from a biblical framework, why do christians... | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

from a biblical framework, why do christians...

... So I guess, I'll leave with two final questions: can anyone draw from Jesus' teachings and justify the Sensor-like bias that Christians have today, or is it something we've picked up erroneously? If not, do you think our interactions and discussions with people are more profitable when we begin by encouraging faith in Christ-like values and risk losing the opportunity to connect them to the historical person at a later time, or encouraging faith in the historical person and risk people connecting him with the wrong values?

The questions you ask are symptomatic of the shift in the last century away from the traditional method of interpreting the Sacred Scriptures towards the historical-critical method.

For a Scripture-based group - the Calvinists - who separated themselves from the Church as an act of rejection of tradition, it is inevitable that whatever popular wind blows in Biblical interpretation will very significantly alter their entire faith-base and spiritual outlook.

The distinction of "the historical Jesus" and "the Jesus of faith" is an artificial construct of German scripture scholars from last century.

For all Christians who follow the patristic traditions in the interpretation of the Sacred Scriptures (as well as doctrinal, liturgical and disciplinary traditions) Faith, devotion/prayer/worship, and study have an internal consistency which makes the distinctions you imply in your questions seem contrived and suffused with one central false doctrine: faith is predominantly subjective with little or no objectivity.

two final questions: can anyone draw from Jesus' teachings and justify the Sensor-like bias that Christians have today, or is it something we've picked up erroneously? If not, do you think our interactions and discussions with people are more profitable when we begin by encouraging faith in Christ-like values and risk losing the opportunity to connect them to the historical person at a later time, or encouraging faith in the historical person and risk people connecting him with the wrong values?

I personaly can't speak of this sensor bias, I've never encountered it, from where I'm standing it doesn't exist.

As for trying to teach Christian values first instead of teaching about Jesus himself. You can't live a life of Christian values without knowing who Jesus is, simply put it's not possible you can get some of it but not all of it.

Things like the golden rule and humility sure however, when Paul said Your attitude should be like that of Christ Jesus in Phillipians. You can't immitate Christ without knowing who he is, and surley you can't suffer without knowing Christ.

It was also Paul whom said the without the death, burrial and ressurection of Christ, we as Christians should be the most pittied men on earth.

Things like devotion and worship can't be done without knowledge of Christ.

Infact with out Jesus were just a bunch of miss lead Jews.

It was also Paul whom said the without the death, burrial and ressurection of Christ, we as Christians should be the most pittied men on earth.

oi! That is the sort of response/passage I was hoping to get... thanks. Looking it up at a quick glance now (it's past midnight, so I'm about to go to bed), that passage has lots of promising context discussing historical events. I have to look into it much more carefully (hopefully tomorrow) and read the surrounding chapters and all, but that looks like it might be exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited:
oi! That is the sort of response/passage I was hoping to get... thanks. Looking it up at a quick glance now (it's past midnight, so I'm about to go to bed), that passage has lots of promising context discussing historical events. I have to look into it much more carefully (hopefully tomorrow) and read the surrounding chapters and all, but that looks like it might be exactly what I was looking for.

It's founder 15 in 1st corinthians 15:12-19, try reading all of chapter 15 to get the context.