Drop everything! Where would you travel today? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Drop everything! Where would you travel today?

I'd like to go to Amsterdam for... diplomatic reasons.

giphy.gif

Fuck flying. If I can't drive I'm not going.

But $10,000 I'll go to LA, then Tucson.

On the way, I'll stop in Bakersfield and pick up a used carhauler. I've been wanting one for a while.

Stop in LA, help the bro move out of state

Go to the Copart lot in Tucson. Buy a cheap wrecked 4X4, fix it up and keep it at my bros house out there and head into Mexico freely without having to worry about my daily getting stolen

My truck needs;
New battery and + terminal $150
Front windshield $150
New oil pan, gasket, oil change $200
Need to change my front end oil and t case fluid. Free, I got the fluids already

So that's $500 in work on my truck

Used carhauler in good shape $2,000

Gas from Midpines to Tucson and back
$500

Hotel room in Bakersfield $150 for an actual, good room not on hooker row

Food $300 eating out for a week

Salvage hooptie pile of shit $500
Cheap junkyard truck parts $1,050

That's $5,000

I'll pay off what little debt i owe with the rest. Maybe put a bigger lift kit on my Titan

Last edited:
Norway, Cusco, Santorini, Turkey, and finally to a secluded island in the Philippines, where i'll jet from island to rice paddy and retire. I love life.

:mclap:

Meds are working. Tee hee.

Edit: oh there's a 10,000 dollar cap. Scratch. Islands are fine.

Three people would go to Antarctica/McMurdo Station. What is the fascination with traveling there?

It's beautiful, harsh, isolated, and there are no non-essential jobs down there. Everything that everyone does is vital to the community, whether you're a researcher, a cook, or a janitor. Nothing about getting down there or staying down there seems conducive to laziness, superficiality, stupidity, selfishness or greed, i.e. you'll probably be around a lot of cool people.

Fuck flying. If I can't drive I'm not going.

But $10,000 I'll go to LA, then Tucson.

On the way, I'll stop in Bakersfield and pick up a used carhauler. I've been wanting one for a while.

Stop in LA, help the bro move out of state

Go to the Copart lot in Tucson. Buy a cheap wrecked 4X4, fix it up and keep it at my bros house out there and head into Mexico freely without having to worry about my daily getting stolen

My truck needs;
New battery and + terminal $150
Front windshield $150
New oil pan, gasket, oil change $200
Need to change my front end oil and t case fluid. Free, I got the fluids already

So that's $500 in work on my truck

Used carhauler in good shape $2,000

Gas from Midpines to Tucson and back
$500

Hotel room in Bakersfield $150 for an actual, good room not on hooker row

Food $300 eating out for a week

Salvage hooptie pile of shit $500
Cheap junkyard truck parts $1,050

That's $5,000

I'll pay off what little debt i owe with the rest. Maybe put a bigger lift kit on my Titan

Now that's a man with a plan. I love it. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Gaze and John K
It's beautiful, harsh, isolated, and there are no non-essential jobs down there. Everything that everyone does is vital to the community, whether you're a researcher, a cook, or a janitor. Nothing about getting down there or staying down there seems conducive to laziness, superficiality, stupidity, selfishness or greed, i.e. you'll probably be around a lot of cool people.

That was my impression from watching TV programs on Discover and Science channels. But would you stay over the wintertime? I saw a program once about what happens during the winter. Only a skeleton crew of a couple dozen people. No one can usually leave because of bad storms and extreme cold. Everyone getting on everyone else’s nerves and going kind of nuts because they're inside with the same people for 6 month straight and no escape.

Reactions: Gaze and John K
That was my impression from watching TV programs on Discover and Science channels. But would you stay over the wintertime? I saw a program once about what happens during the winter. Only a skeleton crew of a couple dozen people. No one can usually leave because of bad storms and extreme cold. Everyone getting on everyone else’s nerves and going kind of nuts because they're inside with the same people for 6 month straight and no escape.
It would depend on your personality. I can't say how I'd handle it, but I'd definitely be down to give it a try.

Where would you travel?

I'd book a cruise on a nostaligia trip. It's nearly 50 years since I worked for the British Antarctic Survey and I'd like to go back - Montevideo in Uruguay, Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands, King Edward Point in South Georia (I spent 16 months based there in 1971/3), Signy Island, the Antarctic Peninsular. The Peninsular must be one of the most beautiful places on God's earth and we sailed up the Le Maire channel on one of the rare days of sunshine down there which was a gift beyond price. This is one on the photos I took.

