, 2011
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
In the latest movie Robocop there's people with complete arms and leg replacements, cybernetics which allow them to run or jump despite having lost their legs or play classical guitar or things like that, how far away from things like that do you think we really are or is it all just make believe?

Is it possible that we would have reached these sorts of things already were it not for the social economic structure repressing technological innovations and product releases and making things like this privileges and the preserve of a few.

I think thats a focus on the benefits of such technology but there is also a concern over the dangers of such technology

The people you mention who also fight everyone else to protect their privileges are developing robotic technology (see for example DAARPA) to be used for military applications

So the terminator robots and drones they are making can be used to obliterate dark skinned dirt farmers in majority world countries that the el-ite want to exploit but they can also be used to hunt down and pacify US citizens

I think people need to wrestle power off the el-ite before technology changes the playing field forever

I think we are closer then they let us know. They can 3d print bodyparts and working hearts already..... just imagine all the stuff they have not told us....

Ha! One of the most vivid nightmares I remember having as a kid involved being chased by Robocop.

I think we're definitely heading in that direction. Much of our culture is lining up with the ideals of transhumanism. As with everything, of course,there are both benefits and dangers attached to this kind of revolution. Anyone remember Cyberpunk 20/20? They're actually doing a remake called Cyberpunk 2077 and the trailer for it is ridiculously awesome, but I digress. The basic premise is that man and machine aren't always a perfectly clinical fusion. Sometimes the procedure goes wrong and there are... hiccups. There's so much that we still don't understand about our bodies, our brain and our psychology.

Of course, there's a difference between science fiction and reality, but it'll be interesting to see the psychological and sociological repercussions of this kind of advancement nonetheless.

The U.S. already sends drones to murder U.S. citizens overseas without due process.
I think we're already worse.

Oh, you meant technologically, not morally.

Ha! One of the most vivid nightmares I remember having as a kid involved being chased by Robocop.

I think we're definitely heading in that direction. Much of our culture is lining up with the ideals of transhumanism. As with everything, of course,there are both benefits and dangers attached to this kind of revolution. Anyone remember Cyberpunk 20/20? They're actually doing a remake called Cyberpunk 2077 and the trailer for it is ridiculously awesome, but I digress. The basic premise is that man and machine aren't always a perfectly clinical fusion. Sometimes the procedure goes wrong and there are... hiccups. There's so much that we still don't understand about our bodies, our brain and our psychology.

Of course, there's a difference between science fiction and reality, but it'll be interesting to see the psychological and sociological repercussions of this kind of advancement nonetheless.

I totally hate the cyberpunk visions as I know them, there's only one story which would qualify as cyberpunk that I perhaps like and I think it is instead space opera.

I like the idea of medical applications, got excited when I heard that nanites had destroyed not just type 2 but type 1 diabetes in rats but the article said there would be no human application until at least 2045.

If the believers in technological repression are correct then we could see an amazing advance in society, something akin to the industrial revolution, on the other hand I'm not sure with that many people who are still prepared to fight and kill on huge scales for pre-industrial squabbles that it wouldnt all just end in our certain destruction at the hands of a bunch of morons.

The U.S. already sends drones to murder U.S. citizens overseas without due process.
I think we're already worse.

Oh, you meant technologically, not morally.

Its alright if its not US citizens? Always surprised by that exceptionalism when I encounter it.

Its alright if its not US citizens?

The issue is not those who qualify, but rather the fact that the qualifiers (American citizens) aren't given their legal right to defend themselves.
Also it's bad to murder people.