Does your personality change when you're being observed? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Does your personality change when you're being observed?

I perform worse... or better, sometimes. No, the watch part is never good for me. What can be good is, if I know it's something important. The two often go together, but must be recognized as different factors. If you put me in situation that is crucially important (you must also make me believe this, which is not always easy, because with age I gradually care less and less), then I might surprise you with level of performance, you wouldn't be able to foresee. That property makes me a perfect machine for exams and such - it was noted many times that I require little to no preparation, compared with others. Just throw me in there.

I perform worse... or better, sometimes. No, the watch part is never good for me. What can be good is, if I know it's something important. The two often go together, but must be recognized as different factors. If you put me in situation that is crucially important (you must also make me believe this, which is not always easy, because with age I gradually care less and less), then I might surprise you with level of performance, you wouldn't be able to foresee. That property makes me a perfect machine for exams and such - it was noted many times that I require little to no preparation, compared with others. Just throw me in there.

That's true. Pressure, or knowing that someone is watching can cause someone to work harder, or push themselves farther than what they thought they could.

Yeah of course, I think everyone's does. You'd adjust your behavior to the mindset of whoever's observing you, it would be a natural reflex. I'd probably start talking more, trying to accommodate them.

I close off completely.

I do this because I spent so much time earlier in life pretending to be someone I'm not. I have to be exactly who I am. For me, the best way is to climb inside myself and act as if I am the only person in the room.

I will watch my own shadow too. It isn't quite a mirror, but it allows me to be aware of when I have the urge to start faking the funk...

I close off completely.

I do this because I spent so much time earlier in life pretending to be someone I'm not. I have to be exactly who I am. For me, the best way is to climb inside myself and act as if I am the only person in the room.

I can relate to this. Yeah, it's a necessary coping strategy. If i don't do this, the expectations of a Fe-based social atmosphere overwhelm me, and i revert to Fi or "what i need to do for myself to keep me sane" sort of thing.

Does your personality change when you're conscious that you're being watched or observed? How?

I feel awkward, and probably act awkward. Or not. I know I get really quiet. Sit-up straight. Probably give off the 'cold as ice' vibe. Or so they've said.
I'd like to watch myself getting observed from a distance.

For me, it works in extremes. I'm either too relaxed or become increasingly socially awkward, and exceedingly self-conscious. And that's not good considering the profession i'm in.

bump

I get this really weird feeling in my chest when I'm being watched. It's like that, "O I like you" butterfly stomach feeling except it wraps itself around my heart and squeezes until I feel like I'm going to pass out. So it's a good thing and a bad thing. I feel that excitement but I'm not capable of processing it so I end up freaking out.
As for my personality changing, yes, I think it does. I get shaky and awkward and have this nervous talking that really bugs me. I just say whatever comes to my mind, no filter, and it doesn't matter who is around me. I'm so nervous and hyper-conscious of this fact that I'll start berating myself before it even happens. "Why did you say that!?" and the rest of me is going, "Well, I haven't said anything...*Wordswordswordswords.*" The biggest issue is school and work related. I get frustrated when I need to be professional and I feel like I'm not doing my best. Once again, I'll end up yelling at myself for things I haven't even done yet. Although, this filterless talk can be a good thing. If I didn't get this sort of social awkwardness I'd never talk to new people. This urge to fill the silence (which I usually find so comfortable, another odd thing) is the only reason I have made friends recently. It's as if I assume that people are supposed to talk to one another and this silence I like so much is not a normality in society. It also filters out people I wouldn't want to be friends with anyways. If those people can't handle me at my weirdest, why would I want them around when I'm acting in the vaguest sense of normal?

Does your personality change when you're conscious that you're being watched or observed? How?

No. this will remain always the same personality.

Reason: Here, what i think, if you bring some changes within yourself, then you will feel you cheated with yourselves and might happen, you feel guilt for it.

Other advantage of doing this is, you will be able to know how you are at personal level, your thinking and where you would like to go ahead in this personality field.

Interesting stuff it is! isn't it?