Do you think you're owed anything in this life? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Do you think you're owed anything in this life?

No. That's why I am so eager on securing financial stability and power for myself because I couldn't stand an abusive authority taking control of life away from my family and I.
The die is cast.

Weird, that my name shows up in your quote because I'm not the OP. Nixie asked the question.

But you are the OP.

Ah! I just realized I didn't look at the thread title properly. I just assumed this was Nixie's thread about being owed a partner. Sorry :D

That's just my guess.

Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about. I just thought what you said was interesting. I already apologized for the error, so I'm not sure why I'm being called out for jumping around. Not sure of the relevance. Anyways, moving on. :)

Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about. I just thought what you said was interesting. I already apologized for the error, so I'm not sure why I'm being called out for jumping around. Not sure of the relevance. Anyways, moving on. :)
Do you think you're owed anything in life?

Owed... anything?

Why would I be owed anything? By whom?
Perhaps I need to read the thread more thoroughly, but I am currently both too tired and too lazy to do so.

Truly though, I cannot understand being "owed" anything.

If you don't mind me asking, why not?

I feel like I'm a lab experiment with this question. Why is it important?

It's possible that the expectations we have of ourselves set a tone in our lives, like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It's weird that this thread was revived. In any case, I don't have those expectations anymore. It wouldn't make sense to think I'm owed anything if life constantly teaches that this feeling is misguided. Just leads to disappointment or false expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pin
Reactions: Eventhorizon
I actually don't understand how so few people think they're owed anything. I mean, I imagine "owed" basically amounts to whether you deserve anything, right?

My reaction seems to go with athenian's: I think justice is exactly what one is owed, no more, no less.

Reactions: Wyote
OK I guess this was covered in the thread -- some people don't think of "owe" in terms of "deserve." I'm not seeing where those diverge yet, to be honest.

Reactions: Wyote
Anyway, I've spent time pondering meta-ethics, as I always was dissatisfied with pragmatic ethics, which just says what the rules for good behavior are without grounding what ethics even is.

I think the crux of my position is that, once you acknowledge mental states are certain facts that one can become aware of, it trivially seems to follow that there's good and evil of some sort. And it even seems to imply that generally, the more facts one becomes aware of, the less senseless suffering one will introduce in the world, given the option. Note to have the fullest knowledge of the facts, one cannot simply know THAT a mental state occurs but what it is like to experience it -- that's generally part of the reality of it, if one is a realist about mental states.

I mean, if rationality amounts to making the most self-consistent decision after the largest possible awareness of the facts, it seems there's actually a basis for rejecting the creation of senseless suffering.