Having Children… The Dilemma | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Having Children… The Dilemma

There's no reason for you to have a kid right now, or ever if you so choose. "Everyone else thinking you should" is perhaps the worst reason of all. Don't be so influenced by the opinions of others around you, because this is pretty much one of the ultimate decisions of your life and in a perfect world you should be spending a lot of time helping to consider the future of the children and your ability to provide for them. Just because others are entertaining thoughts with you and discussions and putting ideas into your head, doesn't mean you need to actually go after it and DO it, nor does it mean that's what these people necessarily want for you deep down. It's only because they see you in the daddy role that their minds have associated your current life situation with, and so they're striking those associations and conversation up. And anyone who really cares about you should know that you really shouldn't be letting yourself be overly influenced by their ideas. Think for yourself and don't let people draw drama or artificially create dilemmas in your life that don't exist. Children as a goal is a decision you will create, out of your own desire, and your gf/wife's, for that family bond, and then you go for it. No interference from outside factors. As little as possible left unaccounted for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Eventhorizon
I’m 25, I’ve finished graduate school, I’m in a committed relationship with a woman who has a 5 year old and wants more kids, and my career is going well. Despite all of this, I am on the fence about having kids myself. I know, I’m young but I’m getting to that point that the question comes up often, not just with my girlfriend but also with friends and family.

I don’t feel prepared for children. I am good with kids and I’ve had thoughts on each end of the spectrum as far as being a father goes. I also hear plenty of people tell me I would be a great parent and that I would be stupid for not having kids. My closest guy friends, many which are the party going type are the biggest advocates of me settling down and having kids. I’ve gone from, “Yeah, I would love to have kids someday” to “Fuck that, not in a million years”, sometimes within the same conversation. I don’t think I would be a terrible father but at the same time, not the best either.

“I see it all perfectly; there are two possible situations – one can either do this or that. My honest opinion and my friendly advice is this: do it or do not do it – you will regret boh.”
- Soren Kierkegaard, Either/Or

i think you will make a great dad, but its one of those things that you have to really want on every level in order to do it! otherwise you become one of those totally absent fathers like mine was who is always off playing tennis or glued to the tv or computer or a cigarette or whatever for "stress relief", never giving their kids the genuine love and attention they really need. anyway, theres heaps of time. ive never understood why people have children before 30. in the meantime you can enjoy the company of your girlfriends child.

You would feel different if he/she is your own child. Don't beat yourself up over this issue. If having children is meant to happen in your life it will and you have plenty of time.

10273716_10152410290971639_3267464344562172095_n.jpg

Reactions: PintoBean
Lots of great advice here!

I just wanted to add two things:

(1) I think the majority of people will feel they are never 'ready' for kids. I don't think there's anything you can do to prepare for being a parent. The immense responsibility, complete change in life, and the lifelong commitment is something that I don't think you can prepare for...but, with all that said, even those who are the least prepared, often don't regret having a child.

(2) I just want to reiterate that you are still young. I remember when I was 25 and thinking I was ready for a child. Between the ages of 26 and 29 I changed substantially. I am a different person. The transition and growth between those years for me was profound- and even though I felt I was ready for a child, looking back, I wasn't. My perspectives and desires have changed, and I was extremely happy to have those years where I could explore my own personal growth.

I don't know if any of that is helpful or not..but you shouldn't let external pressures push you towards having a kid or not. Explore parenthood through being a step dad...that can be just as fulfilling.

You answered your own question. You're not ready.

And I can think of a solid reason why having a child scares you; you're not ready! Also, you mention being in a committed relationship with your gf, but that doesn't automatically mean you need to jump into having children together.

The way I see it, you do want children; this is obvious to me. And you will eventually have them one day. But at 25, you have time. What you should be more concerned about is who you will end up having them with. A lot of couples run into problems after having a baby because it's only then that they realize they hold very different values in regards to family and raising children. It can cause a major strain on the relationship. Next thing you know, you get to see your child every other weekend, which could be considered an unstable environment no matter how hard you try to make it work. Therefore, I feel that having the right partner that shares similar values is key.

