Does Bill Clinton Owe Monica Lewinsky an Apology? | INFJ Forum

Does Bill Clinton Owe Monica Lewinsky an Apology?

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by Sloe Djinn, Jun 5, 2018.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 10 users.
More threads by Sloe Djinn
  1. Sloe Djinn

Sloe Djinn Idiot with Internet Access. Puts Tabasco on Pizza.

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    SOCMOB
    Enneagram:
    So I think Bill Clinton recently gave an interview and was asked if he apologized to Monica Lewinsky about the relationship between them. He said he didn't but that he apologized to the public. I don't really see the reason that a personal apology is necessary for a scandal between two consenting adults. To my knowledge there were never any factors like rape or coercion to suggest that contact was forced or in any way non-consensual. I feel like they should both have known what the stakes were if they were to be discovered. From what I see, they each disgraced their posts, which warrant apologies to the public that they serve, but I don't really see personal apologies as a necessity, or the lack thereof as a character flaw.

Anyway, what do you all think?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Free, Reason, Sandie33 and 5 others like this.
  2. Misadventure

Misadventure butt fros and asian purrs

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Like you said, Sloe, they were both consenting adults at the time. It's not like she was a victim in all of it. Bill was just another rung on her ladder of ambition. The only thing they were both sorry for was getting caught! They both knew exactly what they were doing and in a case of a married man and his mistress, it's the spouse that should be apologized to. However, that spouse is Hilary... so no wonder? And also she prolly has had bill by the balls since then so meh.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Free, Sandie33, ruji and 5 others like this.
  3. OP
    Sloe Djinn

Sloe Djinn Idiot with Internet Access. Puts Tabasco on Pizza.

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    SOCMOB
    Enneagram:
    I heard about this on NPR and see a couple of headlines on CNN, one of which was an opinion poll that characterized Clinton as "Still a Monster". I think that the #metoo movement has also been responsible for some of the current focus on this issue. Now, I'm not debating anything that Clinton has done in the past (as from what little I've heard, he probably has committed sexual assault), but I just don't think that this is applicable fodder.

Who knows, I usually tend to latch onto political issues that are gone in a day.

Free, James, JennyDaniella and 2 others like this.
  4. Wyote

Wyote Moody Magician
    Staff Member Administrator

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Ni Space
    Enneagram:
    9 Seas
    For the dress maybe. But nah.

Free, Calimero, Sandie33 and 6 others like this.
  5. Misadventure

Misadventure butt fros and asian purrs

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    This whole new wave of feminism seems to be missing the mark if they're digging up this old crap.

Free, Sandie33, ruji and 5 others like this.
  6. Gaze

Gaze What am I mixing? Well . . .
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Consent alone can no longer be the bar in these scenarios. The power difference is key. If her job was in jeopardy, or she would have been penalized in terms of opportunities, etc. if the relationship did not continue, then there is a inequality that can't be overcome by simply being consenting adults. The other issue which can't be ignored is that Monica Lewinsky's life was destroyed in the media, etc. She was still pretty young. Her name, life and career were destroyed by her involvement in this scandal because of the media's portrayal. No other woman in the same situation received this kind of negative treatment in the media.

I don't think anyone can know what it was like to be her, especially with the jokes that were made. To reduce it to they were both consenting adults who had an affair wrongfully dismisses the extent to which both their lives were so differently affected. Rarely, did most people especially back in the 1990s understand the long term effects of these kinds of scandals. I am not sure if he owes her an apology. But I think his response was a bit dismissive. I think it would have been better if he acknowledged that the relationship was not appropriate professionally considering she was an intern and he was the President. In his position, he had the advantage.

If anyone is interested, watch this. Not saying it will change your mind, but it may give a different perspective:

#6 Gaze, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  7. Pin

Pin Commander-in Chief / Ren's Counterpart

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Mutually, a verbal apology could be a decent gesture but it is not owed.

"You are entitled to nothing."

#7 Pin, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Free and Sloe Djinn like this.
  8. Isabella

Isabella Probably dancing....

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    3SleepEo
    I was going to post that Ted video but you beat me to it! :wink: Watched the video several years ago and thought she presented herself really well. Definitely worth watching and I agree with what you wrote here:

"I am not sure if he owes her an apology. But I think his response was a bit dismissive. I think it would have been better if he acknowledged that the relationship was not appropriate professionally considering she was an intern and he was the President. Clearly, he had the advantage."

