Enneagram 9w1

roxtehproxy

Community Member
Jul 23, 2011
MBTI
INTJ
Enneagram
?-sx3w4-?
Does anyone here think the 1 wing may be apart of having somewhat strict parents, and relative use of Fi?

Any other 9w1 INxJs?

Hmm, I don't think Fi has too much to do with it, but the first factor is a possibility; I had/have pretty strict parents.

I think the "1" Wing stems from striving to meet our own standards, wanting to make our dreams/visions a reality, and that part of our inner peace is dependent on it.

I don't have strict parents. :T Quite the opposite, really.

In my experience, 9w1 is the most common Enneagram type for INFJs to self identify as.

I think the 1 wing is simply the NF idealism and the J need for structure manifesting themselves on top of the 9 motivations.

Personally, I think that most INFJ 9w1's are actually just 9's with no wing (as people with wings are the exception rather than the norm), and the NF and J perspective overlay causes these individuals to identify more with the 9w1 template than not. A true 9w1 is not nearly as 'dreamy' and affable as most of the INFJs who claim to be 9w1's - but I think a lot of the reason for this is that INFJs like to over clarify themselves and probably assume they they should (or even that everyone should) have a wing in their Enneagram.

That said, 9w1 INFJs are quite awesome!

(And so are the balanced 9 INFJs!)

In my experience, 9w1 is the most common Enneagram type for INFJs to self identify as.

I think the 1 wing is simply the NF idealism and the J need for structure manifesting themselves on top of the 9 motivations.

Personally, I think that most INFJ 9w1's are actually just 9's with no wing (as people with wings are the exception rather than the norm), and the NF and J perspective overlay causes these individuals to identify more with the 9w1 template than not. A true 9w1 is not nearly as 'dreamy' and affable as most of the INFJs who claim to be 9w1's - but I think a lot of the reason for this is that INFJs like to over clarify themselves and probably assume they they should (or even that everyone should) have a wing in their Enneagram.

That said, 9w1 INFJs are quite awesome!

(And so are the balanced 9 INFJs!)

I completely understand, what you seem to mean is that 9w1 could really just be factored as 9. If an INFJ isnt ambitious, then what is he/she? xD

I completely understand, what you seem to mean is that 9w1 could really just be factored as 9. If an INFJ isnt ambitious, then what is he/she? xD

I'm not saying there are no INFJ 9w1's. I'm simply saying that I think a lot of INFJs who think they are 9w1's are likely balanced 9's without a wing.

9's can be ambitious in their own way, but generally the ambition comes from needing to make things right (1 wing) or inner drive (8 wing). A true 9 has a primary motivation for peace, harmony, and acceptance which often manifests as inaction. But, sometimes 9's can be very ambitious when peace, harmony, and acceptance are threatened. They are more likely to dig in their heels and insist on inaction as a solution, but it takes drive to do that. If inaction won't create peace, harmony, and acceptance then the 9 can become very diligent in pursuit of what will create these things. For example, if a 9 saw that earning a ph.D would create a life filled with harmony and most importantly acceptance, they could very easily assert themselves to that cause - though making as few waves as possible in the process. The end result is not a lack of ambition on the part of the balanced 9, but the need for peace, harmony, and acceptance. It can look like a lack of ambition or drive, but it's simply a lack of pushiness, boldness, or intensity - traits commonly associated with people who have ambition and drive.

9s with a 1 wing are a hybrid of the motivation for peace, harmony, acceptance and the motivation for things to be good, corrected, and right. These 9's can't feel peace, harmony, and acceptance if things are not also good, correct, and right. This combination creates a lot more drive and boldness than in the balanced 9. 9w1's are the 9's who will quietly work a ton of overtime, asking nothing in return, other than needing things to be done right. While balanced 9 can achieve peace, harmony, and acceptance internally, the 9 with a 1 wing needs their environment (which includes relationships) to match up.

9s with an 8 wing on the other hand are a hybrid of the motivation for peace, harmony, acceptance and the motivation for a lack of vulnerability, weakness, or to be controlled. This creates a 9 that can't feel peace, harmony, and acceptance without a sense of control over themselves and their environment - and therefore makes them more pushy and intense than the balanced 9. "I am harmonious and accepted because I am strong enough to require no one's help, nor am I affected by the actions of others. My serenity is stronger than the chaos around me."

Reactions: Free Mind
Your wing is the "second side" of your personality, and it must be taken into consideration to better understand yourself or someone else. For example, if you are a personality type Nine, you will have likely have either a One-wing or an Eight-wing, and your personality as a whole can best be understood by considering the traits of the Nine as they uniquely blend with the traits of either the One or the Eight.

