[INFJ] - Do any of you guys have depression/anxiety? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Do any of you guys have depression/anxiety?

[MENTION=9809]La Sagna[/MENTION]
I was reading about the troubles with your son.

I have to say that I think a lot of this is just society. Modern society these days is just plain bad and over competitive in my opinion, which is why more and more people want to escape from it.

I went through rebellious phases and the phase where I cut myself off and only played games because that was the only way I could see myself continuing to live at the time. Some tiny scrap of my life that actually belongs to me instead of everybody else.

I also think this is where the YOLO mentality comes from. Some times a person can feel so stifled that living just for a moment in freedom is worth throwing away everything else. I had this a lot in my 20's where I felt life was so terrible that I didn't care about responsibilities - I knew I'd get into trouble but it was simply the price to pay for beautiful freedom in a vanishing moment.

[MENTION=9809]La Sagna[/MENTION]
I was reading about the troubles with your son.

I have to say that I think a lot of this is just society. Modern society these days is just plain bad and over competitive in my opinion, which is why more and more people want to escape from it.

I went through rebellious phases and the phase where I cut myself off and only played games because that was the only way I could see myself continuing to live at the time. Some tiny scrap of my life that actually belongs to me instead of everybody else.

I also think this is where the YOLO mentality comes from. Some times a person can feel so stifled that living just for a moment in freedom is worth throwing away everything else. I had this a lot in my 20's where I felt life was so terrible that I didn't care about responsibilities - I knew I'd get into trouble but it was simply the price to pay for beautiful freedom in a vanishing moment.

Thanks for your perspective on this. I completely understand wanting to escape from society, if I didn't feel a responsibility towards my family I think I seriously would go away somewhere to hide. I know that my husband feels the same at times. Here's the problem though, it is easy to escape real life through video games when you are living in a comfortable house and have all your needs taken care of. From the perspective of a parent who has worked really hard since they were 18 it is difficult to not feel taken advantage of. We truly care about him so we want him to be able to take care of himself which he will not accomplish if he does nothing but play video games. We also would like to now have the opportunity to take advantage of the YOLO mentality ourselves, since (hopefully) we have a lot less of our 'one life to live' and we would like to have an opportunity to live it.

Thanks for your perspective on this. I completely understand wanting to escape from society, if I didn't feel a responsibility towards my family I think I seriously would go away somewhere to hide. I know that my husband feels the same at times. Here's the problem though, it is easy to escape real life through video games when you are living in a comfortable house and have all your needs taken care of. From the perspective of a parent who has worked really hard since they were 18 it is difficult to not feel taken advantage of. We truly care about him so we want him to be able to take care of himself which he will not accomplish if he does nothing but play video games. We also would like to now have the opportunity to take advantage of the YOLO mentality ourselves, since (hopefully) we have a lot less of our 'one life to live' and we would like to have an opportunity to live it.

Yeah... it was the opposite for me. I was supporting my dysfunctional mother when I was young and felt like I couldn't leave because she wouldn't survive by herself. Nobody else would have anything to do with her really because they were tired of her crap, but she was my mother.

I know how it is to feel like you can never catch a break.

Sadness is and must be a part of life. To anyone, don't confuse sadness with depression, because these are different things, very different.
The main difference is that depression is morbid, it leads to inactivity and despair, and a tendency to avoid the every-day life.

Also there are some other interesting things with depression, in my opinion.
I learned that those who battled with depression are far more relaxed and fearless with life in general. Its like..."I have been there, and I'm not afraid of it at all. I know that passage of life, got the T-shirt, and now I'm free."

Being trough strong bouts of depression, developed in me a confidence in my abilitities that I have been noticed other people totally lack, a fundamental kind of confidence, which is far more strong when difficult times come. Its like the old saying: That which does not kills me, it makes me stronger". And it did, much more stronger :)

Reactions: La Sagna
2013 was a stressful year for me.

I was adapting to married life, missing the company of my family because i moved out, dealt with a relative's passing, heard bad news of a family member's unfaithful spouse, lost 2 so-called close friends (I came to realise i'm better off without them), pressured myself to self produce my music album (#1 on my bucket list). My husband had to deal with my unstable emotional state and that lead to many unreasonable fights. Not to mention we are both self-employed and we are dealing with money issues. I got to admit there were a few times i contemplated/attempted suicide.

Are these signs of depression? Or was I just too hard on myself?