You say your gf has a 5 yr old; is she a good mom? Everyone has their own definition of what a good mom looks like, so what qualities do you feel are important for your child's mother to have (if you don't mind sharing)? And does your gf possess these qualities?

In my mind she is a good mom but not the best single mom. If that makes sense. There are those moms who somehow do a great job being a single mom. Balancing being the only income, manage the entire household and make time for their kids. She does most of that well but not all of it. She has the qualities I look for in a spouse but those qualities typically translate to not being that all-star single mom. It's one half of the parent equation.

To be completely honest, I'm kind of old school and it may get me some heat but it's just what I like. Nothing against anything else, it's just what I prefer. The traditional "house wife" appeals to me. Someone who enjoys the task of running and managing a household and family. Someone who takes pride in that and doesn't see it as lesser to being the career oriented person. There was an article I read awhile back about a man posting that he couldn't afford his wife. He calculated all the hours she spent cleaning, taking care of the kids, amount they saved in day care, etc... by her being a stay at home mom and I think it came out to around $70,000 per year. That is right in lines with my perspective on it. I grew up in a very ambitious household so I basically was raised each year by a different adult as we shifted from one nanny to the next to grand parents and other family. It taught me a lot and one thing it taught me it is highly important to have at least one parent whose main focus isn't making money.

So to use simple descriptions. I look for someone who is nurturing, sensitive, emotionally stable, kind, patient, flexible, fun, energetic and creative. A lot of people imagine me being with a very ambitious girl and being some type of power couple considering the way I come across but I find myself more attracted to the sweet, reserved, quirky, nerdy, girl next door type. Someone who really enjoys spending time with their kids doing things like art projects, going to the park, carving pumpkins, baking cookies, etc... Someone that really encourages their growth as individuals and allows them to be children. Essentially, what I want for my kids is what I didn't have. I will manage the bills, bring in most of the income, build a solid foundation, provide structure, set expectations, keep everything working, make terrible dad jokes, embarrass the hell out of my kids, and yell at the refs at my kids games. I can see myself in a middle-class home, shirtless, covered in tattoos, wearing floral swimming trunks and bright pink crocs with long white socks while mowing the lawn simply with the intention of making my kids never want to associate with me ever again. So I look for someone who rounds out my rough edges.

Does my girlfriend at this moment fit into that mold completely? No but can I see it? Yeah, if she wants it. If it is something she imagines herself being is more important than what I see in her. Which is why we talk about it. She knows what I want and I know mostly what she wants. They tend to be pretty similar. Truth be told, I haven't met a girl yet at my age who is what I am looking for, right now but they could be there in 3 to 5 years. Again, we are young. Most girls my age are just finishing college and are figuring out what they want just as I am. From what we have talked about, our ideas and desires as far as raising a family goes fit well together. Of course they come from picturing an ideal situation and it may not work that way but we do have similar goals.

In my mind she is a good mom but not the best single mom. If that makes sense. There are those moms who somehow do a great job being a single mom. Balancing being the only income, manage the entire household and make time for their kids. She does most of that well but not all of it. She has the qualities I look for in a spouse but those qualities typically translate to not being that all-star single mom. It's one half of the parent equation.

To be completely honest, I'm kind of old school and it may get me some heat but it's just what I like. Nothing against anything else, it's just what I prefer. The traditional "house wife" appeals to me. Someone who enjoys the task of running and managing a household and family. Someone who takes pride in that and doesn't see it as lesser to being the career oriented person. There was an article I read awhile back about a man posting that he couldn't afford his wife. He calculated all the hours she spent cleaning, taking care of the kids, amount they saved in day care, etc... by her being a stay at home mom and I think it came out to around $70,000 per year. That is right in lines with my perspective on it. I grew up in a very ambitious household so I basically was raised each year by a different adult as we shifted from one nanny to the next to grand parents and other family. It taught me a lot and one thing it taught me it is highly important to have at least one parent whose main focus isn't making money.

