How can we take it back? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

How can we take it back?

[MENTION=5045]Skarekrow[/MENTION] re:nonviolence

I think Turn A Gundam has a lot of parallels to how things really are, and how things are going to turn out eventually, probably.
Yeah it's animated but it isn't really hokey or anything. Gundam has some pretty serious shit except for a couple of the shows like G Gundam.

Anyway. I don't think it is so simple that humans are non-violent by nature. And I also don't think it is so simple that non-violence is the complete answer.

Just look at the Turn A Gundam:
Piloted by one person
Powered by a mini black hole
Made of nano machines
Can rebuild itself if destroyed
Can even reincarnate the pilot
Has the Moonlight Butterfly: powerful enough to erase all of civilization in an area that spans from Earth to Jupiter

And it is piloted by a pretty brown skinned girly boy that manages to avoid killing anyone and wants to stop war. And he's not pacifist in order to make the series 'family friendly' - this is a series that doesn't mind killing everybody. So the fact that he chops up giant robots while avoiding killing the pilot says something about him. I think he only ever killed one person or something in the show and it was probably unintentional.

[video=youtube;Ez7D8c7dtDU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez7D8c7dtDU[/video]
[video=youtube;I0GEbXSWhKU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0GEbXSWhKU[/video]

@Skarekrow re:nonviolence

I think Turn A Gundam has a lot of parallels to how things really are, and how things are going to turn out eventually, probably.
Yeah it's animated but it isn't really hokey or anything. Gundam has some pretty serious shit except for a couple of the shows like G Gundam.

Anyway. I don't think it is so simple that humans are non-violent by nature. And I also don't think it is so simple that non-violence is the complete answer.

Just look at the Turn A Gundam:
Piloted by one person
Powered by a mini black hole
Made of nano machines
Can rebuild itself if destroyed
Can even reincarnate the pilot
Has the Moonlight Butterfly: powerful enough to erase all of civilization in an area that spans from Earth to Jupiter

And it is piloted by a pretty brown skinned girly boy that manages to avoid killing anyone and wants to stop war. And he's not pacifist in order to make the series 'family friendly' - this is a series that doesn't mind killing everybody. So the fact that he chops up giant robots while avoiding killing the pilot says something about him. I think he only ever killed one person or something in the show and it was probably unintentional.

[video=youtube;Ez7D8c7dtDU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez7D8c7dtDU[/video]
[video=youtube;I0GEbXSWhKU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0GEbXSWhKU[/video]

I honestly haven’t seen that many Gundam episodes to give you a good response on what you wrote...but it is interesting nonetheless.
I will have to check more out!
While I do believe that nonviolence is the way things SHOULD be...part of me thinks that it is unrealistic in all circumstances.
Take our current situation in the US...wealth inequality for example...no amount of nonviolent protesting will force those who are hoarding their money stolen from the American people to relinquish even one thin dime. It’s going to be bloody...I actually have no doubt about that.
They are going to take and take and take until the point where it will be life or death for those fighting back...and people who are desperate, do desperate things.
It’s much easier to justify robbing a bank, when you are doing it to feed your starving children. Not that I am advocating that.
Take a look at the wages the middle/working class have been paid since the 70’s...they not only have stagnated, but they have lost value via inflation of goods and services and reductions in benefits.
It’s going to reach a point where the middle/working class is squeezed out of existence and all we have are the working poor...we are getting there incredibly fast!
Then when you shove it in the faces of that group, which is also happening...i.e. CEO bonuses, bonuses in general, double standards for the rich - taxes, criminal prosecution (or lack thereof), etc.
We will reach the point where people will be tired of working for nothing, while the owners - THEIR OWNERS...make all the profits, reap all the benefits, and enjoy the good life while the common people struggle day to day just to eat, keep on the electricity, etc.
There WILL be violence...and perhaps it will be justified...perhaps it will get worse before it gets better...I’m sure it will actually.
Too bad we don’t have some Gundams we can exact some justice with....lol.
One thing is for sure though...there will be a reckoning.