00980 Antarctic Peninsular.jpg

But would you stay over the wintertime? I saw a program once about what happens during the winter. Only a skeleton crew of a couple dozen people. No one can usually leave because of bad storms and extreme cold. Everyone getting on everyone else’s nerves and going kind of nuts because they're inside with the same people for 6 month straight and no escape.

This can be a big issue. The people who wintered on South Georgia the year before me fell out with each other and had an awful time. My winter down there was the exact opposite and it was an amazing experience to be completely on our own for months, 22 of us, with no outside contact except by radio. It very much depends on the character of the base commander how well the over-wintering evolves - they appointed a pillock the year before me, and paid the price . My year we had an excellent base commander who made sure the rough spirits amongst us had plenty of good things to do as a team and it worked a charm. There is no way you could be got out of there easily in winter, at least in those days. One of our guys had a very bad ski-ing accident and shattered both bones in his lower leg. He had to be treated on base by our doctor (our base was large enough to have one) and was laid up for months - the rest of us had to muck in and do his job for him. He ended up with one leg an inch shorter than the other.

I was an INFJ amongst the ISTPs and INTPs and it could have worked out badly for me, but we are very good chameleons and I got by just fine. I cannot begin to tell you what it is like to be on your own in a complete wilderness in such dangerous beauty. Like on a cruise though, the biggest problems are the people you are thrown together with. The isolation and the need for self-reliance is just fantastic. When I came home after 19 months away it was like returning from a real world to an artificial one.

I'd book a cruise on a nostaligia trip. It's nearly 50 years since I worked for the British Antarctic Survey and I'd like to go back - Montevideo in Uruguay, Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands, King Edward Point in South Georia (I spent 16 months based there in 1971/3), Signy Island, the Antarctic Peninsular. The Peninsular must be one of the most beautiful places on God's earth and we sailed up the Le Maire channel on one of the rare days of sunshine down there which was a gift beyond price. This is one on the photos I took.

View attachment 55642

This can be a big issue. The people who wintered on South Georgia the year before me fell out with each other and had an awful time. My winter down there was the exact opposite and it was an amazing experience to be completely on our own for months, 22 of us, with no outside contact except by radio. It very much depends on the character of the base commander how well the over-wintering evolves - they appointed a pillock the year before me, and paid the price . My year we had an excellent base commander who made sure the rough spirits amongst us had plenty of good things to do as a team and it worked a charm. There is no way you could be got out of there easily in winter, at least in those days. One of our guys had a very bad ski-ing accident and shattered both bones in his lower leg. He had to be treated on base by our doctor (our base was large enough to have one) and was laid up for months - the rest of us had to muck in and do his job for him. He ended up with one leg an inch shorter than the other.

I was an INFJ amongst the ISTPs and INTPs and it could have worked out badly for me, but we are very good chameleons and I got by just fine. I cannot begin to tell you what it is like to be on your own in a complete wilderness in such dangerous beauty. Like on a cruise though, the biggest problems are the people you are thrown together with. The isolation and the need for self-reliance is just fantastic. When I came home after 19 months away it was like returning from a real world to an artificial one.

Wow, really cool adventure. I would not want to do the winter thing though. Six months is too long and life is too short but 2 weeks during winter. That would be interesting.

View attachment 55642

I'm saving your picture on my computer for wallpaper. And the story to go along with it too. :)

Wow, really cool adventure. I would not want to do the winter thing though. Six months is too long and life is too short but 2 weeks during winter. That would be interesting.
It very much depends what you want and what you need. I ended up actually belonging to South Georgia when I was down there if you know what I mean - it became 'my place' and if I'd stayed there the rest of my life it would have been a good life. You can't get to this experience in 2 weeks, but it wasn't what I set out to do of course. And to be honest, the life of a British Antarctic Base is artificial - these are not communities that can sustain themselves so that feeling of belonging was based on something inherently unstable. This time it takes to get to really know somewhere different is the same wherever we go of course - a place and its people need more than a couple of weeks if you want to know them well and internalise them, otherwise it is superficial knowledge - but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. There are places I have got to know too well and would have been happier keeping my more superficial impressions of them.

I'm saving your picture on my computer for wallpaper. And the story to go along with it too. :)

Crossed over your second message lol. That's fantastic :). I've posted some other pictures of my time on South Georgia in my Nightspore blog and this has reminded me that I have quite a few more to post from my time on the Survey's ships.