[INFJ] - Do any of you guys have depression/anxiety? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Do any of you guys have depression/anxiety?

Whether PSTD is curable depends on what one means by the word curable.

It is never possible to recover from any serious trauma in the sense of returning to baseline and then continuing to live exactly as if the trauma never occurred.

It is however quite possible to experience post traumatic growth, and end up better off than if the trauma had never occurred.

Whether PSTD is curable depends on what one means by the word curable.

It is never possible to recover from any serious trauma in the sense of returning to baseline and then continuing to live exactly as if the trauma never occurred.

It is however quite possible to experience post traumatic growth, and end up better off than if the trauma had never occurred.

Cured, to me, is when I'm free of my "survival mode." That's all that PTSD is to me. I was overwhelmed and never calmed down, and got stuck like that. That causes chronic anxiety, nightmares, panic, and depression. I read that an injection called stellate ganglion block fixes this (it diminishes the "nerve growth factor" which I referred to as the "survival mode") though it is still in experimental stages for PTSD.

I have had depression and anxiety since age 13. Is it common for INFJs? My biggest issues are social anxiety and post traumatic stress disorder and I have a couple of other anxiety disorders as well.

How on earth did you end up with PTSD at your age?

I had a short-term bout of it - mostly associated with a particular place I was ambushed by three guys with machetes. I suppose that if I ever visited that particular building again I might relapse.

I'm not sure if I've ever really felt depression. Anxiety yes. But not depression. People will read about their types but it won't ever really click because you can't force the unconscious to become conscious. If you're experiencing depression and/or anxiety, there is something beneath the surface generating that. (Of course, some are more prone towards certain coping mechanisms than others). Some types towards depression, others towards suppression which manifests in as anxiety.

I think it's obvious infjs are sensitive and I would go as far as intuitives generally speaking are more sensitive to the insults of the world towards their inner person (as children, and like wise, as adults). Only that, as children we need to learn to cope and find our place in the world around us. If you've a home that's supporting and loving, your still going to withstand psychological fractures. You have your heart set on some toy and it's denied and you have feelings of anger. You are taught to cope and your mind (that of a child) rationalizes and makes sense of the experience. Even as adults we may reevaluate our assessments and put them in a more appropriate perspective. But this doesn't mean we feel them and depending on the events. It is necessary to do so or the pattern will manifest over and over until you do. And if people don't truly love you, relationships won't withstand. Yet, chances are, they have their patterns to resolve as well.

We are all born smooth and soft and with life, experience happens. Depression and anxiety are buzz words to describe an accumulation of feelings under the surface. Wrinkles in our bed sheets created over time. Possibly some dirt from the time you crawled in at 2 in the morning trashed some odd number of years ago. Events you can barely recall. Or maybe crackers from when you were a child and hungry and so ate them forgetting the fact you'll be uncomfortable later. Only uncomfortable we are. Coping. And society dictates we "behave". Here. Take some meds to alleviate your depression or anxiety. Get back in line. Only when your soul is stubborn and crashes against stress with full force with passionate tenacity, seizing struggles, as opportunities, do we understand the point.

To make our beds. .. we all make our beds we lay in. And quite often, we learn as we go, collecting a nail or two. And we cause ourselves pain. Making life harder than it has to be. Because without the friction, there is no healing. And bed sheets smooth over time, with heat applied. It's a process. We often find we've overcome something, only to realize we've burnt a corner. The iron was too hot. We've forgot, slipped back in all of those spaces not meant to be occupied. So very few people I've met have I've looked into and saw, courage to conquer. Not overcome. To go through, not around. Again and again. Sometimes we take a break and rest in our current stupidity. And that's okay.

Depression and anxiety exists in all MBTI types. The struggle may just be more felt and thus, harder, for intuitive than not. But this may not be so. These conditions along with the intricate variables and variances are innately human. And they're only looked to as deficits for those to afraid to conquer the demons in their own souls. Studies over and over concur this is common place in the ground work of coping. Just as the severe homophobic is homosexual or has some sexual idiosyncrasies, the critical person against those weak, are doing so to prevent themselves from feeling weak themselves. And that's okay. Because they too, are human. And we are all doing the best we can, with what we've got, at any given point in time.

