Fi, Fe & relationships | INFJ Forum

Fi, Fe & relationships

TinyBubbles

anarchist
Oct 27, 2009
MBTI
^.^
Enneagram
how do these two functions differ in terms of how a person relates to others? i know some people on here are MBTI experts and i'd love to get their input on this.

eg. if someone is being disrespectful to a member of your family, saying crude and vulgar things about them, how would a person react to this using Fi vs Fe?

another eg. if you're in a group of people who are all loud, boisterous party goers who love to hug and kiss each other randomly, would Fi cause you to empathize with them? would Fe compel you to become like them, even if you aren't naturally like that? just trying to understand the differences between these two functions.

Last edited:
hmmm... not so sure, but...

eg. if someone is being disrespectful to a member of your family, saying crude and vulgar things about them, how would a person react to this using Fi vs Fe?
Fi (Assuming one looks up to their family and respects them) : "HOW DARE THEY SAID THAT?"
Fe (assuming the same): "why the heck did they say that?"

another eg. if you're in a group of people who are all loud, boisterous party goers who love to hug and kiss each other randomly, would Fi cause you to empathize with them? would Fe compel you to become like them, even if you aren't naturally like that? just trying to understand the differences between these two functions.
Fi : 'uuh, this isn't going to be good (because I'm not comfortable with it).' *follows / refuses awkwardly*
Fe : 'patience, it's going to over soon (because I'm not comfortable with it)."follows / refuses awkwardly*

Reactions: TinyBubbles
In the party scenario, I think Fi would step back for a moment and evaluate if these people's behaviors were in accordance of how the Fi person conducts themselves--if they were being sincere or not..

If the Fi user is an extrovert and very affectionate and expressive and found the hugging and kissing to be sincere, then they might feel they fit in with that crowd.

If not, then they would stand by and not partake in the hugging and all that and probably not talk to many people.

Basically, Fi evaluates whether what's going on fits into their standards.

Fe seems like it would be more concerned with adapting their feeling to the situation.

This is how I see it.

Fi would be more inclined to attempt to put themselves in shoes of the rude person, why would they say that? what is motivating them? is what they're saying really disrespectful or is there a misunderstanding here? Fi would be more inclined to encourage family members to ignore the rude person, focusing on what to the Fi user is easier to control (your own internal reactions) rather than trying to change external conditions (the rude persons attitude/behaviour).

Fe would know right away that the person is being disrespectful because disrespectful actions are (to them) objective, motivation doesn't matter so much because saying rude and vulgar things is inherently disrespectful. Fe would look to protect the group and encourage the family to attack or cast out the rude person.

Fe would be more inclined to match the general mood of the group, even if it means acting unnatural in order to maintain group harmony. In fact I think it would be hard for the Fe user not to get swept away in the emotion. Fe is more inclined to expect others to accommodate the needs/tone of the group.

Jung on the Extraverted Feeler: "Her feelings correspond with objective situations and general values."

Fi will feel strongly one way or another, if they are not in the mood they will have little concern about hanging back and remaining reserved, even if it means they'll be a "buzz killer" and possibly knock the tone of group feeling down a peg or two. Fi is more inclined to feel that the group should do it's utmost to accommodate differences in individuals.

Jung on Fi: "Continually emancipating itself from the relation to the object, this feeling creates a freedom, both of action and of conscience, that is only answerable to the subject, and that may even renounce all traditional values."

Of course the effects of Si/Ni and Se/Ne will modify these things to an extent.

Last edited:
This is how I see it.

Fi would be more inclined to attempt to put themselves in shoes of the rude person, why would they say that? what is motivating them? is what they're saying really disrespectful or is there a misunderstanding here? Fi would be more inclined to encourage family members to ignore the rude person, focusing on what to the Fi user is easier to control (your own internal reactions) rather than trying to change external conditions (the rude persons attitude/behaviour).

Fe would know right away that the person is being disrespectful because disrespectful actions are (to them) objective, motivation doesn't matter so much because saying rude and vulgar things is inherently disrespectful. Fe would look to protect the group and encourage the family to attack or cast out the rude person.

this!

about the party this:

acd said:
In the party scenario, I think Fi would step back for a moment and evaluate if these people's behaviors were in accordance of how the Fi person conducts themselves--if they were being sincere or not..

If the Fi user is an extrovert and very affectionate and expressive and found the hugging and kissing to be sincere, then they might feel they fit in with that crowd.

If not, then they would stand by and not partake in the hugging and all that and probably not talk to many people.

Basically, Fi evaluates whether what's going on fits into their standards.

If I like the people and feel that the huging is sincere and that they want to include me, I would be glad to join them!