Does Bill Clinton Owe Monica Lewinsky an Apology? | INFJ Forum

Does Bill Clinton Owe Monica Lewinsky an Apology?

Should Bill Apologize to Monica?

• Total voters

Sloe Djinn

Idiot with Internet Access.
Mar 2, 2010
MBTI
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
So I think Bill Clinton recently gave an interview and was asked if he apologized to Monica Lewinsky about the relationship between them. He said he didn't but that he apologized to the public. I don't really see the reason that a personal apology is necessary for a scandal between two consenting adults. To my knowledge there were never any factors like rape or coercion to suggest that contact was forced or in any way non-consensual. I feel like they should both have known what the stakes were if they were to be discovered. From what I see, they each disgraced their posts, which warrant apologies to the public that they serve, but I don't really see personal apologies as a necessity, or the lack thereof as a character flaw.

Anyway, what do you all think?

Like you said, Sloe, they were both consenting adults at the time. It's not like she was a victim in all of it. Bill was just another rung on her ladder of ambition. The only thing they were both sorry for was getting caught! They both knew exactly what they were doing and in a case of a married man and his mistress, it's the spouse that should be apologized to. However, that spouse is Hilary... so no wonder? And also she prolly has had bill by the balls since then so meh.

I heard about this on NPR and see a couple of headlines on CNN, one of which was an opinion poll that characterized Clinton as "Still a Monster". I think that the #metoo movement has also been responsible for some of the current focus on this issue. Now, I'm not debating anything that Clinton has done in the past (as from what little I've heard, he probably has committed sexual assault), but I just don't think that this is applicable fodder.

Who knows, I usually tend to latch onto political issues that are gone in a day.

For the dress maybe. But nah.

Consent alone can no longer be the bar in these scenarios. The power difference is key. If her job was in jeopardy, or she would have been penalized in terms of opportunities, etc. if the relationship did not continue, then there is a inequality that can't be overcome by simply being consenting adults. The other issue which can't be ignored is that Monica Lewinsky's life was destroyed in the media, etc. She was still pretty young. Her name, life and career were destroyed by her involvement in this scandal because of the media's portrayal. No other woman in the same situation received this kind of negative treatment in the media.

I don't think anyone can know what it was like to be her, especially with the jokes that were made. To reduce it to they were both consenting adults who had an affair wrongfully dismisses the extent to which both their lives were so differently affected. Rarely, did most people especially back in the 1990s understand the long term effects of these kinds of scandals. I am not sure if he owes her an apology. But I think his response was a bit dismissive. I think it would have been better if he acknowledged that the relationship was not appropriate professionally considering she was an intern and he was the President. In his position, he had the advantage.

If anyone is interested, watch this. Not saying it will change your mind, but it may give a different perspective:

Last edited:
Consent alone can no longer be the bar in these scenarios. The power difference is key. If her job was in jeopardy, or she would have been penalized in terms of opportunities, etc. if the relationship did not continue, then there is a inequality that can't be overcome by simply being consenting adults. The other issue which can't be ignored is that Monica Lewinsky's life was destroyed in the media, etc. She was still pretty young, and maybe naive. In any case, there was no one protecting her or looking for her in all this. Her name got pulled through the mud in ways that others in similar situation who'd done worse never had to deal with. Her name and life and career was destroyed by her involvement in this scandal because of the media's portrayal. No other woman who was involved with the President received this kind of treatment in the media.

I don't think anyone can know what it was like to be her, especially with the way the media and jokes that were made. She had to move to another country and change her name for a while to have any sort of life. So, to reduce it to they were both consenting adults who had an affair wrongfully dismisses the extent to which both their lives were so differently affected. He was almost impeached and still remained in office. And if anyone says, she what she was getting into. No, rarely, did most people especially back in the 1990s understand the long term effects of these kinds of scandals. I am not sure if he owes her an apology. But I think his response was a bit dismissive. I think it would have been better if he acknowledged that the relationship was not appropriate professionally considering she was an intern and he was the President. Clearly, he had the advantage.

If anyone is interested, watch this. Not saying it will change your mind, but it may give a different perspective:

I was going to post that Ted video but you beat me to it! :wink: Watched the video several years ago and thought she presented herself really well. Definitely worth watching and I agree with what you wrote here:

"I am not sure if he owes her an apology. But I think his response was a bit dismissive. I think it would have been better if he acknowledged that the relationship was not appropriate professionally considering she was an intern and he was the President. Clearly, he had the advantage."

