Does Fe focus on the audience?

Broken705

Regular Poster
Jun 11, 2011
MBTI
Human
Enneagram
unknown
Ok, something I've noticed that seems to be true about me. To some it would sound like an attention whore, and actually when I first noticed it, that worried me.

Whenever I speak or write, it's for the audience to critique. This had me thinking at one time that I might be an extrovert, but that just can't be true. I'm in my head too much.

And I don't quite like that I have to keep talking about myself. But it's often a matter of finding out what's true. I state things wondering if other INFJs releate, so that I can have some more evidence that I am an INFJ.

It's kind of like, "Hey audience, this is what I've been thinking about all day long. What do you think?"

And before I say it, I think about what the audience will say. As you'll notice, I noted the "attention whore" already.

So the audience says, "blah blah blah."

I thank them, and then I analyze what the audience says, especially if I can tell that certain audience members know a great deal about what they're talking about.

Could this be an example of Fe focusing on the group?

Reactions: middle1
ya know, i wanna say everyone does this to some extent, but then i think they probably don't. my estj friend just says shit without censoring or worrying about how it comes across, but then again, he may not be a good example.

Reactions: Broken705
ya know, i wanna say everyone does this to some extent, but then i think they probably don't. my estj friend just says shit without censoring or worrying about how it comes across, but then again, he may not be a good example.

Actually, I don't think so. I know a lot of people with the proud attitude, "I don't care what anyone else thinks."

And many times they can be perceived assholes even if they didn't have the intention. That's not me. I don't want to come across that way.

My gut reaction to, "What you said upset me"....Is, "Let me say it another way."

Last edited:
Found this;

The process of extraverted Feeling often involves a desire to connect with (or disconnect from) others and is often evidenced by expressions of warmth (or displeasure) and self-disclosure. The “social graces,” such as being polite, being nice, being friendly, being considerate, and being appropriate, often revolve around the process of extraverted Feeling. Keeping in touch, laughing at jokes when others laugh, and trying to get people to act kindly to each other also involve extraverted Feeling. Using this process, we respond according to expressed or even unexpressed wants and needs of others. We may ask people what they want or need or self-disclose to prompt them to talk more about themselves. This often sparks conversation and lets us know more about them so we can better adjust our behavior to them. Often with this process, we feel pulled to be responsible and take care of others’ feelings, sometimes to the point of not separating our feelings from theirs. We may recognize and adhere to shared values, feelings, and social norms to get along.

Introverted Thinking often involves finding just the right word to clearly express an idea concisely, crisply, and to the point. Using introverted Thinking is like having an internal sense of the essential qualities of something, noticing the fine distinctions that make it what it is and then naming it. It also involves an internal reasoning process of deriving subcategories of classes and sub-principles of general principles. These can then be used in problem solving, analysis, and refining of a product or an idea. This process is evidenced in behaviors like taking things or ideas apart to figure out how they work. The analysis involves looking at different sides of an issue and seeing where there is inconsistency. In so doing, we search for a “leverage point” that will fix problems with the least amount of effort or damage to the system. We engage in this process when we notice logical inconsistencies between statements and frameworks, using a model to evaluate the likely accuracy of what’s observed.

Taken from cognitive process . com website.

I got more of an introverted thinking from what you described. Don't know if that helps and I am by no means an expert at this stuff.

Reactions: Broken705
Personally speaking, yep. The latter part seems to be (Ni)Fe + Ti + Ni ("I'm seeing this and that, and taking this and that from other people" + "analyzing it~ right? Wrong?" + "Hmm, where does this fit?")

It works for all extroverted functions, not only Fe.

Found this;

The process of extraverted Feeling often involves a desire to connect with (or disconnect from) others and is often evidenced by expressions of warmth (or displeasure) and self-disclosure. The “social graces,” such as being polite, being nice, being friendly, being considerate, and being appropriate, often revolve around the process of extraverted Feeling. Keeping in touch, laughing at jokes when others laugh, and trying to get people to act kindly to each other also involve extraverted Feeling. Using this process, we respond according to expressed or even unexpressed wants and needs of others. We may ask people what they want or need or self-disclose to prompt them to talk more about themselves. This often sparks conversation and lets us know more about them so we can better adjust our behavior to them. Often with this process, we feel pulled to be responsible and take care of others’ feelings, sometimes to the point of not separating our feelings from theirs. We may recognize and adhere to shared values, feelings, and social norms to get along.

Introverted Thinking often involves finding just the right word to clearly express an idea concisely, crisply, and to the point. Using introverted Thinking is like having an internal sense of the essential qualities of something, noticing the fine distinctions that make it what it is and then naming it. It also involves an internal reasoning process of deriving subcategories of classes and sub-principles of general principles. These can then be used in problem solving, analysis, and refining of a product or an idea. This process is evidenced in behaviors like taking things or ideas apart to figure out how they work. The analysis involves looking at different sides of an issue and seeing where there is inconsistency. In so doing, we search for a “leverage point” that will fix problems with the least amount of effort or damage to the system. We engage in this process when we notice logical inconsistencies between statements and frameworks, using a model to evaluate the likely accuracy of what’s observed.

Taken from cognitive process . com website.

I got more of an introverted thinking from what you described. Don't know if that helps and I am by no means an expert at this stuff.

"spread reputation around . . . " *annoyed*

I do this quite often. I also, in reply to other people, give them a little something. So let's say someone on a forum says I'm wrong. I might not actually think there's a chance I'm wrong about something but I will tell them they make "good points" or say "I think maybe you could be right about this" or say "this has certainly given me food for thought and I will investigate this, thank you". I may be letting secrets away here, but in some cases, not all, I'm just plain lying. I think I'm right but if I was to say that I would come across as boorish (and I do care what other people think when it comes to this - but I don't care what other's think when it comes to my intelligence/beauty/whether I'm too "timid" etc - not important). But it's not just about not coming across badly, it's because I don't want to upset the other person by being too sharp or appearing arrogant (which can be offensive) and also because I want them to take my words into account. If you give them a little something they feel like we're discussing something, I'm not just telling them, which makes them feel that I think they are important, which makes them more receptive to what I say.

Downright manipulation on my part but I only ever do it to make discourse easier, not to achieve particular aims, except in cases where there is a wrong that must be righted - then I do have a specific aim.

Also - thank you to [MENTION=3096]NDN NT[/MENTION]. That was a very good description of Fe. You know what I hate the most? When someone tells a joke that's not funny and people don't laugh. It doesn't matter if a joke is funny or not, you laugh because the person who told the joke did so to make you laugh. Not laughing is rude and ungrateful!