How can we take it back? | Page 86 | INFJ Forum

How can we take it back?

A bit dated. Looking for info on whether Ontario actually did the Universal Basic Income test.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fivethirtyeight.com/features/universal-basic-income/amp/

It is an interesting topic. I do not like being told what work to do. That is BS-ing other people. I like being able to do what I want without anybody telling me how to it. Universal Basic Income would solve that problem.

One problem with UBI is that it is an external source of income that the individual cannot control. As long as the government can retract that decision, it is a false sense of security. Te independent news told me that.:m158:

'Da' people has to be able to control the government as well for UBI to work. Fe has to realize that. :m114:

Are Social Security and Medicare payments actually a "partial refund" of what the beneficiary has already paid in? So we took a closer look...
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...re-and-social-security-what-you-paid-what-yo/

This is from 2013, would be beneficial to find updated statistics, Ill wager the benefit decreased over the past 4 years.

Q2 is that part where the government 'borrowed' from the...TBC
It is an interesting topic. I do not like being told what work to do. That is BS-ing other people. I like being able to do what I want without anybody telling me how to it. Universal Basic Income would solve that problem.

One problem with UBI is that it is an external source of income that the individual cannot control. As long as the government can retract that decision, it is a false sense of security. Te independent news told me that.:m158:

'Da' people has to be able to control the government as well for UBI to work. Fe has to realize that. :m114:
Good points. Ti can bring paranoia while Fi will lead in hysteria ;)

However, UBI would not be much different than SSD-I is now. When one lives with a government secured income through disability there is an underlying daily fear that with a stroke of a pen it disappears...and thusly, so does your security, home, food, family....

:m162:

Last edited:
Thursday, August 03, 2017
Common Dreams
John Bolton's 'Military Options' for North Korea Denounced as 'Utter Lunacy'
"John Bolton has been writing about bombing other countries for at least two decades."
Jake Johnson, staff writer

12988109885_5144886eb6_k.jpg

"Americans want to see diplomatic engagement with North Korea, not an escalation of tensions and the threat of nuclear war," writes Kerri Kennedy, Associate General Secretary for International Programs at AFSC. (Photo: Gage Skidmore/Flickr/cc)

Amid reports that he is being considered by President Donald Trump to replace Gen. H.R. McMaster as national security adviser, John Bolton wrote an op-ed for the Wall Street Journal on Wednesday outlining "military options for North Korea," which were immediately characterized as "dangerous" and "utter lunacy."

[...]

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2...ry-options-north-korea-denounced-utter-lunacy

I have a memory of John Bolton (cannot find any links, sorry), when he was special representative of the US to the UN, that he wanted to reduce the UN skyscraper by 10 floors claiming that it would not make a difference. He should be working on budget issues for the DoD or the Pentagon. The Pentagon has five floors on the ground and two below the ground. Surely, you can cut some of those with a cheese slicer.

Reactions: Skarekrow
Are Social Security and Medicare payments actually a "partial refund" of what the beneficiary has already paid in? So we took a closer look...
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...re-and-social-security-what-you-paid-what-yo/

This is from 2013, would be beneficial to find updated statistics, Ill wager the benefit decreased over the past 4 years.

Q2 is that part where the government 'borrowed' from the

However, UBI would not be much different than SSD-I is now. When one lives with a government secured income through disability there is an underlying daily fear that with a stroke of a pen it disappears...and thusly, so does your security, home, food, family....

You are right about that. Means-testing is just a political tool to strike fear in "welfare queens", usually the unemployed, the poor and the disabled. For example, child benefits in Sweden amount to ~130 USD a month per child and is not means-tested. There is no short-term fear about having your benefits retracted.

Means-testing is mean. :m145:

But you have to realize that inflation makes the long-term complex. You have to adjust benefits to prices. But prices affect goods and people differently over time. As long as the value of currency is not easily measurable (for example by having the gold standard), politicians can debase the currency by printing more money. People who hold money lose (the poor), and people who own land gain (the rich). Te independent news told me is that story too.