I don't particularly care about whether I think she deserves an apology but would like to know if Lewinksy ever expressed a desire for an apology. If so, I wonder what that apology would look like and say about her/Clinton?

Consent alone can no longer be the bar in these scenarios. The power difference is key. If her job was in jeopardy, or she would have been penalized in terms of opportunities, etc. if the relationship did not continue, then there is a inequality that can't be overcome by simply being consenting adults. The other issue which can't be ignored is that Monica Lewinsky's life was destroyed in the media, etc. She was still pretty young, and maybe naive. In any case, there was no one protecting her or looking for her in all this. Her name got pulled through the mud in ways that others in similar situation who'd done worse never had to deal with. Her name and life and career was destroyed by her involvement in this scandal because of the media's portrayal. No other woman who was involved with the President received this kind of treatment in the media.

I don't think anyone can know what it was like to be her, especially with the way the media and jokes that were made. She had to move to another country and change her name for a while to have any sort of life. So, to reduce it to they were both consenting adults who had an affair wrongfully dismisses the extent to which both their lives were so differently affected. He was almost impeached and still remained in office. And if anyone says, she what she was getting into. No, rarely, did most people especially back in the 1990s understand the long term effects of these kinds of scandals. I am not sure if he owes her an apology. But I think his response was a bit dismissive. I think it would have been better if he acknowledged that the relationship was not appropriate professionally considering she was an intern and he was the President. Clearly, he had the advantage.

This.

He abused his position of power by having any sort of relationship with a 22 year old white house intern. He was her boss. He was the president of the United States. Even if he wasn't any of those things there was a power and experience imbalance by the 25 year age difference. In every way there was a mismatch of power between the two and he abused the situation he was in. I think she deserves an apology, personally.

*exhales deeply and breathes out*

giphy.gif

Even if he did apologize - how much is an apology worth, if the person giving it doesn't mean it?

Even if he did mean it...what tangible benefit would it bring to her life today? "Closure?" Nope. At best, publicity, which she already has and the scope of which would not change with any admission of wrongdoing by Clinton.

I was going to post that Ted video but you beat me to it! :wink: Watched the video several years ago and thought she presented herself really well. Definitely worth watching and I agree with what you wrote here:

"I am not sure if he owes her an apology. But I think his response was a bit dismissive. I think it would have been better if he acknowledged that the relationship was not appropriate professionally considering she was an intern and he was the President. Clearly, he had the advantage."

I don't particularly care about whether I think she deserves an apology but would like to know if Lewinksy ever expressed a desire for an apology. If so, I wonder what that apology would look like and say about her/Clinton?

My theory is that he doesn't want acknowledge the situation publicly maybe in deference to Mrs. Clinton. I also think that because she was a "mistress" it's easier to view her as singly accountable, which she was and did acknowledge, without realizing the effects on her life. Sometimes, people don't give much thought or sympathy to how vulnerable or compromising it is for a young woman starting out in her career and how the decision they both made affected her, since he was more accountable to Mrs. Clinton. But then it also shows you that just because a relationship was morally wrong, doesn't mean that the feelings and effect of dealing with the fallout for the other person is not real or significant. She didn't benefit like many others did.

Last edited:
I think he is a shitheel for taking advantage of a young woman in his position of power. He didn't mess with a famous actress or some wealthy socialite-- he messed with a young intern just starting to gain her footing in the world-- who held no power and soiled her reputation and future over a BJ. Even though she consented, I still think he's the shittier party because the balance of power tipped significantly more in his favor.

I would not say anyone ever owes anyone an apology though. I think people should only apologise when they really regret something.

Last edited:
They were consenting adults, but she got dragged through the dirt. I think if he were to apologize, it’d be for that. I’m sure Monica Lewinsky didn’t want any interviewer asking that question for her though. So, it’s bullshit that it got asked, that he got worked up about it and that it became a headline. She’s had plenty of chances to expose what happened between them and never did.

She was old enough to know better and they both lied about their tryst. She lied about their relationship on her submitted affidavit ffs, and he lied publicly. I believe their relationship was mutually consensual.

She was also transferred from her position at the White House to the Pentagon because her superiors felt she was spending too much time with Clinton, then she blabbed to Linda Tripp and fuck knows who else. If you don’t want it told, don’t tell it!

So to answer the question, no he doesn’t owe her an apology. She’s doing just fine today likely because of the incident. As for him, he’s very unprofessional, a cheater, a liar and has poor character.

Last edited: