Help!

tfg345i4u5lw

On Holiday
Apr 11, 2010
MBTI
????
Enneagram
None
I am fascinated by shared storage and storage area networks and I have read books on them but I have no practical experience. The storage administrator at my work won't teach me, he is selfish and doesn't want to lose value (I think). I have proven to him that I am eager to learn and I keep asking him to teach me but he doesn't want to.

At what point should I stop bugging him? He said last week that today he would teach me how to backup arrays to disk but I texted him today and he never texted me back. DOUSCHE. If I knew storage I would be eager to teach someone who proved he was willing to learn, especially if I knew them my whole life. Fuckin dousche.

Do you know what sound it makes when the storage admin at my work jumps in the pool????..... DOUSCHE!!

Edit: The storage arrays are in my office so I get to look at them all day. =)

Like storing files over networks?

He is probably referring to SAN, NAS and other types other types of centralized storage.

I'm not really familair but I'm sure there has to be a book or course on using SAN, NAS and other technologies that deal with back end storage.

As for your System admin coworker. I don't know. Honestly if he isn't willing to teach I wouldn't bother bugging him about it.

From what you've shared, you make it seem like you're bothering him and haven't set up any constraints for what it is you want to know. Have you tried tactfully stroking his ego a bit and starting to learn in small increments? If he's around quite a bit, then you may have ample opportunity to learn a lot over a long period of time. Find a pace he's comfortable working at and go from there. Remember, he'd be helping you out, so value his time and effort.

For example: "It seems like you're extremely knowledgeable and I think I can learn a lot from you. Whenever you get a chance, I've got a few questions about [that specific thing you mentioned about storage system]."

Once you think you have something valuable you can offer him, he may want you around.

Best of luck!
- J, CPA