I honestly haven’t seen that many Gundam episodes to give you a good response on what you wrote...but it is interesting nonetheless.
I will have to check more out!
While I do believe that nonviolence is the way things SHOULD be...part of me thinks that it is unrealistic in all circumstances.
Take our current situation in the US...wealth inequality for example...no amount of nonviolent protesting will force those who are hoarding their money stolen from the American people to relinquish even one thin dime. It’s going to be bloody...I actually have no doubt about that.
They are going to take and take and take until the point where it will be life or death for those fighting back...and people who are desperate, do desperate things.
It’s much easier to justify robbing a bank, when you are doing it to feed your starving children. Not that I am advocating that.
Take a look at the wages the middle/working class have been paid since the 70’s...they not only have stagnated, but they have lost value via inflation of goods and services and reductions in benefits.
It’s going to reach a point where the middle/working class is squeezed out of existence and all we have are the working poor...we are getting there incredibly fast!
Then when you shove it in the faces of that group, which is also happening...i.e. CEO bonuses, bonuses in general, double standards for the rich - taxes, criminal prosecution (or lack thereof), etc.
We will reach the point where people will be tired of working for nothing, while the owners - THEIR OWNERS...make all the profits, reap all the benefits, and enjoy the good life while the common people struggle day to day just to eat, keep on the electricity, etc.
There WILL be violence...and perhaps it will be justified...perhaps it will get worse before it gets better...I’m sure it will actually.
Too bad we don’t have some Gundams we can exact some justice with....lol.
One thing is for sure though...there will be a reckoning.

Yeah but seriously though - what if this stuff gets invented? Would the pacifists sit back and say it's ok to destroy the world?

There's a few reasons why Gundams are a thing in the MSG series.

First off is the discovery of Minovsky particles which basically have an EMP like effect on electronics, and the particle field blocks radio waves which can render things like communications, sensors and tracking systems useless. This means that things like long range missiles became obsolete and war went back to face to face combat.

Secondly they built Mobile Suits for combat in space where a vehicle with appendages can help with maneuvering by moving the appendages to shift mass around.

Third, after humans had lived in space for a while, some of them became more evolved - a new kind of advanced human called Newtypes started to appear, with higher intelligence, intuition, a sixth sense and borderline psychic or some times actually psychic abilities. They used these new humans and equipped Mobile Suits with Psycommu units and Psychoframes, and started to incorporate things like funnels and bits which are basically remote weapon drones connected to the mobile suit and the pilot can control them all simultaneously with their mind. And the Psycho frame allows the mobile suit to respond to the pilots thoughts on an atomic level so that the pilot and the robot are nearly one and the same.

So what you end up with are basically psychic pilots that have a symbiotic kind of relationship with the mobile suit and have a small army of funnels flying around them, some times dozens of small remote drones all able to attack simultaneously on different targets, and the MS is faster than a jet, more armored than a super tank, as agile and mobile as a human, and often carries the firepower of a battleship.

Not to mention that the Unicorn Gundam has a system that can hijack other suits psycommu equipment. This means that it can take over and control another suits funnels and such, even the enemy.

What are we going to do if we end up with psychic giant robot pilots which can take out entire armies single handed? They could be a major threat to civilization and the world as we know it. Who would not think about protection?

Yeah but seriously though - what if this stuff gets invented? Would the pacifists sit back and say it's ok to destroy the world?

There's a few reasons why Gundams are a thing in the MSG series.

First off is the discovery of Minovsky particles which basically have an EMP like effect on electronics, and the particle field blocks radio waves which can render things like communications, sensors and tracking systems useless. This means that things like long range missiles became obsolete and war went back to face to face combat.

Secondly they built Mobile Suits for combat in space where a vehicle with appendages can help with maneuvering by moving the appendages to shift mass around.

