Friendly vs polite vs. nice: Are they the same? | INFJ Forum

Friendly vs polite vs. nice: Are they the same?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Being friendly is not really the same as being nice. But yet, but many consider them the same. And being nice is not always the same as being polite.

So, what's the dif?

Being friendly is showing honest positive affection for someone.

Being nice is either being dishonestly friendly, or being naive.

Being polite is adhering to social norms.

Reactions: Gaze
Being friendly is showing honest positive affection for someone.

Being nice is either being dishonestly friendly, or being naive.

Interesting, I would've reversed the definitions. I tend to see nice as a matter of true feeling or emotion, while friendly is an outshow of affection but not necessarily based on authentic feelings of interest.

Interesting, I would've reversed the definitions. I tend to see nice as a matter of true feeling or emotion, while friendly is an outshow of affection but not necessarily based on authentic feelings of interest.

When I think of being nice I think of a mother saying "Now play nice" because she is expected the children to play violently because they dont get along well. Or of the stereotypical Nice Guy.

Friendly evokes the sense of the word 'friendship' in my mind. I like friendship. I think of people responding more favorably to someone who has a friendly demeanor that to someone who is being nice because nice people are often hiding behind politness and have a secret agenda.

Jehovahs Witnesses and Mormons are nice, The people I go drinking with are friendly.

I am not nice. I have never been called nice.

I can be friendly.

I am normally polite.

I pretty much feel the same as [MENTION=731]uberrogo[/MENTION] on these definitions.

I think depending on how you define the two, friendly and nice can basically be the same thing. Although I tend to agree with his definition of that here also. The impression I usually get from "nice" is that in a lot of cases it's more of an obligation or an act than completely genuine. But I think the word has been ruined for me, similarly because of what he mentioned, such as "nice guys" and being told to "play nice". In that way, someone being "nice" may be someone who has an alternate agenda, whereas someone being friendly is more genuine in their intentions.

Also basically agree with what he said about politeness being an adherence to social/cultural norms. What is considered polite will change somewhat depending where in the world you are.

All that said, I'm a pretty cynical person, so that might have a lot to do with how I feel about this.

Reactions: JGirl, the and Gaze
Nice comes from the Latin nescius and has for the majority of its history meant ignorant or trifling.

Polite comes from the Latin politus meaning polished.

Friendly comes from the Old English freond, which means loving [one].

Nice comes from the Latin nescius and has for the majority of its history meant ignorant or trifling.

Polite comes from the Latin politus meaning polished.

Friendly comes from the Old English freond, which means loving [one].

Interesting. I agree mostly with [MENTION=731]uberrogo[/MENTION] on these definitions (and it quite annoys me when people mistake polite for friendly or the other way round). I also use 'gentle' as a term for something between 'polite' and 'friendly' (as in being a bit nicer than expected, but not necessarily asking one to 'come closer').

I'm usually nice (I don't go out of my way to cause anyone distress.)
I'm sometimes polite (Manners weren't a big part of my upbringing, and so I often forget to say thank you, or please, though I think I show my gratitude other ways.)
I'm not really friendly unless I'm comfortable around you.

When I see someone describe themselves as nice, I am wary. It seems that most people who describe themselves as nice mean that they will tell you what they think you want to hear.

Friendly to me means more likely to encourage positive interactions.

Polite adhering to social norms, yeah.

I've tried to stop myself I don't know how many times from posting this and I just can't do it.

Gotta have a jerk moment.

OP = "Being friendly is not really the same as being nice. But yet, but many consider them the same. And being nice is not always the same as being polite.

So, what's the dif?"

"I am this, I am that, I am not this."

What odd responses. I can't help but feel the point was missed here.

Ok carry on..... .:hides under jerk rock:.

I've tried to stop myself I don't know how many times from posting this and I just can't do it.

OP = "Being friendly is not really the same as being nice. But yet, but many consider them the same. And being nice is not always the same as being polite.

So, what's the dif?"

Why don't you clarify the point for us oh sage.

Being friendly is not really the same as being nice. But yet, but many consider them the same. And being nice is not always the same as being polite.

So, what's the dif?

being friendly is acting in a pleasant and upbeat way toward others. there is such a thing as a nice day, nice house, nice sweater etc, but nice people? i dunno
as for polite, well that's just following the rules of 'proper interaction'.

So, what's the dif?"

Not nice at all.

I understand the point of the OP fine. However my response was based on the idea that I can only answer that question for myself. The concepts are subjective. I can only speak toward my own actions in general and my opinion of how I perceive others will be subjective as well.

Edit: And too a greater or lesser degree, situational and changeable upon further interactions with others.

I know I know, I get annoyed by the most retarded things sometimes. -_-

I feel the need to add now that [MENTION=5145]AKM[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3096]Stormy1[/MENTION], I still absolutely adore both of you! I hope you won't take me too personally... D:

I feel the need to add now that @AKM and @Stormy1 , I still absolutely adore both of you! I hope you won't take me too personally... D:

Calm your Feeler Panic, I was teasing you.
I'm not upset. How could I be? No need to stress over this sweetie, you have enough going on.

shoot....
darn....
okay...*hugs*