Doubting one's MBTI Type

natashka

Two
Aug 4, 2010
MBTI
INFx
Enneagram
6w5 sp/so
I want to hear some feedback from people who have confidently and knowledgeably decided a type for themselves.

I'm new to personality types; the first time I ever even took a MBTI test was about 3-4 months ago. When I first took it I scored as an INTP, which caused a huge "WTF" moment because I do NOT identify with INTP (for the most part - to be honest I think I can relate to all of the types a little bit). So I took a few different tests (pretty much all of the free ones I was able to find on Google) and I was almost consistently receiving INTP (sometimes INTJ). After that, I pretty much gave up on using these online tests as a tool in deciphering what my type could be. I started reading more thoroughly about the descriptions of types and their corresponding functions... but like I mentioned previously, I felt that I could relate to all of the types in some way. (Has anyone else ever felt this way?) I would think that this is a relatively normal thing to feel... we ALL use all of the cognitive functions, just in different levels. And it is no secret that expectations can influence experience.

So how the fuck am I supposed to determine what my type is?

I began turning to forums and discussion boards like these. Reading and listening to other people's experiences concerning their types was a HUGE help in deciding mine (or at least giving me some direction). INFJ is the type I can identify with the most, ESPECIALLY the Ni and Fe functions. I was also able to relate to so many INFJ's experiences. So I say, tentatively, that I am an INFJ.

But how can one really be so sure? I feel like we are constantly changing and evolving, learning when and how to use our cognitive functions, building upon our weaker ones and taming our stronger.... how are we supposed to determine what our type is and use it beneficially in our lives? Is it more transient than we think? WHAT??????

Evidently, this has become a [slightly] frustrating obsession of mine (mostly because it is the summertime and I am growing impatient of this responsibility-free lifestyle) and I was just wondering if anyone could relate to these thoughts/have some words of wisdom/etc.

Thanks and love.

I think of it this way:

If the typology is actually going to be useful to you, it's going to describe a big part of who you are. I can actually read an ISFJ description and identify with many parts of it. But what it misses is my biggest concerns and focuses, and it has some pretty large conflicts with my core personality.

So, if you want to be 'sure' of your type, the first thing you must ask is whether any function describes you specifically (in comparison to the other functions). For me, I actually have some reservations between deciding Fi and Ti, depending on how it is described, but I clearly do not identify with Ni, Si, Te, Fe, or Se. That rules out a whole lot of types! Also, as Ne implies extroversion and I clearly don't identify with that, that rules that one out as well.

After that, I just pick one that I think others would agree with, and quietly contemplate over the other (INFP) by myself. Hope that helps!

@KazeCraven: The fact that you even look at it that way means you're an INTP. INTP's can't decide stuff until they've ruled out all other possibilities; this is why many INTP's discuss questioning their type on the INTP forum a lot. Ne always presents that other plausible option for their Ti to consider.

@natashka: You determine your type by figuring out which cognitive processes you use. A lot of us like to think we use all sorts of them, when it is really certain processes behaving in such a way to act as other processes.

If you strongly use Fe and Ni, then you're not an INFP. INFP's use Fi and Ne, which are positively different functions. Fe can't morph into Fi, it's just a different way of thinking entirely.

If you're testing both INTP and INTJ, then you test just like I do. An INFJ with developed Ti can easily test as an NT type.

I initially scored INTP in the first few tests I started taking last year, lately I've repeatedly ended up with INTJ. Hell if I know.

@KazeCraven: The fact that you even look at it that way means you're an INTP. INTP's can't decide stuff until they've ruled out all other possibilities; this is why many INTP's discuss questioning their type on the INTP forum a lot. Ne always presents that other plausible option for their Ti to consider.

Heh, INTPs are also supposed to devalue feelings, be very concerned about their own competence, and be stubborn when pushed into something. I guess my point here is that this sounds like something that most INTPs would do, but is not a distinguishing feature. Are you saying that INFPs do not also rule out possibilities?

When I just want to get an idea of where I stand, I seek to identify with it. When I want to be 'sure', that's when I start X-ing out possibilities.