But I would think that the debate over UBI is a positive sign. It means that the psychopaths are no longer controling the narrative in the media. Political proposals of UBI do not have to be flawless (for Te, it will always be). After the introduction of UBI, more proposals are likely to follow. :D

Half Of Detroit's Mayoral Candidates Are Felons

by Tyler Durden
Aug 3, 2017 9:00 PM

Will voters in one of the most crime-ridden cities in the country be able to stomach voting for a convicted felon? Residents of Detroit are about to find out. Half of the candidates running in next Tuesday’s mayoral primary – the first since the city emerged from Bankruptcy protection in 2014 - have felony convictions on their records, according to an analysis of criminal records by the Detroit News.

In what we must admit is a masterful attempt at spin, one political operative said the felony convictions make the candidates more relatable because they show the candidates have each "lived a little."

“Black marks on your record show you have lived a little and have overcome some challenges,” said Bowens, a former press secretary to Detroit Mayor Dennis Archer and NAACP activist. “They (candidates) deserve the opportunity to be heard, but they also deserve to have the kind of scrutiny that comes along with trying to get an important elected position.”

Michigan election law stipulates that convicted felons can vote and run for office as long as they are not incarcerated or guilty of certain fraud-related offenses, or crimes involving a breach of the public trust. The top two finishers in the primary will go on to face off against incumbent mayor Mike Duggan, who is running for reelection. Duggan has received endorsements from a host of powerful unions, including the Detroit Metro AFL-CIO and the powerful public employees’ union AFSCME.

Mayoral candidate Donna Marie Pitts has multiple felony convictions dating back to 1977, according to the News. Pitts says she was discriminated against and wrongfully convicted, and is “open” to discussing the circumstances that led to her convictions.

“I don’t hide it. God has brought me out,” said Pitts, who wants to improve health care services, and tackle crime and rebuilding the community. “I hope (voters) don’t look at it as negative but as my experience, and I can help. I want to fight for them.”

Her rap sheet includes convictions spanning from 1977 to 2003. Charges vary from operating a vehicle without a license to assault with intent to murder.

[..]

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-08-03/half-detroits-mayoral-candidates-are-felons

Old habits have a life of their own.

Sessions Declares War On Leakers, Threatens Press With "Criminal Action"

by Tyler Durden
Aug 4, 2017 12:58 PM

President Donald Trump’s strategy of publicly shaming Attorney General Jeff Sessions to force him to aggressively pursue the leakers who have been a persistent source of agitation for his administration appears to have worked. After announcing during a press conference last month that he wanted Sessions “to go full-bore” in his pursuit of leakers, the “beleaguered” attorney general appears to be doing exactly that.

During a live press briefing on Friday that was tantamount to a declaration of war, Sessions said the Department of Justice will be cracking down on leaks of classified information, and is considering subpoenaing journalists to force them to reveal their sources in the Trump administration.

[...]

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...reatens-press-subpoenas-we-will-not-hesitate-

Jeff, I want you to plug the oil pipelines. They are leaking like heck.

Published on
Friday, August 04, 2017
Common Dreams
New Report Reveals Water Threats Posed by the "Dirty Three's" Pipeline Routes
Greenpeace analysis found tar sands oil projects could cause multiple significant spills over the next 50 years
Jessica Corbett, staff writer

nodirty-pipeline_protest.jpg

TransCanada, Kinder Morgan, and Enbridge—the three companies proposing these four pipeline routes—have a well documented history of spilling hazardous liquids from pipelines and polluting natural resources. (Photo: Chesapeakeclimate/flickr/cc)

A recently released Greenpeace report found four proposed pipelines that would transport diluted bitumen extracted from the Canada's Alberta tar sands to the United States pose grave threats to water resources along the pipelines' routes.

Since 2010, the companies responsible for these four projects "have seen 373 hazardous liquid spills from their U.S. pipeline networks," releasing a total of "63,221 barrels of hazardous liquid."
—Greenpeace reportThe three companies—TransCanada, Kinder Morgan, Enbridge, and their subsidiaries—that would construct the pipelines already operate a vast pipeline network that transports fossil fuels throughout North America, and they have a well documented history of spilling hazardous liquids and polluting natural resources.

In fact, "a recent review by oil industry trade organizations found that pipeline incidents 'impacting the public or environment' (IPE) have increased in the past 4 years." Since 2010, according to the Greenpeace report (pdf), the three companies "have seen 373 hazardous liquid spills from their U.S. pipeline networks," releasing a total of "63,221 barrels of hazardous liquids"—including thousands of barrels of diluted bitumen, which is is more difficult to remove from water than conventional crude oil because it sinks.

