Homeschooling | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Homeschooling

Serket said:
Ok, my turn.
I am generally against home schooling.

-it is often promoted by conservative religious people. I understand their desire to protect their children from what they perceive as negative societal influences. However, I think it is detrimental to a child to not give the access to other ways of living and believing. The pursuit of knowledge is always admirable. I know my beliefs are stronger for having been questioned and challenged by others.

-the world is a social environment. At some point it is necessary to join the world. Children who are home schooled are at a disadvantage for not having had to go through the same childhood social learning experiences as others.

-Home-schooled children are limited to the knowledge and teaching ability of their parents, rather than having access to a variety of teachers and other students to learn from.

-as knowledgeable and educated as my mother is, I can’t learn from her. All her attempts to teach me over the years have ended in arguments.

-I have a job as a tutor largely for this reason. Many parents find themselves unable to teach with their children because their personalities clash. Often an outsider as more respected and listened to. I know my students often get really upset with their parents of the length of tutoring or the amount of homework I set them. None has ever gotten upset with me. I get hugs and presents and find myself consulted as a friend (or adopted sister) on many issues.

So I see the benefit of one-on-one tuition, but I think it should be only one approach to education.

See my above post. If that doesn't answer much of this, there really isn't much more that I can do and we will have to agree to disagree.

I am homeschooled.

I can testify that there is indeed a lot of socialization among homeschoolers. We have our own associations, which enable us to form quiz bowl teams, have private tutoring and classes (the homeschooling parents take turns teaching their specialty subjects), and many other events that I could name. There is plenty available, and I do not think the children are being deprived, unless they are very needy E's. I for one have no desire for more socialization than I already have, and it would not hurt me to cut back. The only thing that's missing is bullying. Daily socialization in school has much more opportunity for the bad aspects.

Satya said:
Of course, what makes the biggest difference is whether or not the child wants to be homeschooled. If they would much prefer to be in school, then they would probably do better there. If the parent is forcing them to be at home, then the child obviously will not be highly motivated or appreciative. So really, a lot of it comes down to the children as individuals.

True, I've just had some emotionally wretched experiences regarding high school with bullying and the academic competitiveness, which pretty much banished my confidence. Piling up five projects at once before a deadline cancels out motivation. Forcing us to remember facts (ahh, migraines) to forget right after a test punishes the intuitive. And if public speaking and participating in class discussions is so vital a part of the marking criteria, I wish teachers at least learnt about personality types.

I agree Kwistalline that it's an artificial un-reality to an extent. High school is probably the most social phase I'll have to go through in my life.
My grades are dropping because my coping mechanism is finding any excuse not to care.

Kwistalline said:
I actually feel guilt when I do well. To hear someone praise me is the equivalent to murdering a baby. That's a bit extreme, but that's how deep my empathy for her went. I totally felt her pain, and the better I did the worse I felt.

I have friends who sweat their brains dry, yet don't succeed as well as others and I'm starting to prefer to empathise with them instead of trying to keep on top of my game.

I'm a very timid and shy kid but I find avoiding people is conducive of this as much as being around peers my age five days a week.

If my parents were qualified and if we were part of a solid network of home schooling groups than it'd have the potential to be a positive option for me. Although I could handle the system better if I were interested in the curriculum. I’ve yet to meet an INFJ who hasn’t said life will get better after high school! I’m hoping college won’t be so bad. At least we get to choose our majors.

sriv said:
. People don’t respond well when things are forced upon them, especially if they are exceptionally stubborn

True. The freedom to learn at my own pace is very important to me. And also the freedom to learn whatever I want... :)

In Please Understand Me II it was ESTJ I think whom the K-12 system was said to be "made for." When I read this I felt like stabbing someone in the face! All in good fun, this amused me more than it made me irate. I knew one who lied to me (as I assume:p) about hating school probably because she didn't want to push my buttons lol. I would've preferred her to gush out the truth though... The public school system would be beneficial for most kids, only because extraverts determine most of these social constructs. Such is life, but mine is mine; I plan to avoid them as much as possible! :D Introverts need to be brought out of their comfort zone every once in awhile sure, but for me it’s everyday.

"We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
The dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers, leave those kids alone!
HEY TEACHERS! LEAVE THOSE KIDS ALONE!
All in all you're just another brick in the wall"

I'm a Junior in High School now, and before I took AP English Language I used to LOVE writing. Now my writing style is pretty much leaving me with constant Bs and Cs on my papers. Like "Yeah don't do this, don't do this." And I'm pretty much sick of it. Change or fail, those are the only options.

write stuff specifically for them, continue writing everywhere else for you