Flirting and Gender Roles... clarified and redefined | INFJ Forum

Flirting and Gender Roles... clarified and redefined

soulseeker

Permanent Fixture
Dec 19, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Hi :) I'm writing a concept paper about flirting and gender roles. We are actually supposed to include an analysis of the political, social, and/or cultural factors that have served to construct/define that concept and as of now, I still don't know where to start.

My basic idea of flirting is sort of like "teasing" a person, just playing and having fun.

So since most of you are from different parts of the world, I just wanted to ask what is flirting in your country or your culture and the gender roles in flirting.

Thank you :)

Well. First of all, I am not an expert:) I can see flirting if I am not emotionally involve. If I am, I don't see it, or I see it in everything:D
Yes, I supoose it is some kind of teasing, jokes and gigling.

It's a means to an end. I get why it's fun for some people, but it's never been that for me.

This gave me something to think about :) I cant say that "teasing" would work on me though. I come from a quite conservative culture and only seen flirting in a form of teasing in school and Im finding it quite immature:) It also depends a lot if you know the person or is the person a stranger... I myself usually just send a little clue out, like letting him catch me looking at him, smile a bit and turn my eyes away. Repeat several times :) I cant say I've done it a lot, not in the last 7-8 years at least, just dont come across anyone worthy of me putting myself out there :) And men tend to skip the flirting bit and go straight to business :)

I think flirting amplifies gender roles? Or perhaps amplifies gender role expectations?
I'm not sure.
I abhor gender roles.

political, social, and/or cultural factors that have served to construct/define that concept

As far as the USA is concerned:

Political Factor makes me ask myself "when has flirting been taken too far?" You can look at laws regarding sexual harassment. It may be seen as innocent to the receiver at first, but it could be a predecessor or "grooming" to sexual harassment later or even sexual offenses such as rape, molestation, etc. The antagonist can be a male or a female in this case, and there is probably statistical data on the internet.

Social Factor. I feel that "anything goes" in the present time. There is not much I have not heard of or been exposed to that makes my draw drop. I don't think one gender flirts more than another. Every individual does it their own way, it's a matter of how it is perceived. I think men and women can be equally shy and equally aggressive.

Cultural Factor: This one is tough, b/c USAmerican culture is not homogenous. We certainly have things/issues that define our culture, but flirting would not be one of them. Since there are many cultures living within the USA, each might have their own social mores. When I think of culture being introduced, I think of a family's acceptance or perception between two individuals. What has my culture or family done to shape my perception of flirting and who I can flirt with? I don't think it matters the content of "flirting" itself, but more of WHO you are flirting with (standards of education, affluence, religious practice, ethic, honesty and character, etc are all important pieces of the puzzle.)

At any rate, idk if I was on topic or WAY OFF ... but these would be things I would research if I were to be writing a paper on the same topic. (Fortunately I was great at writing APA papers.) :D