Researchers also mapped the past seven years of spills, illustrating the wide reach of the pipeline network's environmental destruction.

greenpeace-map.jpg

Based on recent spill rates, Greenpeace researchers predict that TransCanada's 1,179-mile Keystone XL pipeline—which has received support from the Trump administration after hitting roadblocks during the Obama era—would likely see at least 59 significant spills in its 50-year lifetime.

Of the three other proposed pipelines—TransCanada's Energy East, Kinder Morgan's Trans Mountain, and Enbridge's Line 3 Expansion—researchers estimate that the 1,031-mile Line 3 project would also experience about one significant spill per year for 50 years.

Enbridge, the company responsible for the Line 3 project, spilled more than 20,000 barrels, or an estimated 843,000 gallons, of diluted bitumen into the Kalamazoo River in Michigan in 2010, contaminating almost 40 miles of the river.

"The spilled bitumen sunk to the bottom of the river triggering a years-long, billion dollar clean-up operation that required dredging the river bottom," the report noted. Last year, the Environmental Project Agency and the Justice Department reached a $177 million settlement with the company over the spill.

Greenpeace and other environmental advocates—including many indigenous people who live along the proposed routes—are urging the pipelines' financial backers to pull out, in hopes of delaying or effectively ending the projects.

"The costs of these pipeline projects, all being fronted by banks like JPMorgan Chase, TD, Wells Fargo, and Citi, each run into multiple billions of dollars," Greenpeace said in statement. "Greenpeace USA and Greenpeace Canada are part of an international coalition of civil society and Indigenous organizations campaigning to urge financial institutions to pull their investments in tar sands pipelines and the Dirty Three because of the financial and reputational risks they pose."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2...er-threats-posed-dirty-threes-pipeline-routes

Those are the pipelines, Jeff (see the previous post).

Last edited:
Published on
Friday, August 04, 2017
Common Dreams
Court Throws Out Blackwater Guards' Sentences for 2007 Baghdad Massacre
Three former mercenaries who killed and injured 31 unarmed Iraqis in Nisour Square will be resentenced, and a fourth may be retried
Jessica Corbett, staff writer

blackwater_2.jpg

A federal court threw out 30-year prison sentences of three former Blackwater operatives, and ordered a retrial for a fourth former operative who was sentenced to life in prison, for their roles in the 2007 Nisour Square massacre. (Photo: Patrick Baz/Getty Images)

A federal appeals court on Friday threw out lengthy prison sentences of three former operatives for private mercenary firm Blackwater Worldwide—and ordered a retrial for a fourth operative who had received a life sentence—for their roles in the notorious 2007 Nisour Square massacre in Baghdad, which left 14 unarmed Iraqis dead and another 17 wounded.

"The men, Dustin Heard, Evan Liberty, Paul Slough, and Nicholas Slatten, were convicted in October 2014 after years of legal battles," Common Dreams reported in 2015, when U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth sentenced Slatten—who the government says fired the first shots—to life in prison and the other three men to "30 years and one day each on charges that included manslaughter, attempted manslaughter and using firearms while committing a felony."

[...]

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2...kwater-guards-sentences-2007-baghdad-massacre

These people are just pawns in a game. You have to address the root of the problem.

Q2 is that part where the government 'borrowed' from the...TBC

In 2015 there was no cost of living increase of any social security beneficiaries...last year there was a 0.3% cost of living increase which is almost an insult.
Of boy $3 more! Hold the presses!
$2.4 trillion has been borrowed if I remember rightly.
This began when Reagan broke the law and allowed Congress to borrow money from it, then G. Bush Jr. borrowed from it again, to pay for his tax cuts (which were nothing compared to what Trump wants to do...we pay for it how...that’s right, we burn the poor like coal) and false war in Iraq that I might add is still a shit show.
SS would be solvent if they paid the money back....because it is your own money that was taken from your paycheck every two weeks or so.
You could also raise the cut off limit, which is $250,000 right now...so anything money made past that amount isn’t subjected to SS deductions...raise it to $350,000...SS is easily fixed.
Unfortunately, the right has been trying to privatize it for years, to hand all the money over to a bank to “invest”.
Which Bush Jr. also pushed for, and would have destroyed SS when Wall St. collapsed had he succeeded.
Right now, Trump and Congress are not messing much with Medicare...just Medicaid....but I’m sure it’s on the list of things to burn to the ground.

