How acutely aware are you of your Ni? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How acutely aware are you of your Ni?

I am also reminded of Rosebud as well which @Reason With Logic Filling made mention of recently. Just because you have some symbol in mind doesn't mean somebody else is even going to understand that symbol in the same way.

Jumping from this thought in a way I can't explain at the moment: understanding Cockney rhyming slang from the context, or the Nadsat argot in A Clockwork Orange.

Edit: This went very meta. Associating about how there's subconscious association at work both when interpreting symbols and trying to understand unusual ways of speaking. I also remember once at a party I talked with someone who might have been an ENFJ, and we were making such logical leaps that nobody could follow the conversation. And we hadn't really talked before. Partly it was because we shared interests, but there definitely was also a similar thinking style that didn't require explicitly filling in the blanks although the logic was still there.

Last edited:
I should note that I only now after over a decade of being aware of the existence of Ni, only now do I have some vague sense of when I'm using it. It moves too quickly. I think this is how dominant functions work for everyone, they just move at such a rapid pace that grabbing it is like the coyote catching the road runner. I think it's slightly easier if your dominant function is extroverted because then you can sort of have some tangibility to it.

Ni is like having rapid symbols flashing all the time and each symbol has a whole background of information with it and meanwhile you are associating those symbols in funky ways but it all seems very normal once it's all output into an actual idea/thought/emotion. But also this is all happening at an unconscious level so even when you get a glimpse of it it doesn't make sense. It's like a bizarre encoding process that results in being right about more things than being wrong, but sometimes you're wrong because at some level you fucked up, either in the understanding of the symbol or the symbol itself or the associations.

Not that I'd recommend this, cause used in excess this is seriously psychologically damaging , but there is a way to find out real fast when you're using your dominant function. Try suppressing your most natural way of being, as if it's some evil dragon that must be slain. Of course it won't let you for long, so it will reappear with a vengeance. If you then mindfully observe, it will give you some interesting insights.

And we hadn't really talked before. Partly it was because we shared interests, but there definitely was also a similar thinking style that didn't require explicitly filling in the blanks although the logic was still there.

I find it's incredibly easy to converse with other Ni users when they are reasonable people. Conversation flows and goes interesting places more rapidly. You can mimic this effect with other types to get conversation going down good paths if you can identify their dominant function and cater to it. Doing that feels less natural, but it is doable for the INFJ and one reason we are labeled chameleons because sometimes we even do it subconsciously.

Not that I'd recommend this, cause used in excess this is seriously psychologically damaging , but there is a way to find out real fast when you're using your dominant function. Try suppressing your most natural way of being, as if it's some evil dragon that must be slain. Of course it won't let you for long, so it will reappear with a vengeance. If you then mindfully observe, it will give you some interesting insights.
Question is: how do you do it if you don't even know you're doing it?

38.png

How acutely are INTPs aware of [Ti]?

Excellent question! It actually helps to answer your original (mistated?) question. I was actually unaware Te was a thing (it seemed so... wrong) until I dated an ENTJ. Her obsession with peer-review and the sources facts came from with no regard for an actual logical argument was incredibly infuriating to me. I had my epiphany during that relationship: make an argument that makes sense to me, and I'll accept it. My own subjectivity stared me in the face, but my own logical framework does me a lot of good and allows me to make intelligent decisions (sometimes and somehow).

Reactions: jkxx and Free
...there are no neat slots in my personality that can be divided and examined at will, although of course there are patterns of thought and behaviour that I prefer.

I think taking our personalities and fitting them into neat slots is a valuable tool for analysis. Categorization is immensely useful, though I will admit it has the obvious drawbacks (e.g. supposition).

At the end of the day... I want to fully understand what Ni is. I can probably give a rough, brief description of the other cognitive functions in their intraverted and extraverted forms, but Ni eludes me. I just don't grok it.

LOL. If I were smart, I would understand Ni by now. From an IQ standpoint, I think I'm dumber than almost every INTP I know in real life. Unless you're saying you are smart...

I don't personally subscribe to the ideas that we have these specific sets of cognitive functions that dictates in which order we process things, to me Ni Ne Si Se etc aren't actually what's "going on" under the hood. With that said I'd like to think of Ni as what we work with subconsciously. We take in enough data that we can then push it to the subconscious instead of actively having to think it through in order to get the answer. To me I often either "see" the solution or I don't, without having to bother actively going over the details of the matter myself. It might not hit me at first, but at some point some piece of information will just crop up like *aha*. I don't think that's something unique to certain MBTI though, some people are just more in tune with this way of processing things.

LOL. If I were smart, I would understand Ni by now. From an IQ standpoint, I think I'm dumber than almost every INTP I know in real life. Unless you're saying you are smart...
Nope, making fun of myself with the Ti/Te thing. I was going somewhere with it all but then people distracted me and now I just don't remember

I am also reminded of Rosebud as well which @Reason With Logic Filling made mention of recently. Just because you have some symbol in mind doesn't mean somebody else is even going to understand that symbol in the same way.

Nobody was in the room when he supposedly said "rosebud." Fake news! The failing mainstream media is wasting so much time with this witch hunt. So sad!

you guys aren't going to let me forget are you?

Awww.....I'm really going to miss Event Horizon.....(just kidding).