Third, after humans had lived in space for a while, some of them became more evolved - a new kind of advanced human called Newtypes started to appear, with higher intelligence, intuition, a sixth sense and borderline psychic or some times actually psychic abilities. They used these new humans and equipped Mobile Suits with Psycommu units and Psychoframes, and started to incorporate things like funnels and bits which are basically remote weapon drones connected to the mobile suit and the pilot can control them all simultaneously with their mind. And the Psycho frame allows the mobile suit to respond to the pilots thoughts on an atomic level so that the pilot and the robot are nearly one and the same.

So what you end up with are basically psychic pilots that have a symbiotic kind of relationship with the mobile suit and have a small army of funnels flying around them, some times dozens of small remote drones all able to attack simultaneously on different targets, and the MS is faster than a jet, more armored than a super tank, as agile and mobile as a human, and often carries the firepower of a battleship.

Not to mention that the Unicorn Gundam has a system that can hijack other suits psycommu equipment. This means that it can take over and control another suits funnels and such, even the enemy.

What are we going to do if we end up with psychic giant robot pilots which can take out entire armies single handed? They could be a major threat to civilization and the world as we know it. Who would not think about protection?
I actually do think that there would be a good number of pacifists who would still go at it peacefully if they could.
We’ll just have to deal with the giant psychic robots as they come at us I supposed...unless you have another suggestion? (Robotech? Voltron?)

I actually do think that there would be a good number of pacifists who would still go at it peacefully if they could.
We’ll just have to deal with the giant psychic robots as they come at us I supposed...unless you have another suggestion? (Robotech? Voltron?)

Yeah I don't know.

I just wonder what is the point of being alive and caring about others if you're just going to let not only yourself die but everyone else too?

Yeah I don't know.

I just wonder what is the point of being alive and caring about others if you're just going to let not only yourself die but everyone else too?
Well...there is a fine line between dying for your cause...and your death not making a difference.
If you are going to do something as severe as giving your life...then you better make damn sure that it counts and you don’t just blow yourself up or something....lol.
Or get yourself shot while protesting...while that may evoke rage and actions in others for a time...it will fade, you will be forgotten (as will your sacrifice) except by those who know you.
While it could be a more difficult path to do things peacefully...certainly less immediately gratifying than giving your life (not that you will be alive to relish your victory)...I think you would have to make sure that you used such an extreme as a last resort in your own mind.

Well...there is a fine line between dying for your cause...and your death not making a difference.
If you are going to do something as severe as giving your life...then you better make damn sure that it counts and you don’t just blow yourself up or something....lol.
Or get yourself shot while protesting...while that may evoke rage and actions in others for a time...it will fade, you will be forgotten (as will your sacrifice) except by those who know you.
While it could be a more difficult path to do things peacefully...certainly less immediately gratifying than giving your life (not that you will be alive to relish your victory)...I think you would have to make sure that you used such an extreme as a last resort in your own mind.

Well I mean not resorting to defense of self or others. Like not stopping the guy who has a bomb.

I'm not saying that you have to kill the guy with the bomb, some times it ends up that way though. I think we are responsible for stopping him, with or without injury. We don't have to hate him but we sure have to stop him in my opinion. It might only take holding him down. But if he is shooting then you might have to shoot back you know? There's really no time for playing around.

This isn't to say that peaceful means aren't good in the long run, they certainly can be. But often peaceful resolutions do not propagate quickly enough to solve immediate crisis. Maybe we can't always wait until love gets through and changes hearts and minds. Some times you have to do something right now.

[MENTION=5045]Skarekrow[/MENTION]
Also this goes back to the taijitu and what I was talking about in the group earlier.

If you're only hot you will burn up, if you're only cold you will freeze. If you're only hard you will fracture. If you're only soft you will crumble.

@Skarekrow
Also this goes back to the taijitu and what I was talking about in the group earlier.