Reactions: Sandie33
A bit dated. Looking for info on whether Ontario actually did the Universal Basic Income test.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fivethirtyeight.com/features/universal-basic-income/amp/

Ontario plans to launch universal basic income trial run this summer
About 4,000 low-income participants in Canadian province will receive monthly
payments to assess whether program can provide stability and positive changes

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/24/canada-basic-income-trial-ontario-summer

How do we take back the US and the world from big money, big corporations, big politics, warmongers, psychopaths?

Vote Democrat and only Democrat, and do it all the way down the ballot. I don't care what you think you know about Democrats they are the only viable political party with the least bit interest in solving these problems. They may struggle to get as much accomplished as you might like, but that's largely do to the fact that Republicans were able to get back enough power in congress to block them in 2010.

Even if your a libertarian who thinks you hate liberals there are only two ways libertarians will ever come to power in the U.S. One by shifting the Democratic party, two by destroying the Republican party necessitating a new major party. Either way your best bet is to vote Democrat.

Not to detail your thread, but every time I see it pop up, it reminds me of this. Perhaps it's relevant?

Vote Democrat and only Democrat, and do it all the way down the ballot. I don't care what you think you know about Democrats they are the only viable political party with the least bit interest in solving these problems. They may struggle to get as much accomplished as you might like, but that's largely do to the fact that Republicans were able to get back enough power in congress to block them in 2010.

Even if your a libertarian who thinks you hate liberals there are only two ways libertarians will ever come to power in the U.S. One by shifting the Democratic party, two by destroying the Republican party necessitating a new major party. Either way your best bet is to vote Democrat.

It seems you have a decent IQ and a general conscience, but some of this is flawed reasoning.

It seems you have a decent IQ and a general conscience, but some of this is flawed reasoning.

No it really isn't. The greatest strength of Liberals is also our greatest weakness. We want to have all these nice little intellectual debates will all kinds of nuance and gray areas over minutia, but while we're having our little discussion hate just comes along and punches you in the mouth. That is what we allowed to happen in November. A bunch of idiots didn't show up to support a candidate because they weren't absolutely in love with her and instead allowed pure Evil to get access to nuclear weapons.

Conservatives may be dumb black and white thinkers, but they stick together almost no matter what, and it makes their ignorance very dangerous.

Utah Mayor Suffers "Shocking Experience" After Going Undercover As Homeless Man

by Tyler Durden
Aug 8, 2017 12:30 AM

Amid President Obama's 'recovery', President Trump's 'awesome economy', and record high stock prices, Salt Lake City mayor Ben McAdams secretly entered the world of the homeless in Utah as he pondered a decision (that he knew would anger many residents) on the selection of a site for a third homeless resource center in his city.

As Deseret News' Katie McKellar reports, for four months, McAdams has kept a secret (keeping it out of headlines, hoping to avoid the perception, he said, of a "publicity stunt in the face of human suffering").

Back in March, just days before he was due by state law to select a third site for a new homeless resource center - a decision he knew would anger thousands of his constituents, regardless of his choice - McAdams left work on a Friday with no money or ID and walked to Salt Lake City's most troubled neighborhood.

Dressed in jeans, sneakers and a hoodie, the county mayor spent three days and two nights walking and sleeping among the homeless and drug-addicted in Salt Lake City's Rio Grande neighborhood.

One night on the street. One night in the shelter.

His experience was "shocking" on multiple levels, he said. And while he by no means meant his experience to be an "expose" on the Road Home shelter, an important stakeholder in homeless services reform, his stay did shed light on some troubling realities within the 1,062-bed shelter, including:

• Blatant use of drugs inside the men's dorms, including his bunkmate injecting drugs into his arm - though he declined to discuss details about that encounter with the Deseret News.
  • He smelled what he assumed was smoke from drugs "all night long."
  • He witnessed violence - a fight between two men in the dorms, during which a man was dragged off of his bunk and hit his head on the concrete floor.
  • He didn't feel safe - and could see why someone would take their chances on the streets in 40-degree rainy weather rather than spend a night in the downtown shelter.
[...]

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...xperience-after-going-undercover-homeless-man

This guy comes across to me as previously ignorant, and open-minded to new information. Not at all a plain psychopath, which some/many politicians in the US turn out to be.

+1 for the bravery.

Last edited: