Do you know how to be happy? | INFJ Forum

Do you know how to be happy?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Odd question but I am wondering how many find it easy be happy or know how to be happy.

For example, because of worry, fear, stress or frustration, I sometimes find it difficult to know how to be happy. I'm curious whether others experience this as well.

Is it easy for you to be happy? How do you know you're happy? For those who've gone through this and come out on the other side, how did you learn to be happy?

Learning to live in the moment, and to allow things to happen as they may. I know that as long as I feel good about what I am doing and it is positive ... everything will work out the way it is intended.

Reactions: Norton
Only in the moment.

I find it hard to believe that something like happiness is sustainable. When someone claims to be, I can't help but look for some fracture in their story. There's something off. They're concealing the unpleasant side of themselves.

If asked whether I'm happy, I'm not. At most I'm satisfied with my lot in life.

Yes, and I am working towards it. Happiness is harmony.

I really don't find it easy in practice, even if I sometimes feel that it is easy to be happy in theory. Happiness is always a work in progress for me. I have moments when I truly feel happiness surrounding me, but they're fleeting. There's always something missing, something to strive for. I don't know what it is, I'm probably just expecting too much from everything and everybody, and maybe not enough or most likely too much from myself. I can't get no satisfaction. :D

I like what [MENTION=4423]Sriracha[/MENTION] said about living in the moment. I wholeheartedly agree with that, but still find it very difficult to maintain it in my own life. With age, I have gotten better at it. At least it feels like it. I've somewhat learned to let go of things, my anxieties, worries, the constant need for perfection. But it's never complete. Happiness seems to always be just around the corner.

Odd question but I am wondering how many find it easy be happy or know how to be happy.

For example, because of worry, fear, stress or frustration, I sometimes find it difficult to know how to be happy. I'm curious whether others experience this as well.

Is it easy for you to be happy? How do you know you're happy? For those who've gone through this and come out on the other side, how did you learn to be happy?

I think I am happy, but I could be happier (oh, far happier). There are moments when I am seriously overjoyed and feel that life is a tremendous, unexpected gift. Those moments are sublime, and worth all the pain that comes before or after them. Then there are the everyday hardships that I have to go through.

Ultimately I think happiness is related to coming to terms with what you do have and experience on a daily basis, as opposed to what you could have or desire to experience. And that itself is related to recognizing the value of each moment.

depends.

I think I am happy, but I could be happier (oh, far happier). There are moments when I am seriously overjoyed and feel that life is a tremendous, unexpected gift. Those moments are sublime, and worth all the pain that comes before or after them. Then there are the everyday hardships that I have to go through.

Ultimately I think happiness is related to coming to terms with what you do have and experience on a daily basis, as opposed to what you could have or desire to experience. And that itself is related to recognizing the value of each moment.

yes, I agree with both you and [MENTION=4423]Sriracha[/MENTION]. Focusing on what ifs tends to lead to disappointments. So, learning to occupy the moment and enjoy it is better.

Yeah. Sometimes it is easy and sometimes it is not easy but I think I know how to trick myself.

I'll trick myself by doing things that I did the times I was happy and eventually I'm not tricking myself anymore.

I find myself feeling easily grateful for the little things, and I think that's enough for me, even when there is stress.

I've been in worse spots than I am now. I've felt inner turmoil before that has probably been the worst thing I have ever been through. I don't want to speak generally because I have not been through some of the trauma that I know others endure, but in my experience there is little else from the outside world that can really rattle me as long as I am fundamentally okay. So that is my goal, to stay okay within me and in doing so I can deal with life outside of me. It is also to create a space for myself, a physical space, in this world where my need for peace and quiet is honoured and respected, because noise is something that can be unhealthy and unsettling for me as well.

I think because of where I have come from, in terms of how I've lived, I am able to appreciate the daily features of my life like having a warm room in spite of the gusts of rainy wind that are taking place outside and having peace and quiet instead of screaming and stomping around me. My life is not perfect, it is not without worries, but my needs seem to (more or less) be met at a basic level, which they used to not be for a very long time. Because of this, I realize how wonderful it feels to have them met, so having it is enough to make me feel deeply grateful. And I think this sense of contentment, peace, and gratitude is how I experience happiness. I'm pretty a-okay at the moment, and to me that's happiness. The happiness could be deeper and greater if I wasn't worried about xyz, but I am able to think about it constructively as long as it is not urgent. I try not to play the game of "what if" (which only makes me feel worse and doesn't change reality), and instead to focus on how I can cope with reality and make the best of what happens. I don't expect life to be perfect, so I gear myself up for doing the best that I can and loving myself unconditionally. It seems to help.

Loving yourself, at least some, at least for something really helps not to drown. . And enjoying simple things, not pursuing kinetic pleasures (Epicurus), appreciating nature, etc.

much easier now. used to be extremely hard for me. Then I decided to take life as a joke and ride and now I'm starting to enjoy it more. especially when I'm left alone to my own devices! do what you love and love what you do!

Happiness is a choice sometimes. I find myself living from moment to moment as there are so many happy moments in between the stress and monotony and exhaustion of my day to day life. I could choose to be unhappy if I so wish, but I feel ignoring the little gems around my day is incredibly selfish.

Sometimes it's the opposite, or both at the same time....you need to step back from your life or situation and look at the big picture and all of the good things in your life. There are often more than you think.

Happiness is as interesting one. I think people are too caught up in smiles and laughter and feelings of mild euphoria. I personally think happiness is about being content with yourself, knowing you're not perfect and there are things you could change in your life, but being content and willing to work to move forward. That's nt always an easy one, though.

Reactions: Quiet
Every now and then I've had horrible migraines -- the kind that make you throw up and hide in a dark closet to avoid light stabbing your eyes, and the kind that make you wish someone would shoot you in the head to make the pain stop, and the kind that last a day or two. It's awful. Then, thankfully, they go away, and I'm just flooded with a sense of well-being. Ordinary everyday life seems extraordinarily beautiful to me, and it is beautiful. That's what happiness feels like to me: to physically and emotionally appreciate reality, whatever it is -- which is not to say life is perfect, or that I don't get extremely grouchy sometimes, but that I have a lot to be thankful for, am not in pain, and I know it.

Mmm... I've become a little bit suspicious of the word happy. To be honest. :m095:

I have moments of joy and anguish and pain and peace. I try to take the good with the bad, sort of thing.

Thinking about the meaning and significance of things makes me happy.

Thinking about practical contingencies and details is annoying work for me.