If you're only hot you will burn up, if you're only cold you will freeze. If you're only hard you will fracture. If you're only soft you will crumble.
I wholeheartedly agree!

Take it back? When did you have it in the first place?

Banks-vs-Credit-Unions-Infographic-1000px.png

Reactions: Skarekrow
  1. The “Anti-Commandeering Rule” (Amend the Supremacy Clause of Article VI) This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges and other public officials. in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.
  2. Political Gerrymandering – Districts represented by members of Congress, or by members of any state legislative body, shall be compact and composed of contiguous territory. The state shall have the burden of justifying any departures from this requirement by reference to neutral criteria such as natural, political, or historical boundaries or demographic changes. The interest in enhancing or preserving the political power of the party in control of the state government is not such a neutral criterion.
  3. Campaign Finance – Neither the First Amendment nor any other provision of this Constitution shall be construed to prohibit the Congress or any state from imposing reasonable limits on the amount of money that candidates for public office, or their supporters, may spend in election campaigns.
  4. Sovereign Immunity – Neither the Tenth Amendment, the Eleventh Amendment, nor any other provision of this Constitution, shall be construed to provide any state, state agency, or state officer with an immunity from liability for violating any act of Congress, or any provision of this Constitution.
  5. Death Penalty- (Amend the 8th Amendment) Excessive Bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments such as the death penalty inflicted.
  6. The Second Amendment – (Amend the 2nd Amendment) A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms when serving in the Militia shall not be infringed.
former Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens

[video]http://www.ted.com/talks/lawrence_lessig_we_the_people_and_the_republic_we_ must_reclaim[/video]
[h=2]Lawrence Lessig Launches ‘MAYDAY’ SuperPAC For Campaign Finance Reform[/h] May 1, 2014 2:42 pm Category: Memo Pad, Politics 5 Comments A+ / A-
lessig.jpg

Political activist and Harvard law professor Lawrence Lessig is taking a leap into the political money game, with the specific intention of reforming campaign finance laws by 2016.
On Thursday, May 1, Lessig launched the MAYDAY Citizens’ SuperPAC, a Political Action Committee that will seek contributions from small donors concerned with putting an end to America’s slide toward plutocracy.
“The ultimate aim is to spend enough to win a majority in Congress committed to fundamental reform by 2016. We’ve spent the last year gaming out how much that would cost. I think it is feasible and possible — if we can take these first steps successfully now,” Lessig wrote about the project on his blog.
The project will be funded similar to a Kickstarter campaign: Lessig claims if small contributions total $1 million after one month, a large donor will match the amount. If the PAC raises $5 million in the following month, another wealthy donor will match that amount. The small donors will only be charged if the goals are hit.
It’s a leap, Lessig admits, but it’s a political cause with near-universal appeal. In fact, Lessig is counting on small donations from across the political spectrum. “Our polls show that more than 90 percent of Americans believe it’s important to reduce the influence of money in politics,” Lessig recently told Moyers and Company. “And that’s true for Republicans as much as Democrats and Independents. This is just a universal view.”
Lessig’s commitment to align America’s left and right on this issue has been a constant throughout his career. Lessig, who serves on the advisory boards of Creative Commons and the Sunlight Foundation, was also a strong supporter of the Occupy Wall Street movement. In 2011, prior to the first tents being pitched in Zuccotti Park, Lessig penned what The Atlantic called the movement’s “handbook”: Republic, Lost: How Money Corrupts Congress — and a Plan to Stop It. As a shock to the leftist “Occupy” movement, in December 2011 Lessig called for Occupy Wall Street to join forces with the Tea Party
“Those people have the same recognition of corruption in the system,” he said. “Think a few steps ahead and build the movement that could change America.”
Today, Lessig is optimistic about the influence his new project can have on U.S. elections.
“It is impossibly hard to imagine raising $1 million in 30 days, even as a contingent commitment (meaning, you only get charged if we hit the goal),” Lessig wrote. “I get that. But we’ve got to try. For if we succeed, we can change the story of this democracy; we can give people a sense that we can actually claim it back. And we can build a momentum, I believe, that no billionaire’s SuperPAC could defeat.”