So to use simple descriptions. I look for someone who is nurturing, sensitive, emotionally stable, kind, patient, flexible, fun, energetic and creative. A lot of people imagine me being with a very ambitious girl and being some type of power couple considering the way I come across but I find myself more attracted to the sweet, reserved, quirky, nerdy, girl next door type. Someone who really enjoys spending time with their kids doing things like art projects, going to the park, carving pumpkins, baking cookies, etc... Someone that really encourages their growth as individuals and allows them to be children. Essentially, what I want for my kids is what I didn't have. I will manage the bills, bring in most of the income, build a solid foundation, provide structure, set expectations, keep everything working, make terrible dad jokes, embarrass the hell out of my kids, and yell at the refs at my kids games. I can see myself in a middle-class home, shirtless, covered in tattoos, wearing floral swimming trunks and bright pink crocs with long white socks while mowing the lawn simply with the intention of making my kids never want to associate with me ever again. So I look for someone who rounds out my rough edges.

Does my girlfriend at this moment fit into that mold completely? No but can I see it? Yeah, if she wants it. If it is something she imagines herself being is more important than what I see in her. Which is why we talk about it. She knows what I want and I know mostly what she wants. They tend to be pretty similar. Truth be told, I haven't met a girl yet at my age who is what I am looking for, right now but they could be there in 3 to 5 years. Again, we are young. Most girls my age are just finishing college and are figuring out what they want just as I am. From what we have talked about, our ideas and desires as far as raising a family goes fit well together. Of course they come from picturing an ideal situation and it may not work that way but we do have similar goals.

(If you haven't already) Be open and honest with her. Say exactly all of what you have said here. If she then chooses to stick around with you for a few years to see where it goes and how your feelings on these matters develop then just be happy and go with it. You seem like you could be content with the relationship as it is for now until you get some age under your belt, she might just be the same way. Not everything needs and end-goal plan.

There's no reason for you to have a kid right now, or ever if you so choose. "Everyone else thinking you should" is perhaps the worst reason of all. Don't be so influenced by the opinions of others around you, because this is pretty much one of the ultimate decisions of your life and in a perfect world you should be spending a lot of time helping to consider the future of the children and your ability to provide for them. Just because others are entertaining thoughts with you and discussions and putting ideas into your head, doesn't mean you need to actually go after it and DO it, nor does it mean that's what these people necessarily want for you deep down. It's only because they see you in the daddy role that their minds have associated your current life situation with, and so they're striking those associations and conversation up. And anyone who really cares about you should know that you really shouldn't be letting yourself be overly influenced by their ideas. Think for yourself and don't let people draw drama or artificially create dilemmas in your life that don't exist. Children as a goal is a decision you will create, out of your own desire, and your gf/wife's, for that family bond, and then you go for it. No interference from outside factors. As little as possible left unaccounted for.

I agree. I do want kids but I am not certain it will happen. I take into consideration what people close to me say because it's an outside perspective and they may be seeing something that I am missing. It's all a part of the puzzle as I figure it out. One of my good friends is 40 years old, has known me since I was 4 years old and has 3 kids of his own. I have baby sat them multiple times and his advice was simple and I respect it because it's him and I know he wants what is best for me. His kids are his greatest joy in life. He was the ultimate bachelor, good looking, very well spoken, fraternity guy, got any girl he wanted, etc... A player, if you will. When comparing the two different stages of his life, being a father has been infinite more times rewarding for him. If he could have only choose one, he would choose to be a father. I love his kids and enjoy spending time with them and he has always given me good advice because he also doesn't mince words. He probably knows me better than anybody because he has been around my family and me, almost my entire life. He says he sees the "potential" in me to be a great father, if I want it. Of course being him, he added in that I would be a "selfish stupid fuck" if I didn't but, "he would still love me." He believes I will be happy, healthy and successful either way but did share that nothing has made him more happy in life than his kids. Of course, this is just his experience and his opinion but it helps to hear it. He didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, he told me what he believes and I respect that.

(If you haven't already) Be open and honest with her. Say exactly all of what you have said here. If she then chooses to stick around with you for a few years to see where it goes and how your feelings on these matters develop then just be happy and go with it. You seem like you could be content with the relationship as it is for now until you get some age under your belt, she might just be the same way. Not everything needs and end-goal plan.

