Gamergate controversary

Lark

Rothchildian Agent
May 9, 2011
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate_controversy#The_Fine_Young_Capitalists

I posted in another thread about the game Hatred about the Gamergate controversary but realised afterward that there's not an actual thread about the controversary.

Above I tagged a wiki which gives a not too bad overview to the whole furore and I'd be interested to know what anyones opinions are about it, its clear that there's a lot of different forces pitching in and a lot of pretty different perspectives on what is at stake and what is being discussed, this can happen in any long enough running dispute (not to be too NT about it but I would add when there's a lot of emoting too) when people begin to attempt to frame and reframe it.

I'm interested in what peoples views are and also what the views are about the roles of groups like 4Chan, Reddit etc. in creating news and social constructions or meaning.

i will summarize my thoughts
there is legitimate argument for gamergate, but obviously some people on the internet who act in the name of it, aren't going to behave decently. There is a difference between the issues with journalism and the response it got.

Those who don't understand what's going on will probably conflate the word "gamergate" as a label representing sexist male gamers.

I hate the gamer community. I don't see why anyone would want to be associated with it and take it as an identity. They get whatever they deserve frankly. Always full of drama and the zeitgeist is just totally pitiful. This is why I'm friends with a whole two people on Steam.

How do you misspell controversy three times in a row by the way? Seriously you are killing my OCD.

Reactions: muir
I hate the gamer community. I don't see why anyone would want to be associated with it and take it as an identity. They get whatever they deserve frankly. Always full of drama and the zeitgeist is just totally pitiful. This is why I'm friends with a whole two people on Steam.

How do you misspell controversy three times in a row by the way? Seriously you are killing my OCD.

How rude.

Reactions: sprinkles
The internet has had a massive effect on human consciousness by allowing people access to ready information that they did not have access to before

People are learning the truth about who runs their world and how they do it so the powers that be have become very nervous about this

Attempts to control the internet became inevitable

The corporatocracy tried to pass a raft of laws like PIPA, SOPA and ACTA to try and control the internet but now they are trying to take things even further

So at the same time as 'gamergate' we are also seeing scandals about 'trolls' for example the madeline mccann one and we are also seeing the publishing of nude pics of famous celebs that have supposedly been hacked

All this is orchestrated and the result of it will be that the governments create new laws to clamp down on free speech online

What interests me is the totally different narratives.

There is no common ground as to what is actually being disputed and disagreed about, this interests me because I think a lot of conflict is like this and it ensures it perpetuation and prevents its effective management or resolution (I actually dont believe all conflict should be eliminated or resolved, there are conflicts which I think require management instead).

One side of the equation believes this is about journalistic ethics and that is the issue at stake while the other believes it is sexism and male chauvinism, I'm not sure of the identity politics angle to be honest but I dont find it uncommon that there's always in groups and out groups formulated consciously or unconsciously in most disputes or discussions, formulated differently by each "side" too.

Its a very lousy discussion tactic or disputational tactic to resort to us-them thinking, dismissing the them altogether as a means of neutralising or invalidating any possible challenge they could make. Its basically I have no argument and I can not discuss this writ large.

Both aspects exist in the community. Many self called gamer journalists are unethical and many self called gamers are chauvinists. I can see both views being right.

People in my demographics are individuals.

People in that other demographic are a mass collectively defined and felt about through whatever I associate them with.

People in my demographics are individuals.

People in that other demographic are a mass collectively defined and felt about through whatever I associate them with.

Communities - or more correctly sub-cultures - are not the same things as demographics. Groups and sub-cultures can have tendencies towards harmful traditions, e.g. white nationalists, nazi punks, etc. etc.

Communities - or more correctly sub-cultures - are not the same things as demographics. Groups and sub-cultures can have tendencies towards harmful traditions, e.g. white nationalists, nazi punks, etc. etc.

The difference has nothing to do with what he's saying. You asserting that there is a difference only goes to prove his point.