The site is overloaded right now and he twitted this
Lessig ‏@lessig 47m . @andrew_brook We are scrambling. Demand was wildly beyond what we budgeted for (on zero income) but I think it will be fixed w/i the hour.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skarekrow
Why we shouldn’t mix politics with religion...

5 ways the Christian right is twisting religion to push conservative dogma

What would Jesus do? Let poor people starve, if these guys are to be believed

jesus_christ-620x412.jpg

(Credit: Jaroslav74 via Shutterstock)

The classic understanding of the relationship between social and economic conservatives is simple: Social conservatives are often understood as dupes who let their obsession with controlling other people’s sex lives convince them to vote Republican, often against their own economic interest. This was what President Obama was getting at when he said that working-class whites who vote Republican “cling to guns or religion.”

There’s some truth to that, but if you start to dig a little deeper, it turns out that the Christian right doesn’t just bait believers into voting against their economic interests. On the contrary, the Christian right works fairly hard at trying to create theological arguments to support economic policies Republicans champion, such as slashing the social safety net or allowing unfettered capitalism to rapidly expand income inequality and environmental damage.
Here are the various ways Christian right leaders glaze over the Jesus of the Bible and push their followers to worship one who looks a little more like a Nazarene Ayn Rand.

1) Arguing that Jesus was a capitalist.
By and large, the “loaves and fishes” man portrayed in the New Testament can in no honest way be reconciled with the aggressively capitalist attitude of modern Republicans, which holds that profit should never be constrained by concerns such as human rights and basic dignity for all. So conservatives are usually just elusive on the subject. However , Pope Francis’s recent comments regarding the excesses of capitalism have created some pushback on the right.

The favorite argument is that the Pope just doesn’t understand Christianity, which is totally pro-capitalist, no matter how excessive it gets. Ramesh Ponnuru blithely suggested that the Pope’s remarks show that the Pope just doesn’t understand “markets could instead enable a creative form of community” and that more “evangelizing still needs to be done” to convince the Pope that real Christians should embrace capitalism. Never mind that Pope Francis is from Argentina, where the “creative form of community” brought on by an eagerly capitalist, anti-socialist government was expressed through the creative disappearance of people whose left-wing politics were a threat to the capitalist community.

Jonathan Moseley at WorldNetDaily joined in on the fun, claiming Jesus was a capitalist by redefining “capitalism” to basically mean some kind of imaginary tax-free governmental system. He also asserts that as long as Christians generally disapprove of “crony capitalism,” they’re free and clear of any moral responsibility for supporting the lack of laws and regulations that lead to income inequality, mass poverty, and abuses of human rights in the name of profit.

2) Labor unions are anti-Christian.
While many liberal Christian churches support labor unions, on the Christian right there’s a number of leaders trying to use religion to bully believers out of standing up for worker’s rights. Many major Christian right leaders are leading the charge in the fight to destroy the right of workers to organize, including Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council and James Dobson of Focus on the Family. The arguments against unions are illogical and strained–they’re often coupled with the “Jesus was a capitalist” claims, as if capitalism somehow obliterates the right of workers to demand better wages within the system–but sometimes there’s a little effort to claim theological underpinnings for an anti-union argument.

Ralph Reed argued that Christian calls for submission require workers to just take whatever their bosses dish out without pushing back. David Barton tries to stretch a Bible story about a vineyard owner hiring different employees to argue that God hates the idea of collective bargaining. Indeed, this parable comes up a lot, to the point where it’s even suggested that good Christians should never try to better their work situation after the initial hiring phase is over.

