How butthurt can we get?

Trifoilum

find wisdom, build hope.
Dec 27, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
So this is a meta musing I just wondered.
It -was- sparked by recent forum happenings; but I figured this forum is just one part of our social lives, no? And who's living in our social lives, if not ourselves; or at least our ego?
Look elsewhere for potential drama.

So I wonder, and I ask this question instead;
how butthurt can you get? What would drive you -mad-, and how bad would / had your reactions be?
Is there fairness in expressions of-- indignation; to be quite hyperbolic?

Judge if you may, but my intentions are more subjective than objective; emotional, than rational.

(so far) 64 views and no replies.

Awesome. Then I'm doing something right. <3

ANYWAY. I've been thinking about that myself. How sensitive can I get; how butthurt can I become...

Turns out, I'm actually quite easy to get butthurt. Just not here. (Often, at least. I know some amount of people with argument styles that can easily rile me up. I might have to approach them to attack me in a controlled situation.)

My sensitivities are often -not- in a skin-like shape. (Touch me and FEEL MY WRATH AND DIE IN A FIRE). But more radar-like (..Are you saying that? I am offended by your insinuations.) Which....I suppose, told me I'm extremely easy to get butthurt.

Most responsive / most angering?
U MAD BRO.
Being considered to...not think. I can deal with being called a moron. A freak; bah, flip their mattresses.
But being treated as if I don't think about that particular issue (when it's not the case?)
No.

Most paranoid-inducing?
Niceness and distance and silence, all three. I know vibes can be altered; I also know not everyone thinks that way. I know most people are, in some degrees or another, thinking about what others are thinking about them; thus the masks. I also know that masks aren't always a lie.
For all of those, I'm scared when people gave me these and it tend to lead to a 'oh my god am I saying something wrong what did I say is there any meaning in what they do oh my god they don't like me they just tolerate me or ignore me at best FUCK THEM ALL' moment of insecurity-- I thought of them as a form of butthurtness. What about you?

What is -low- from me is showing it.
Oftentimes I'll just either a) jump to a higher moral ground, b)escape and deflect by whatever means, then move on, or c) silently grumbling. Usually a and b, but... I've done c. There. I said it.

Reactions: Gaze
Pretty much any time my intelligence is insulted by someone that I don't respect, usually after they've completely ignored what I've said, or it has gone over their head.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
here? Public humiliation of myself or another.

Reactions: muir
Pretty much any time my intelligence is insulted by someone that I don't respect, usually after they've completely ignored what I've said, or it has gone over their head.

I think I am similar except that it only really hurts if it is someone that I do or once did respect. If I don't respect someone at all, I don't care what they think, but if I do respect them and they say something, then that feels bad.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought 'butthurt' referred to someone having a sustained and (often laughingly) overwhelming negative emotional reaction disproportionate to the situation. It's one thing to have your buttons pushed and react to that in the moment, and entirely another to hold a silly grudge for an indefinite period of time because someone deigned cross you that one time. The former is normal, the latter, however, is possibly telling of a psychiatric problem.

Reactions: Bird and grt$5vb
I use lube, if that helps.

Reactions: grt$5vb and the

u stoopids. :m159:

Last edited:
Reactions: Kgal
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought 'butthurt' referred to someone having a sustained and (often laughingly) overwhelming negative emotional reaction disproportionate to the situation. It's one thing to have your buttons pushed and react to that in the moment, and entirely another to hold a silly grudge for an indefinite period of time because someone deigned cross you that one time. The former is normal, the latter, however, is possibly telling of a psychiatric problem.
That is a fine distinction, actually. It's better than mine. And it certainly paints a different picture than I am.

So, if I may...what defines disproportionate and not?
What defines overreaction and not?
Under whose glasses are we looking at it? Our own? Theirs? A detached 3rd party?

That is a fine distinction, actually. It's better than mine. And it certainly paints a different picture than I am.

So, if I may...what defines disproportionate and not?
What defines overreaction and not?
Under whose glasses are we looking at it? Our own? Theirs? A detached 3rd party?

All good questions, Tri, and the answer is that it entirely depends on the situation. For example, someone cutting you off in traffic is a minor annoyance and most of us might swear and cuss, but most wouldn't think to get out of the car and beat the bloody pulp out of the other person. I think it's a blend of reason checked with social construct.

Reactions: Odyne
i'm a very sensitive person.

i often withdraw when i feel hurt by someone. if i am close with person, and they make me mad -- i can be incredibly articulate. so they know, i know, more than just poetry.

but i really dislike hurting people. because i know the pain.

and i have no desire to degrade people ---- because who am i to do that.

Strangers rarely if ever get me mad, i dismiss them quickly since usually I feel I am in the right. They can fuck themselves etc..

What get's me butthurt is people that I file under friends or potential friends. For example in group conversations I tend to include everyone and rarely focus on one person for opinions. I like things fair, and if a friend is not sensitive to me in terms of fairness i get butthurt easily.

Also a pet peeve is people interrupting when I am talking. I don't talk over other people and happily take a listener role in group settings, just so others can express their opinion. But when it's my turn I demand the moment to make my statement. I make this known right away when people talk over me and there is usually no problems afterwards. People called me 'intense' because of this, so be it.

Edit: I just want to note, my definition of butthurt is being a bit too sensitive to the actual situation, I realize people are different and what irks me often times was not intended to belittle or hurt me. This is why being butthurt i view as negative and my own shortfall yet if someone is making a pattern of it then its their character flaw. As i get older I learned more patience and taking the time to think and not just use emotion to react to the situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
i'm sensitive. i've learned that i need to rewire my emotions and stuffs. when someone hurts my feelings, i should not set their house on fire crying is a more appropriate reaction.

Reactions: Trifoilum
Only thing that hurts my feelings is when someone actually tries to hurt my feelings. Then, it's only that they tried, not that what they said had any effect whatsoever.

Everything, apparently.

That being said I've written down everyone's posts and will be making adjustments to my posting style accordingly... in my favor.

:m065:

Everything, apparently.

That being said I've written down everyone's posts and will be making adjustments to my posting style accordingly... in my favor.

:m065:
Bad, bad boy!

Reactions: Saru Inc
All good questions, Tri, and the answer is that it entirely depends on the situation. For example, someone cutting you off in traffic is a minor annoyance and most of us might swear and cuss, but most wouldn't think to get out of the car and beat the bloody pulp out of the other person. I think it's a blend of reason checked with social construct.
I'll actually just pitifully ask to myself if the person is holding their pee/poo on and OH SHIT I CANNOT HOLD IT ANYMORE ITS LEAKING SHIT MAN AND I GOTTA GO FAST FAST FAST. Or that there's a pregnant lady inside.

Essentially; yes, I agreed.
There are differences between someone legitimately hurt and butthurt.
To be exact, the degree of the offending actions, in proportion of our reactions and the length of the resulting feeling/grudge.
Hmmm. You opened an entirely new world!

</randommusing>
What is the difference between someone being hurt and butthurt?

</randommusing>
What is the difference between someone being hurt and butthurt?

Hurt is when your feelings are hurt; butthurt is more when your ego has suffered the bigger blow and you can't let it go.