Also (from same page):
Ones attempt to control or repress their anger and instinctual energy. They feel that they must stay in control of themselves, especially of their instinctual impulses and angry feelings at all times. They would like to direct these energies according to the dictates of their highly developed inner critic (superego), the source of their strictures on themselves and others.

vs.

In the Instinctive Center, Eights act out their anger and instinctual energies. In other words, when Eights feel anger building in them, they immediately respond to it in some physical way, raising their voices, moving more forcefully. Others can clearly see that Eights are angry because they give themselves permission to express their anger physically.

I can see this... I do not like/can't/don't want to express anger around others. Even around those who know me best, I tend to FIRST transmute the anger into "upsetness" and internalize it that way before expressing anything (if at all).

Neither do I. And just for that reason, I'm most likely 9w1. I don't know if this has any correlation, but I do sometimes express anger like an Eight, but I think it's actually apart of that 1 side, when 'the lid of the pot' we sit on, holding down all dem bad voodoo, falls off. Probably 9w1 and not just 9.

This is quite insightful. Cheers for all the input!

I think a lot of the reason for this is that INFJs like to over clarify themselves and probably assume they they should (or even that everyone should) have a wing in their Enneagram.

Well damnit.

/takes away the w1 again

I think typing yourself as a 9-1 is rather problematic unless you take the official test for it. Since the 9-1 is considered the "ideal" level, an INFJ in a good mood might think, "Hey, that's exactly me!" but the type is supposed to represent an overall average, more than just a momentary feeling.

*Boldly and proudly proclaims the w1*

I'm not so balanced and I know it. But you know what, there's something else: A 9w1 can behave a lot like a nervous 6 if they aren't doing those things that need doing. They *know* they have something to do, and it's causing them anxiety because they aren't finishing it. So the longer they go without doing what they need to do to maintain their peace and harmony the more worked up they get, and the more 6-ish they can become.

Just another two cents. :)

I'm not so balanced and I know it. But you know what, there's something else: A 9w1 can behave a lot like a nervous 6 if they aren't doing those things that need doing. They *know* they have something to do, and it's causing them anxiety because they aren't finishing it. So the longer they go without doing what they need to do to maintain their peace and harmony the more worked up they get, and the more 6-ish they can become.

That sounds like me. :T

I'm not so balanced and I know it.

Yep! No one has to tell me this....I just know. I put my internal certainly at a good 99% for my enneagram type.

Well damnit.

/takes away the w1 again

What I said doesn't mean you're not a 9w1. Just because it's less common for someone to have a wing does not mean that people don't have a wing. I certainly do.

I think a lot of people assume they should have a wing, or that everyone should have a wing. That's not how wings work. They're an adaptive addition.

If I had to make a guesstimation, I'd say half of the population are balanced types, and half of the remaining population splits into wings. Some types have one wing more common than the other. 9w1 is more common than 9w8 as the 1 wing can work with the 9 energy and is in a direction of growth and maturation for 9. 9w8 is less common as 8 energy is rather antagonistic to 9, and is in a direction of regression.

(Also, I strongly suspect at times that I was a 9w1 ENFJ who has regressed so far that I went through 9w8 and eventually got to the point of 8w9 and deep enough into Ni and Ti that I switched types. But, as Lerxst pointed out, I could simply be looking at the descriptions of ENFJ and 9w1 and seeing my ideal self and assuming that is who I actually was / am. Foerer Effect being what it is would make that not such a bad thing... other than to inventory personal growth needs.)

Last edited:
[MENTION=708]VH[/MENTION]

Yea but I added the 1 cuz I spent a lot of time trying to figure out whether I was a w8 or w1 and w1 seemed more likely. I don't know if I have a wing, I am more 2,4,5 than 1 or 8. All I know for sure is I'm 9.

@VH

Yea but I added the 1 cuz I spent a lot of time trying to figure out whether I was a w8 or w1 and w1 seemed more likely. I don't know if I have a wing, I am more 2,4,5 than 1 or 8. All I know for sure is I'm 9.

/nod

Sounds like your triad / tritype is 9 - 5 - 4 (or 9 - 4 - 5) then. If it were 9 - 5 - 2, then you would have a strong lean toward 8 as 5 and 2 tie to 8. With 5 and 4, you'd have a roughly even pull to 1 and 8, and a decent connection to 2 since 4 ties to 2 and 9 has a lot of similarities with 2.

Edited to add: 9 combined with 4 and 5 would be an extremely balanced Enneagram type. I can see that for you.

Reactions: Wyote
Well damnit.

/takes away the w1 again

LOL.

I immediately thought of you @Wyote when I read what VH had to say about the "9 vs the 1 wing" aspect. You don't need the 1wing. But I do! :w:

Thanks @VH and @Relm for the explanations.

Oops. forgot... I did have restrictive parents.

+1

I am definitely this way

Reactions: Free Mind