3) Jesus wanted poor people to starve.
There’s a lot of stories in the Bible of Jesus being generous and prescribing that his followers give up their possessions to the poor, but the Christian right is good about ignoring those verses and digging around for one or two to argue that actually, Jesus was on their side about the importance of starving the poor out. When Republicans were trying to cut the food stamp program and Democrats pointed out how that runs against even the most basic reading of the Christianity they claim to hold so dear, Rep. Stephen Fincher petulantly quoted 2 Thessalonians: “Anyone unwilling to work should not eat.”

Of course, there’s no reason whatsoever to believe that people on food stamps are unwilling to work. The growth in food stamp usage is a direct result of higher unemployment, which means people want jobs but can’t find them.Many people on food stamps actually have jobsthat pay so little they have to use food stamps. But despite the fact that the verse– which was taken out of context–doesn’t even apply to the people it’s being wielded against doesn’t mean it’s not a favorite of the religious right. In fact,the way that they use it, you’d think it was the only sentence in the Bible, besides the ones condemning gay sex.

4) Religion means your employer should be all up in your business.
Hobby Lobby has a case before the Supreme Court in which it’s arguing that in order to preserve the company’s religious freedom, its female employees should not be allowed to use their own insurance plans to purchase contraception. Even though the plans belong to the employees–they are part of their compensation package, just like their paychecks–Hobby Lobby is arguing that in order for its “religious freedom” to be preserved, it needs to be able to exert this kind of control over its employees’ private healthcare choices.

This case is a perfect example of the Christian right using its victimization complex to advance the increasingly strong hold that capitalists have over lives and our democracy. If Hobby Lobby prevails in court, it’s established a scary precedent, allowing your employer to say he can control how you use the compensation that should rightfully belong to you. This ability to exert power over a worker’s home and private life is something capitalist power structures have been dying to establish for decades now, and thanks to the Christian right, they now have a legal path to try to make that happen.

5) God doesn’t want you to preserve the environment.
As with relieving poverty and pushing for income equality, preserving the environment is one of those things Christian theology should cause believers to prioritize, but unfortunately, it runs directly against Republican priorities for maximizing profit regardless of the ill effects. Particularly on the issue of global warming, there is a real danger that some creeping sense of morality might actually cause conservative Christians to start thinking the planet might actually be more important than the oil companies’ quarterly profits–indeed, some of that leakage is actually happening.

Enter groups like the Cornwall Alliance, which boldly try to turn Christians to climate change denialists by arguing that if you believe climate change is real, you’re not showing enough trust in God. It’s a nasty way of manipulating people by preying on their insecurities in order to get them to set aside their moral considerations. Unfortunately, it’s working. Only 7 percent of Republican-voting Christian pastors agree that climate change is real and manmade.

Most politicians who identify with the Christian right are eager to pounce on the theological arguments against protecting the planet, trying to recast their selfish desire to protect corporate profits, even at the expense of the planet and the human race’s health, as nothing but God’s work.

What all these examples show is the inherent danger of mixing politics and religion, because religion can be whatever the believer wants it to be. It might seem like an aggressive misreading of the Bible to imagine, as the Christian right does, that Jesus was a laissez faire capitalist who wasn’t bothered by poverty or pollution, but since religion is a matter of asserting belief instead of making logical arguments, in the end it doesn’t really matter.

Amanda Marcotte is a Brooklyn-based freelance writer and journalist. She's published two books and blogs regularly at Pandagon, RH Reality Check and Slate's Double X.

How Piketty's Bombshell Book Blows Up Libertarian Fantasies

Sorry, Ayn Rand. Your fiction has been exposed as, well, fiction.

Libertarians have always been flummoxed by inequality, tending either to deny that it’s a problem or pretend that the invisible hand of the market will wave a magic wand to cure it. Then everybody gets properly rewarded for what he or she does with brains and effort, and things are peachy keen.
Except that they aren’t, as exhaustively demonstrated by French economist Thomas Piketty, whose 700-page treatise on the long-term trends in inequality, Capital In the 21st Century, has blown up libertarian fantasies one by one.