He is being facetious with the message that people tend to label foreign groups with a broad stroke of generalism, and with the hypocrisy in believing their own group is unique.

vidya gamers confirmed as a semi-monolithic subculture in similar ways to groups that try to be Hitler incarnate are. I mean, surely across all the genres of games, specific game player bases and all the groups of people playing specific games, there is a rotten red thread with the stench of misogyny and troll murder threats that thrashes around and normalizes the idea that you should behave like a terrible person. Uhm, sorry, I mean, a terrible person against women. Almost made this not about gender war there for a moment. Oh and of course not the indie scene. That's a sacred place where noble good people create great cultural works that enlighten humanity.

Here's your typical video gamer's reaction to an article by someone who calls themselves a feminist social critic
51ce9aba78.gif

Meanwhile, your typical muslim looking down, realizing he is above a bunch of kuffr scum, and decides to be a based martyr http://coub.com/view/3gipe

Erm, muslim man*

In closing.
11ef49be0f.gif

I think we are seeing signs of a youth that has been bombarded with mindless sex and violence from a young age through films, games, internet, TV etc and who also see their government on the news in perpetual war where it is constantly dealing out death and misery around the world

This is desensitiisng people who are basically becoming insensitive to an unhealthy degree

This is very much what the psychopaths who run our society want....people not giving a fuck

The difference has nothing to do with what he's saying. You asserting that there is a difference only goes to prove his point.

He is being facetious with the message that people tend to label foreign groups with a broad stroke of generalism, and with the hypocrisy in believing their own group is unique.

Yes but I think in this case the generalization has some validity in that it is addressing real problems which do exist with the community. In fact I would argue some parts of it are incredibly toxic. That's not to say that all individuals within are bad but if we're going to take it too far the other way, we may as well also say that 4chan is family friendly.

Good start on the backtracking away from unwarranted generalization. Could go further, but this is a good step, at least.
I backtrack nothing. I still hate the community as a whole. That part hasn't changed.

[MENTION=5525]latte[/MENTION]
My biggest gripe is the tendency to make something out of nothing and the fact that they decry being marginalized like its some kind of fricking race or disability or social strata.

You're playing video games FFS. It's not even remotely comparable to jew persecution. And I'd argue it's insulting to make it out to be so and just makes me feel justified for hating.

But then why are you treating video game players like a proper subculture. Like a "people", of sorts. A community.

Persecute video gamers like jews, and they become the jews. You are making them the jews.

Please be a good goy and stop with your over-generalization based hatred. We are all human individuals here. You, me, mary, pete the dota player, katAn4ecchi the eroge & devil may cry player, megaz0rd the hazelnut munching low tier unreal tournament 3 player who considers using braces again at an age of 30 because he's insecure about his overbite and and a rogue lower teeth row tooth.

But then why are you treating video game players like a proper subculture. Like a "people", of sorts. A community.
I'm not. Video game player is not necessarily part of the gaming culture I speak of.

There is a culture. And there's sub-sets of the culture. Playing games does not mean one is part of the culture. But when you can say "noob tube" and somebody understands what you mean, that is a culture.

As a matter of fact the big thing I hate about gaming culture is its hatefulness. It is prevalent and everywhere. They'll hate you for playing Halo or Battlefield or Call of Duty or insert thing here. The indies rag on the CoD players who rag on the FIFA players who rag on the sim players who rag on the Minecrafters and all of them rag on the faggots and the jews.

Persecute video gamers like jews, and they become the jews. You are making them the jews.

Please be a good goy and stop with your over-generalization based hatred. We are all human individuals here. You, me, mary, pete the dota player, katAn4ecchi the eroge & devil may cry player, megaz0rd the hazelnut munching low tier unreal tournament 3 player who considers using braces again at an age of 30 because he's insecure about his overbite and and a rogue lower teeth row tooth.

Go play a pub or multiplayer anything and tell me how great it is.