Drug Bust at Columbia University | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Drug Bust at Columbia University

Isn't that kind of unfair, however?

No.

And I don't know why you'd not agree that it's a crime. If it's illegal, then it is. If you don't agree that it should be a crime, then it's just tough.

I'm sure there are some who think paedophilia shouldn't be a crime, good thing they don't have a choice in the matter.

Reactions: Siamese cat
This is what I meant.

I dislike institution. (I sound like a hippie.)

Well I'm in the camp that thinks all drugs should be legal to use (although selling should be licenced). That doesn't mean that I can choose to ignore the illegality of doing so. If I wanted to sell pot, I should be fully aware of the consequences if I get caught and if I do so, whether it was for my ideals or not, I'd still be an idiot.

Well I'm in the camp that thinks all drugs should be legal to use (although selling should be licenced). That doesn't mean that I can choose to ignore the illegality of doing so. If I wanted to sell pot, I should be fully aware of the consequences if I get caught and if I do so, whether it was for my ideals or not, I'd still be an idiot.

Of course. I think what I said is being slightly misinterpreted.

I meant to say, if I don't agree with the institution, I should have the right to fight against it.

Crime is crime, but the definition is variable depending upon the people whom these laws are being imposed on. But for example, if I don't agree drugs should be illegal, then I should have some way to petition my right for it.

However, I would follow my ideals if the end result was limited to my body and my self, and expect complete freedom as long as the illegal activities don't involve other people, e.g. pedophilia, murder, selling pot as opposed to doing pot, etc.

Of course. I think what I said is being slightly misinterpreted.

I meant to say, if I don't agree with the institution, I should have the right to fight against it.

What I'm trying to say is that if you want to protest against a law, breaking it isn't the way to do so. You do have the right to protest, that's what free speech laws are for.

What I'm trying to say is that if you want to protest against a law, breaking it isn't the way to do so. You do have the right to protest, that's what free speech laws are for.

I understood what you meant.

I'm not passing judgment on what's objectively right and wrong, I'm merely saying what I think is right or wrong for me. It's stupid, I realize this already, because breaking the law gets you into prison and I understand that. But I can't let someone else decide what I can or cannot do with my life. I think a lot of other people feel this as well, but cannot articulate it because it uproots the basis of what "the system" stands for. There needs to be a criteria for acceptable and unacceptable for a civilization to function properly, however, IMO, law enforcement is not the way.

What you're saying stands correct with regard to the current system - I'm saying the current system sucks, let's build a new one!

:]

(I'm well aware of the impracticality of the above statements. No need to point it out to me, I'm just thinking out loud.)