To understand the libertarian view of inequality, let’s turn to Milton Friedman, one of America's most famous and influential makers of free market mythology. Friedman decreed that economic policy should focus on freedom, and not equality.

If we could do that, he promised, we’d not only get freedom and efficiency, but more equality as a natural byproduct. Libertarians who took the lessons from his books, like Capitalism and Freedom (1962) and Free to Choose (1980), bought into the notion that capitalism naturally led to less inequality.

Basically, the lessons boiled down to this: Some degree of inequality is both unavoidable and desirable in a free market, and income inequality in the U.S. isn’t very pronounced, anyway. Libertarians starting with these ideas tend to reject any government intervention meant to decrease inequality, claiming that such plans make people lazy and that they don’t work, anyway. Things like progressive income taxes, minimum wage laws and social safety nets make most libertarians very unhappy.

Uncle Milty put it like this:
“A society that puts equality–in the sense of equality of outcome–ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom.… On the other hand, a society that puts freedom first will, as a happy by-product, end up with both greater freedom and greater equality.”

Well, that turns out to be spectacularly, jaw-droppingly, head-scratchingly wrong. The U.S. is now a stunningly unequal society, with wealth piling up at the top so fast that an entire movement, Occupy Wall Street, sprung up to decry it with the catchphrase “We are the 99%.”

How did libertarians get it all so backwards? Well, as Piketty points out, people like Milton Friedman were writing at a time when inequality was indeed less pronounced in the U.S. than it had been in previous eras. But they mistook this happy state of affairs as the magic of capitalism. Actually, it wasn’t the magic of capitalism that reduced inequality during a brief, halcyon period after the New Deal and WWII. It was the forces of various economic shocks plus policies our government put in place to respond to them that changed America from a top-heavy society in the Gilded Age to something more egalitarian in the post-war years.
As you’ll recall, if you watched the movie Titanic, the U.S. had a class of rentiers (rich people who live off property and investments) in the early part of the 20th century who hailed from places like Boston, New York and Philadelphia. They were just as nasty and rapacious as their European counterparts, only there weren’t quite so many of them and their wealth was not quite as concentrated (the Southern rentiers had been wiped out by the Civil War).

The fortunes of these rentiers were not shock-proof: If you remember Hockney, the baddie in James Cameron’s film, he survives the Titanic but not the Great Crash of ’29, when he loses his money and offs himself. The Great Depression got rid of some of the extreme wealth concentration in America, and later the wealthy got hit with substantial tax shocks imposed by the federal government in the 1930s and '40s. The American rentier class wasn’t really vaporized the way it was in Europe, where the effects of the two world wars were much more pronounced, but it took a hit. That opened up the playing field and gave people more of a chance to rise on the rungs of the economic ladder through talent and work.

After the Great Depression, inequality decreased in America, as New Deal investment and education programs, government intervention in wages, the rise of unions, and other factors worked to give many more people a chance for success. Inequality reached its lowest ebb between 1950 and 1980. If you were looking at the U.S. during that time, it seemed like a pretty egalitarian place to be (though blacks, Hispanics, and many women would disagree).

As Piketty notes, people like Milton Friedman, an academic economist, were doing rather well in the economy, likely sitting in the top 10 percent income level, and to them, the economy appeared to be doing just fine and rewarding talents and merits very nicely. But the Friedmans weren’t paying enough attention to how the folks on the rungs above them, particularly the one percent and even more so the .01 percent, were beginning to climb into the stratosphere. The people doing that climbing were mostly not academic economists, or lawyers, or doctors. They were managers of large firms who had begun to award themselves very prodigious salaries.

