the

Si master race.
Banned
Feb 17, 2009
MBTI
ISTJ
Enneagram
9w1
I saw this posted else where, would you rather hire a gender studies graduate or a high school drop out? Go into as little or as much detail as you'd like; and this is for any job you wish but ideally for your own coworker.

Either.
It depends on the person's life experience, accomplishments, practical intelligence, ability to do the job, drive, etc.

I know quite a few people who are both. Those are the most successful people I know, because they goofed off for a few years, then discovered what they really wanted and worked hard for it. They have book smarts and street smarts. I'd hire them before people in either of the other two categories. :)

Reactions: PintoBean
This is you, [MENTION=731]the[/MENTION] : [video=youtube;oavMtUWDBTM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oavMtUWDBTM[/video]

I saw this posted else where, would you rather hire a gender studies graduate or a high school drop out? Go into as little or as much detail as you'd like; and this is for any job you wish but ideally for your own coworker.

It seems like it would be more and more dependent on the job....(you couldn’t be a HS dropout and work in the OR).
If I am hiring pizza delivery people - I wouldn’t care as much, but it would be helpful to know why they dropped out - did they do so because Dad died and they had to work?
If it’s someone managing the store, then I would try to find the most educated person I could.
Personally I would rather hire someone who is “educated” regardless of their major - they must still take core classes...reading, writing, arithmetic, etc..
If it was a job where someone could learn on the job and didn’t require basic skills learned in HS or College then depending on that person I may consider hiring them...though generally you would try to hire the most intelligent people possible - and although education doesn’t make someone who is idiotic more intelligent, it does make those opposite more likely to be passed by when searching for employment.
(that and you can trust they know basic math skills, etc., I suppose you could make a pre-employment test haha)

If it’s picking grapes like they used to do where I grew up...who cares about even a HS diploma?
If it’s the guy who designs/builds the machinery that processes those grapes, he better know what he’s doing - thusly educated.

Last edited:
This is you, [MENTION=731]the[/MENTION] : [video=youtube;oavMtUWDBTM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oavMtUWDBTM[/video]

#longhairdontcare

If job training is understood as being part of the arrangement, I'd rather have the dropout.

Less baggage, and less issues.

Definitely the gender studies graduate. Because even seemingly pointless degrees can incredibly useful. And I'm not just saying that because I have a degree in philosophy.

Gender studies graduate.

Education teaches you how to think and more of it you have the better off you are.

The candidate has also graduated from something which means they have completed a program of study. This says something about perseverance.

HS dropout. With that, you have not wasted your money and you can still take the GED and go on to get vocational training in a potentially lucrative and rewarding career. I know a lot of happy hair stylists! My electrician friend (who dropped out of HS at 15) is financially way more successful than most of the people I went to law school with. I've never met a plumber hurting for work or cash. But I suspect many a well-spoken waitress of having something like a gender studies degree.

Last edited:

That vocational training is a form of education that is grossly underrated. The list posted had various forms of college degrees, but did not mention vocational certifying programs at all. Also, I think by the year those numbers are becoming more and more outdated as the catastrophe of student loans and other economic factors that the current government administration has consistently played down are becoming more obvious. There is an education bubble, just like the technology and housing bubbles. It is in the process of bursting I believe. It seems elitist views constitute what it means to have an education. People become skilled in trades through various processes (state certifying programs, journey men training etc) . Trades can be quite lucrative. Yeah, just dropping out of HS and beginning a long career as a pancake waitress is not the way to go. My only point is that, contrary to popular opinion, dropping out of HS and not attending any type of college (community or otherwise) does not predestine one to poverty. There are smart ways of going about everything. Maybe the issue is that the typical HS dropout is not destined to be successful for other reasons, not redressable or fixed by giving out enough extravagant loans to get them a 4 year degree in gender studies. I think people are mixing up correlation with causality. People who get any 4 year degree in general may have other factors going int their lives which will make them successful and give them a higher quality of life. In other words, getting a 4 year degree at any cost does not guarantee you to have the success indicated by the numbers in the Huff Post link. It just means that your success is correlated to that factor. [MENTION=5297]Katniss Neverbeef[/MENTION]

Last edited:
Yes but vocational training is still education. Where I'm from, apprenticeship is a post secondary career path. You have to be a high school graduate to apply, so dropping out at 15 and not going back is not an option.