I don't particularly care about whether I think she deserves an apology but would like to know if Lewinksy ever expressed a desire for an apology. If so, I wonder what that apology would look like and say about her/Clinton?

Free, Sloe Djinn, Gaze and 1 other person like this.
  9. Lady Jolanda

Lady Jolanda The Queen of Sophistry
    Staff Member Tech Admins

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    Enneagram:
    7-4-9
    Apologize for what? He did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky.

Free, Calimero, JennyDaniella and 4 others like this.
  10. souvenir

souvenir Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTPLol
    This.

He abused his position of power by having any sort of relationship with a 22 year old white house intern. He was her boss. He was the president of the United States. Even if he wasn't any of those things there was a power and experience imbalance by the 25 year age difference. In every way there was a mismatch of power between the two and he abused the situation he was in. I think she deserves an apology, personally.

Free, Wyote, Gaze and 1 other person like this.
  11. ruji

ruji Well-known weirdo

Threads:
    MBTI:
    xxxx
    Apologize with his money, right?

Free, Lady Jolanda, Pin and 1 other person like this.
  12. Reason

Reason Booze Baron

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Is "apology" a sexual euphemism? He just might owe it to her ;)

Free and Lady Jolanda like this.
  13. Pin

Pin Commander-in Chief / Ren's Counterpart

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTJ
    Probably, it's always about money.

Free likes this.
  14. hush

On Holiday

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    pocketoli
    Enneagram:
    Even if he did apologize - how much is an apology worth, if the person giving it doesn't mean it?

Free, Calimero, Icedream and 6 others like this.
  15. JennyDaniella

JennyDaniella Stargazer- Secretary of Health and Human Services

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    2w1
    *exhales deeply and breathes out*

[​IMG]

Free, Calimero, ruji and 2 others like this.
  16. infinite dreams

infinite dreams Serene Doge

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    Even if he did mean it...what tangible benefit would it bring to her life today? "Closure?" Nope. At best, publicity, which she already has and the scope of which would not change with any admission of wrongdoing by Clinton.

Free, Isabella, Sandie33 and 4 others like this.
  17. Gaze

Gaze What am I mixing? Well . . .
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    My theory is that he doesn't want acknowledge the situation publicly maybe in deference to Mrs. Clinton. I also think that because she was a "mistress" it's easier to view her as singly accountable, which she was and did acknowledge, without realizing the effects on her life. Sometimes, people don't give much thought or sympathy to how vulnerable or compromising it is for a young woman starting out in her career and how the decision they both made affected her, since he was more accountable to Mrs. Clinton. But then it also shows you that just because a relationship was morally wrong, doesn't mean that the feelings and effect of dealing with the fallout for the other person is not real or significant. She didn't benefit like many others did.

#17 Gaze, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  18. acd

acd Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    I think he is a shitheel for taking advantage of a young woman in his position of power. He didn't mess with a famous actress or some wealthy socialite-- he messed with a young intern just starting to gain her footing in the world-- who held no power and soiled her reputation and future over a BJ. Even though she consented, I still think he's the shittier party because the balance of power tipped significantly more in his favor.

I would not say anyone ever owes anyone an apology though. I think people should only apologise when they really regret something.

#18 acd, Jun 5, 2018
    Isabella, souvenir, Sandie33 and 4 others like this.
  19. Chickensoup

Chickensoup Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    They were consenting adults, but she got dragged through the dirt. I think if he were to apologize, it’d be for that. I’m sure Monica Lewinsky didn’t want any interviewer asking that question for her though. So, it’s bullshit that it got asked, that he got worked up about it and that it became a headline. She’s had plenty of chances to expose what happened between them and never did.

20. Happy Phantom

Happy Phantom Phantom Traveler
    Site Supporter

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    She was old enough to know better and they both lied about their tryst. She lied about their relationship on her submitted affidavit ffs, and he lied publicly. I believe their relationship was mutually consensual.

She was also transferred from her position at the White House to the Pentagon because her superiors felt she was spending too much time with Clinton, then she blabbed to Linda Tripp and fuck knows who else. If you don’t want it told, don’t tell it!

So to answer the question, no he doesn’t owe her an apology. She’s doing just fine today likely because of the incident. As for him, he’s very unprofessional, a cheater, a liar and has poor character.

#20 Happy Phantom, Jun 5, 2018
    Free, Reason, Sandie33 and 2 others like this.