Fi, Fe, and Supporting

Trifoilum

find wisdom, build hope.
Dec 27, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
While there is a general assumption that Fi is more self-focused, and Fe is more others-focused (and all the fortunate/unfortunate insinuations), both is and can be supportive to both oneself and other people.

Within one particular context of supporting/helping, what would be the difference, I wonder? Methods? Reasoning? Direction? Anything?

I would also say reading this thread would be wonderful before answering. :p

And as another corollary; what about other Judging functions; Ti and Te?

Reactions: barbad0s
Fi is self-focussed in the sense of having more well-defined values that apply to the self as a moral compass. Ti is the same, except replace values with principles.

Fi and Fe actually affect both the self and others. It is not the conclusion or end-result that distinguishes one from the other, but the process in how the conclusion is reached. For example, when Fi is outwardly focussed, it is usually due to a personal moral value of helping others. Fe on the other hand, will help others because others want or need the help (regardless of whether or not others actually ask for the help) and Fe wants to fulfill that need. Fi can be selfish in the sense of defining the self from within. Fe can be selfish in defining the self from without. For example, an Fi person might go out and buy a nice sportscar, because he/she really likes fast sports cars. The Fe person may also really like fast sports cars, but a lot of weight in choosing a specific sports car, may come from how he/she thinks others might like his/her choice.

Ti and Te can also reach the same conclusions, but will use different processes. Ti person may want to help others because it is an internal guiding principle. Te may also have a guiding principle to want to help others, but is often out of convenience and if the required work is somewhat minimal. IE if I do this work for my boss right away, he will leave me alone for the rest of the week.

An INFP friend I have values optimism and tries to be positive to feel good. An INTJ friend I have uses optimism as a logical principle. She sees the logical sense and benefit of being positive, so strives to be positive.

I also posit that Fi and Ti is the process used for defining one's self. INFJs may often feel less well defined from within because Ti is a lesser shadow process. They seem to know themselves better amongst others and feel lost when by themselves. It does not mean that an INTP or INFP never feel lost or that they are fully defined, it's just that they have taken more time to define their values and principles than others.

For example, an Fi person might go out and buy a nice sportscar, because he/she really likes fast sports cars. The Fe person may also really like fast sports cars, but a lot of weight in choosing a specific sports car, may come from how he/she thinks others might like his/her choice.

I'm not sure if that's a good way to put it, since I don't buy that an INFJ will even normally care about what others think of the choice. There's too much Ni for me to think that what others think would be that weighty of a consideration. Fi seems to be more like conceptualizing values very well, while Fe is much more concrete about values. If you lean too far abstract, you might overlook values that are quite clearly in front of you, which includes people. If you are too concrete and don't conceptualize enough, it may be easy to be a wallflower and let what others think of you guide your value choices.

I'm not sure if that's a good way to put it, since I don't buy that an INFJ will even normally care about what others think of the choice. There's too much Ni for me to think that what others think would be that weighty of a consideration. Fi seems to be more like conceptualizing values very well, while Fe is much more concrete about values. If you lean too far abstract, you might overlook values that are quite clearly in front of you, which includes people. If you are too concrete and don't conceptualize enough, it may be easy to be a wallflower and let what others think of you guide your value choices.

Hence I use the words 'may' and 'might'. They are examples. Not everyone will behave exactly the same way. However, the underlying logic is still sound. This is based on observations of ESFJs, INFJs, & ISFJs vs INFPs, ISFPs, and ENFPs. Fi is subject-oriented and prioritizes from within. Fe is object-oriented and prioritizes from without. Also, I am confused by your rationalization of Ni being used as a judging function. Ni is a perceiving function. It is how you understand the world, not prioritize it.

Note: I apologize if that comes off as dickish. I don't mean it that way.

Last edited: