[PAX] - Faith Communities...How's That Working?. | INFJ Forum

[PAX] Faith Communities...How's That Working?.

randomsomeone

Apr 26, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
This is a question for those who do participate in faith communities, churches, or other groups where faith and/or religion draw people together. How to you make it work for you as a person, as an individual? What personal tools and understandings help you prosper or grow here...or is it occasionally more about survival?

We all know the complexities of such groups...hypocrisies, scandal, woundedness. That seems to always be floating about somewhere (unfortunately). Yet, I think there is something else at work that somehow make these communities worthwhile, at least for some of us.

I was musing over this myself because my own community has a heirarchy, and canons, and rubrics....and (sadly) recent scandals aplenty. Headlines say this and that. Yet so many, including myself, choose to remain and find much richness here. It had me thinking that for me, the real substance of a community isn't necessarily in the external trappings and codes (which do have their rightful place). What is more telling is how a community prays. Listening to those words yields much more insight into the core reasons of why people are there. Maybe it captures the aspirations of each individual and those, in turn reflect those of the community.

Another thought: theological doctrines and pastoral practise. In my church it is easy to focus on doctrine and various statements of faith. They are one reality and again, these have their rightful place. But I have also seen first hand the pastoral care of those in need, in grief, in dysfunction, and the very real, understanding of a humanity that binds us all together. We all have our disconnects, don't we? Real-life pastoral care often goes unseen, but I observe it at work all the time and have been the recipient of it myself. It is a wonderful thing.

A final thought for now: in my own faith community we have local churches scattered here and there, and the reality in each place may vary widely. Some find their experience to be very dry or boring, some don't. Seems fair....I find this sometimes, too. But I have also learned to see and live with a broader continuum of experience beyond my local reality and this has made a huge difference. I do not rely solely on the talents of the hard-working local pastor (at least where I live)...but also on a long line of faithful over time and in places not so close to home. I find this more entire reality very enriching and grounding.

Oh well, my random musings. How do you live in faith community? What makes it work for you? What sort of things do you draw on that fan the flames of your own personal inspiration? Just wondering.

How do you live in faith community? What makes it work for you? What sort of things do you draw on that fan the flames of your own personal inspiration? Just wondering.

I think the key is to engage not with ideals, but with people. People are fallible as well as loving. They can be trying and disappointing, but they can also be the support that keeps one afloat when the seas of life threaten to drown.

When I first joined my past church community our pastor strongly recommended becoming active in something within the church. Sure, it's a way to get help for the work the church does, but I think he also understood very well the deeper human needs that can be met by becoming involved in social community. When you are involved with people, you become personally engaged. When personally engaged, we are close enough to see people more fully. In that sight, we see their weakness and their strength. We understand motivations more clearly and it becomes harder to judge and punish abstractly. We are more likely to treat others with the compassion we would wish for from others...because we see ourselves in other.

When we are distant, everything becomes distorted, I think. We still see ourselves in other, but I think we are so much more likely to project what we can't accept on to others and hate them for what we can't accept within ourselves. Distance from the rest of humanity offers a convenient way to distance from unwanted parts of self. Being in closer connection with community forces us to face ourselves. In that forced closeness it facilitates our acceptance of both the beautiful and ugly within ourselves and others.

When personally engaged, we are close enough to see people more fully.
This is a wonderful insight!!! So often we see these groups refrected through one prism or two. This kind of action would provides a view from a whole other level!!

Also, thanks for sharing...I thought this might turn into a blog (it still might)!! :)

I was out driving around today and happened to catch a live service on the radio of another church. I'm not sure the denomination, but they were reciting one of the creeds. It did my heart good to hear this recitation, the same creed we use in my own community....and it is probably over 1,800 years old. There aren't many things in this world that continue for that long. Even moreso that such things can be just as impactful now, since each person lives these things out in their own time, in their own way, in their own circumstances.

I recently read a book based on a true story and it made me realize all the wonderful things that I am missing out from going to church. Not just spiritually but connecting with other people and making use of myself and also gaining support and the wonderful power of prayer.

Reactions: Lucidmoon
I look at each person as a cell in the body of Christ. Some are thriving, some diseased, some in repair by the body's natural mechanisms. I move through all three at some point so I work hard to embrace my brothers and sisters in the faith regardless of their state though I measure my approach to them accordingly.

I almost get too much out of my faith community to properly explain it but I think describing the big picture view I have it of should give you some insight.

I'm not too connected within my local congragation....I really don't know anybody there. I attend the Liturgy, but then people peel off pretty quickly after that. Haven't found a workable way to get more involved either. For me holding onto the greater, more global reality has made a big difference. I have had lots and lots of experience with this larger world so it isn't too hard to access. I know many people who have less direct experience with this and get turned off by the local reality, and I totally get where they're coming from.