My only point is that, contrary to popular opinion, dropping out of HS and not attending any type of college (community or otherwise) does not predestine one to poverty.
If it doesn't predestine you to poverty it makes it much more likely. and not getting skill virtually guarantees it.

here are smart ways of going about everything. Maybe the issue is that the typical HS dropout is not destined to be successful for other reasons, not redressable or fixed by giving out enough extravagant loans to get them a 4 year degree in gender studies.

This statement I don't think I believe, or fully understand the point you trying to make. I don't people are destined to unsuccessful.

Yes but vocational training is still education. Where I'm from, apprenticeship is a post secondary career path. You have to be a high school graduate to apply, so dropping out at 15 and not going back is not an option.

If it doesn't predestine you to poverty it makes it much more likely. and not getting skill virtually guarantees it.

This statement I don't think I believe, or fully understand the point you trying to make. I don't people are destined to unsuccessful.
I have two vocational certifications. I have never heard of vocational training programs requiring a HS degree vs a GED. That sounds highly unusual.
How do you determine cause vs effect in all this?
The word "predestine" is perhaps disturbing. However, whether you want to attribute factors in someone's life to nature or nature or some combo, there are certain things that most certainly correlate in a causal way to what one's life experience will be on the socioeconomic spectrum. Ramming a 4 year degree down the throat of all and sundry will probably not fix the problems that would cause someone to drop out of HS. However, fixing (at a waaaay earlier age) the issues in someone's life that would cause them to drop out (promiscuity, pregnancy, substance abuse, poverty, under-achievement) could help. It is the life work and dream of many social workers I am certain. But the 4 year a degree is an end product, not a direct cause of someone's success in life. And there are some things that no amount of social work can fix for many people.

Last edited:
Interesting how High School drop outs are perceived to be less intelligent and capable. Im a high school drop out and its never stopped me. I've never had anyone think I was a HS drop out. Basic intelligence has nothing to do with education. Similarly, a formal education isn't the only way to learn.

I would guess it would depend on the person and type of work. Gender studies students can be damn insufferable.

Basic intelligence has nothing to do with education.

Education at its best is training for your mind. Some people don't need or want and do fine without it. But that's not a majority. Some people can learn without formal education but again this not typical. There are exceptions to every rule I suppose.
[MENTION=13730]PintoBean[/MENTION]
Ramming a 4 year degree down the throat of all and sundry will probably not fix the problems that would cause someone to drop out of HS.

I would not say that. The question is who would you rather hire for a job. Playing the odds I would still choose the person with the most education.

[MENTION=14199]brightmoon[/MENTION] yes, education at it's best is training for the mind, but you're born with a certain level of intelligence. An intelligent mind deprived of a formal education isn't going to be any less intelligent. Similarly a less intelligent person isn't going to necessarily be any better off being thrown into a degree course they maybe don't really understand. There are plenty of idiots with degrees walking around who aren't capable of doing the jobs they've been hired for.

It would depend on the job requirements. With that being said, I can't think of a use for a gender studies degree outside of academia (or possibly HR).

In my experience, those who are hired based on their formal education are usually the least useful workers and require the most babysitting. Obviously it's not this way for every industry; just saying that context counts.

yes, education at it's best is training for the mind, but you're born with a certain level of intelligence. An intelligent mind deprived of a formal education isn't going to be any less intelligent

Yes, but their mind may be less developed. Again at its best education can be seen as a method to train your mind, not to say there aren't other methods to train your mind, but education is one of the most effective.

There are plenty of idiots with degrees walking around who aren't capable of doing the jobs they've been hired for.

Yes and all auto mechanics aren't equal either, and any kind of training does not guarantee success . Some mechanics are really good and have the innate troubleshooting skills that allow them to solve the problem (for example, the mysterious clunk in my car), they can apply their previous experience to new problems they encounter. Others just can't, and if the problem isn't obvious, they are just lost.

The other thing I will say about say education. Take the example of immigrant communities. Some immigrant communities put a high degree of importance on education for cultural reasons. Its been generally proven that those communities and their descendants have great economic success and upward mobility than other communities who to do not put as much value on education.

Self selecting a Gender studies program is a good screening tool to keep crazies out of the hiring pool.

Whatever one doesn't think air conditioning is sexist.

Reactions: Shaqie