Oh we have. She says she can't imagine me having kids right now. She said 3 to 5 years sounds about right

Lots of great advice here!

I just wanted to add two things:

(1) I think the majority of people will feel they are never 'ready' for kids. I don't think there's anything you can do to prepare for being a parent. The immense responsibility, complete change in life, and the lifelong commitment is something that I don't think you can prepare for...but, with all that said, even those who are the least prepared, often don't regret having a child.

(2) I just want to reiterate that you are still young. I remember when I was 25 and thinking I was ready for a child. Between the ages of 26 and 29 I changed substantially. I am a different person. The transition and growth between those years for me was profound- and even though I felt I was ready for a child, looking back, I wasn't. My perspectives and desires have changed, and I was extremely happy to have those years where I could explore my own personal growth.

I don't know if any of that is helpful or not..but you shouldn't let external pressures push you towards having a kid or not. Explore parenthood through being a step dad...that can be just as fulfilling.

2) I have a feeling the same is going to happen for me. Already, I feel very different than I how I felt this time last year. Something feels like it has shifted. My questions have changed from before where I was always looking to my past in regards to everything I have experienced and figuring out how I coped with them to now it's more existential. It's more quarter life crisis. Who am I? What do I actually want with my life? What am I capable of? What is my place in the world? Etc... It's all very frustrating and at the same time exciting. I think for the first time, I am really looking at my life big picture and realizing that my youth; though important, is just one stage of life. It is a fraction of who and what I will be and can be. I have all this in front of me to look forward too and I'm genuinely excited about all the potential. There is so much opportunity, so many options and decisions to be made. It's frightening but also so very amazing. I'm considering things and wanting to do things I felt like I never had the right or ability to do before. Before it was just about grinding, getting through the next crisis and staying alive. I didn't feel comfortable thinking or planning because there was just too much that needed to get done now.

Long term goals I had were dreams that were on my "nice-to-have" list but in the present took priority. Now for the first time, they feel like an actual possibility. This whole having kids thing falls into that category. For years people have been telling me I would be a great dad and mostly I would just laugh it off and it wouldn't sink in. In the last year, suddenly the notion of me being able to settle down and have a family doesn't seem unrealistic. It always felt like an ideal before, a dream of something that would not likely happen but now it feels like an actual possibility. It has me thinking about things in a more practical way than I did before.

Someone said this about me, “You’re great with kids but it’s more like you tolerate them versus actually want to be around them.” At this point in my life, I need a lot of alone time to recharge my batteries. I take this time to mostly work on art projects, write and work out but it might also include playing video games. If I have kids, I’m pretty confident this would disappear.

So, I picked this phrase because this was me before. I have not read the other comments yet, I would like my raw opinion out there.

I was married to a man with 4 kids. 8 years before I got pregnant. I tolerated his kids just fine. Did not bond with them, had no sort of connection except I accepted their father, so I accept them. I still fear today that I am a terrible mother. I divorced my husband because he chose with his dick while I was giving birth. He cheated on me while I was still in the hospital. Everyday I wonder if that was the right decision for my son, but I know it was the right decision for me. So I have my son, and he is my absolute everything. But I still get to recharge, so if I am recharging by surfing the internet, my son gets the tablet, so he feels like he is doing what mommie is doing. If I am cooking to recharge, he gets packages of different treats, some bowls, some cups, to feel like he gets to create a masterpiece. He gets finger paints or sidewalk chalk while I am writing. He gets his own child sized broom and fake vacuum while I am cleaning. I still get to recharge, and he goes with it most the time. We just had to figure out what worked for him.

If it is you and his mother, you might actually have the chance to recharge alone once in a while, as long as you allow the same of her. Its always me and my son, no help, so we do what works for us. My son really gave my life purpose that I was lacking before.

It is not the kids, its the woman. If at twenty five you feel financially secure enough to have a family the only real issue is whether or not your partner is the right person. Don't cloud the issue, cut to the heart of it.