This phenomenon really got going after 1980, when wealth started flowing in vast quantities from the bottom 90 percent of the population to the top 10 percent. By 1987, Ayn Rand acolyte Alan Greenspan had taken over as head of the Federal Reserve, and free market fever was unleashed upon America. People in U.S. business schools started reading Ayn Rand's kooky novels as if they were serious economic treatises and hailing the free market as the only path to progress. John Galt, the hero of Atlas Shrugged(1957), captured the imaginations of young students like Paul Ryan, who worshipped Galt as a superman who could rise to the top through his vision, merit and heroic efforts. Galt became the prototype of the kind of “supermanager” these business schools were supposed to crank out.

Since the ‘80s, the top salaries and pay packages awarded to executives of the largest companies and financial firms in the U.S. have reached spectacular heights. This, coupled with low growth and stagnation of wages for the vast majority of workers, has meant growing inequality. As income from labor gets more and more unequal, income from capital starts to play a bigger role. By the time you get to the .01 percent, virtually all your income comes from capital–stuff like dividends and capital gains. That’s when wealth (what you have) starts to matter more than income (what you earn).

Wealth gathering at the top creates all sorts of problems. Some of these elites will hoard their wealth and fail to do anything productive with it. Others channel it into harmful activities like speculation, which can throw the economy out of whack. Some increase their wealth by preying on the less well-off. As inequality grows, regular people lose their purchasing power. They go into debt. The economy gets destabilized. (Piketty, and many other economists, count the increase in inequality as one of the reasons the economy blew up in 2007-'08.)

By the time you get to 2010, U.S. inequality, according to Piketty’s data, is quantitavely as extreme as in old Europe in the first decade of the 20th century. He predicts that inherited property is going to start to matter more and more in the U.S. as the supermanagers, the Jamie Dimons and so on, bequeath their gigantic hordes of money to their children.

The ironic twist is this: The reason a person like the fictional John Galt would be able to rise from humble beginnings in the 1950s is because the Gilded Age rentiers lost large chunks of their wealth through the shocks the Great Depression and the deliberate government policies that came in its wake, thus loosening their stranglehold on the economy and society. Galt is able to make his fortune precisely because he lives in a society that isn’t dominated by extreme concentrated wealth and dynasties. Yet the logical outcome of an economy in which there is no attempt made to limit the size of fortunes and promote greater equality is a place in which the most likely way John Galt can make a fortune is to marry an heiress. So it was in the Gilded Age. So it may be very soon in America.

Which brings us back to Friedman’s view that people naturally get what they deserve, that reward is based on talent. Well, clearly in the case of inherited property, reward is not based on talent, but membership in the Lucky Sperm Club (or marriage into it). That made Uncle Milty a little bit uncomfortable, but he just huffed that life is not fair, and we shouldn’t think it any more unjust that one person is born with mathematical genius as the other is born with a fortune.

What’s the difference?

Actually, there is a very big difference. It is the particular rules governing society that determine who amasses a fortune and what part of that fortune is passed on to heirs. The wrong-headed policies promoted by libertarians and their ilk, who hate any form of tax on the rich, such as inheritance taxes, have ensured that big fortunes in America are getting bigger, and they will play a much more prominent role in the direction of our society and economy if we continue on the present path.

What we are headed for, after several decades of free market mania, is superinequality, possibly such as the world has never seen. In this world, more and more wealth will be gained off the backs of the 99 percent, and less and less will be earned through hard work.
Which essentially means freedom for the rich, and no one else.

Lynn Parramore is an AlterNet senior editor. She is cofounder of Recessionwire, founding editor of New Deal 2.0, and author of "Reading the Sphinx: Ancient Egypt in Nineteenth-Century Literary Culture." She received her Ph.D. in English and cultural theory from NYU. She is the director of AlterNet's New Economic Dialogue Project. Follow her on Twitter [MENTION=1913]Lynn[/MENTION]Parramore.

10253963_680745361993231_3815578688186879230_n.jpg

10294281_680285448705889_3785349806802356960_n.jpg

If Hannity interviewed the real welfare kings, Walmart owners the Waltons, we think it would go something like this.

[video=youtube_share;of8tH6lU_vM]http://youtu.be/of8tH6lU_vM[/video]