Have you ever had someone 'take on' your personality? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Have you ever had someone 'take on' your personality?

You know Restraint, I think that's very helpful. And you are right, it does come down to self-concept. Mimicry is a normal and necessary human survival tool. Interesting!

You know Restraint, I think that's very helpful. And you are right, it does come down to self-concept. Mimicry is a normal and necessary human survival tool. Interesting!

Thanks Moxie.

I have never experienced this personally, but I think I can shed a possibility about him...

Sometimes when someone feels as though who they are might end up being rejected, they mimic others they respect and admire while they are trying to experience life from anothers perspective.

It is amazing just how much one soaks up with roll playing, if anyone has ever done any acting, it can be a very powerful experience and in my mind, not something to be worried about too much.

It usually stems from a need to be accepted somehow, and from a fear of rejection for their own inner being. It helps them feel safer and more in sync with others while helping them develope who they want to become eventually, especially if they do not possess a strong sense of self and identity, or if they have an insecure sense of both.

This post came from an intuition about this person, and I suspect that I'm right.

Wow, knowing that kind of person would be very creepy.

yes, although it might be kinda fun to experiment with asking them some questions and seeing what the say and how they say it...

then take it further and hint that you're on to'em ;)

Wow, knowing that kind of person would be very creepy.

Just like any other disorder, it's a sickness which needs help, and needs to be acknowledged and addressed. The problem is that most people only think of themselves as victims of these kinds of people, and don't take the opportunity to consider that some (not all) mimics are victims themselves. Some may've been raised in an environment where their self-concept was poorly developed, and their entire identity was defined by others. They weren't taught or allowed to develop a personal identity outside of what was expected of them, so they learned to adapt themselves, to become like those around them who seemed to be independent and successful.

Now, don't get me wrong, some of these people are just classically genius manipulators, and simply become, to use a tricky analogy, like leeches, developing a type of co-dependence on the persons they mimic. Now, if you realize what they're doing, and yes, they can be very creepy, then the best way to respond is distance yourself, without making them feel weird or rejected. They may also develop feelings for the person they're mimicing, especially if the person is nice and very caring. Now, these mimics are sometimes very sensitive and brittle, because their sense of self is shaky. So, how you respond to them is very important, especially if you want to guard against any further contact with them that could make you even more uncomfortable.

Some think they're inferior or not good enough because they don't have or demonstrate the qualities which are respected and considered positive. So, it's tricky.

If nothing else, seek a licensed counselor on how to handle it.

But that's my two cents.

Last edited:
I think it is wise to see this other perspective. Thank you. When people are under duress or broken they will sometimes do things out of the ordinary.

I think it is very respectable of you to not be so quick to judge and instead have empathy. We have a very shallow society....and when someone can turn around and show me their perspective I admire that. So thank you.

It reminds me of what I learn from Mother Theresa. So many people would see the people she tended to as street trash. Instead she saw the greater picture and instead saw the state of their soul.

Last edited:
I wonder how long a 'personality' can last?

Or when do they decide to move on

Has anyone witnessed the change?

I wonder how long a 'personality' can last?

Or when do they decide to move on

Has anyone witnessed the change?

I've seen people who do this (I've known more than one) change in front of my eyes. It's a role...like method acting.