I'm disgusted by my actions as i think about the events in hindsight. My parents were worried sick about me. I'm getting better currently. This year i just want to focus on spending quality time with my parents/family and take each day as it comes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eventhorizon
im pretty sure all INFJs have anxiety/depression

Yes, since middle school, i was diagnosed with dysthymia by my then therapist. Then in highschool i got worse, to the point of getting into a mental institution due to numerous nervous breakdowns that led to me to a couple of dissociative episodes, and having to drop out and finnish school via correspondence while i was working.
I don't want to sound dramatic and i apologize if i do, but i was almost literally in hell, i still feel anger, shame and pain the few times i remember that period, i went the wrong way. I'm still prone (and as a kid too actually) to feel depressed anyway. I'm not a self realized person now who got over depression and now i'm living the life of my dreams, no, not at all.
I'm probably a little bit more self assured now, i also have the support of a couple of wonderful individuals, and some goals that i want to acomplish.

Developing Fe was key to me too, i believe, getting trapped on introverted intuition is just nuts.

Last edited:
While a personality type isn't inherently afflicted with a corresponding personality disorder, I do think that certain types tend to spiral into certain disorders when things go awry.

Here are some correlation between MBTI types and personality disorders:
(Source: In-Depth Pages at http://www.celebritytypes.com/)

ENTP: Strongly linked to the Antisocial personality. Somewhat linked to the Dependent and Hypomaniac personalities
ENTJ: Strongly linked to the Compulsive personality. Somewhat linked to the Sadistic personality
ENFP: Strongly linked to the Histrionic personality. Somewhat linked to the Narcissistic, Hypomaniac and Borderline personalities
ENFJ: Strongly linked to the Narcissistic personality. Somewhat linked to the Histrionic and Avoidant personalities
ESTJ: Strongly linked to the Sadistic personality. Somewhat linked to the Compulsive personality
ESFJ: Strongly linked to the Compulsive personality. Somewhat linked to the Narcissistic and Dependent personalities
ESTP: Strongly linked to the Antisocial personality. Somewhat linked to the Narcissistic and Hypomaniac personalities
ESFP: Strongly linked to the Histrionic personality. Somewhat linked to the Hypomaniac personality
INTP: Strongly linked to the Schizotypal personality. Somewhat linked to the Schizoid personality
INTJ: Strongly linked to the Narcissistic personality. Somewhat linked to the Schizotypal personality
INFP: Strongly linked to the Avoidant personality. Somewhat linked to the Dependent, Histrionic and Negativistic personalities
INFJ: Strongly linked to the Dependent personality. Somewhat linked to the Depressive and Narcissistic personalities
ISTJ: Strongly linked to the Compulsive personality. Somewhat linked to the Schizoid personality
ISFJ: Strongly linked to the Dependent personality. Somewhat linked to the Compulsive personality
ISTP: Strongly linked to the Negativistic personality. Somewhat linked to the Antisocial personality
ISFP: Strongly linked to the Dependent personality. Somewhat linked to the Histrionic and Avoidant personalities

Anxiety I've struggled with. Depression not so much which is weird all things considering.

social anxiety

Used to have this from when I was about 17 - 28 or so. I believe mine came from caring too much about what other people thought about me. I would think in my head, this person may think this about me or they saw me acting in this way and thought this about me. Or, they know what I am thinking about them. Having an over active mind didnt help, it would turn into what I can only describe as a feed back loop and just keep building up.

Eventually with time I decided not to care. The world could think what it liked about me. I wasnt going to change and even if I could, no one can ever be what everyone wants. There is not a person on earth who can ever be liked by everyone or ever meet everyone's expectations. Its completely and totally impossible.

I believe that vast majority of anxiety is in your mind but its possible this isnt true for everyone.

Just be true to yourself. You are the person you have to spend the rest of your life with. Make sure you can sleep at night. :)

As a teenager, I used to have pretty common panic attacks. I'd probably attribute this to growing up with immense pressure from my parents and generally not being understood by them (They were STs.) They tried raising me in a very methodological manner which did more harm than good and it also made talking about my problems more difficult as I don't think they had the capacity to relate to relate to me - or at least, I didn't want to appear to be weak to them.

I can't relate to the social anxiety that is commonplace here. I've never really had trouble approaching social situations all too much and quite enjoy being given the chance to give speeches and such.

I am also severely hemophobic (fear of blood - but only my own)

I have suffered depression for years, from since when I was only 10... Finally healthy though! Also suffering from anxiety, panic attacks, oh you name it... Lol. Sometimes constant battle. :/