The only thing I can say is that for anyone who has anxiety or depression, to consider learning. Understanding. Take your time doing so. Then practice what we know. Again. Again. And again. Don't frivolously take meds to shut your somatic system up. If you can't focus, or can't sleep, or can't smile...it is your body speaking to you. Pain is your body telling asking you to help. And likewise for your mind. Try is all anyone can ever ask of anyone. This is a reasonable expectation. Avoiding or running in circles is treading a space full of nails. Waiting to plunge itself in your future. So while we might be rejected, experience loss, or look crazy ... it's worth it if you're trying. And that, is what doing the best you can is all about.

It's not the fall from Eden that's bad. There is no bad. It's apart of our human experience. the fall from Eden that brought us to life. Because it provides an opportunity, of choice. To get up. All of life, is catching on to your game. Your mind tricks and traps outdated hard wiring. Little by little, over the years, we learn to smell our own bullshit. And only then, will we be free to make better choices.

Last edited:
Try meditation and or NLP. Might help out a bit.

I have had depression and anxiety since age 13. Is it common for INFJs? My biggest issues are social anxiety and post traumatic stress disorder and I have a couple of other anxiety disorders as well.

De-press-ion hmm... Is that when the rat doesn't press the button to receive the food pellet and he dies? As opposed to pressing the button frantically until one depletes the food pellets dispersion and is forced to shit where one eats until inevitably one reaches the same demise? What if one concludes there is some dolt staring at you this entire time and seeing as the cage can't be destroyed at least that button sure can be.

Solution: Cannibalism http://tinyurl.com/peg7rf4 That finishes these studies hurrah for human kind's cognitive abilities.

Last edited:
I have found a strong link between the quality of the thoughts I have and any depression that feels like it is starting to set in. A string of negative thoughts invariably leads to a general feeling of sadness, sometimes coupled with anxiety. Depression isn't far off once the vulnerability is there. There is always a physical cause to depression. Having a genetic predisposition is the most physical cause of depression. Other causes include how you respond to obstacles that are either inside or outside your control. If it is something that you've struggled with your whole life and your overall life circumstances don't seem like they alone could cause depression, then medication is probably the only solution, as brain chemicals are ultimately reinforcing the depressive thoughts. However, if your depression was caused by a particular state of mind that you created, with or without realizing it, then you have to be able to change the way you think, to become more adaptive. You have to be careful though not to build a false sense of happiness. Happiness is not the opposite of depression. It really amounts to how incoming stimuli from your environment are being interpreted by your brain. Not letting certain perceptions to set in is the first step toward a self sustaining, resilient perception.

i dont have depression anymore, but when i was younger i was hospitalised a few times for acute episodes of depression, i was chronically depressed, and had complications, i was psychotic at times, eating disordered, and i had other problems that were related to my depression, such as my joints swelling up and becoming almost immobile, and agonising muscular pain. honestly i think that the most difficult thing for me now is that almost everyone i know finds it impossible to understand or believe how severely mentally ill ive been, so that i feel like a whole huge part of what makes up who i am is totally ignored by others. it took about ten years of hard work to resolve my health problems but it was worth it, its been a journey of discovery of a kind that most people never get a chance to go on. i still go through times when i think, everything is too much and i wish it would all end because i dont know how to go on. but in general i love my life. and im happy that i had the chance to experience those things because it enlarged my perspective and taught me so much. you just have to keep going, keep working through things and keep your eye on a meaningful future.

i think that saying PTSD is incurable is like saying change is incurable, its kind of meaningless. you can resolve some of your symptoms, manage others, and live a full and happy life. this process of moving towards living life fully is what we are all trying to do, whether we have PTSD or not - no one is "normal", we all need to adapt to life in various ways. im not trying to say that PTSD is an easy thing to deal with, because it definitely is not, but just that i think the statement "incurable" has little meaning.

Reactions: barbad0s
I'm so glad you're all feeling better! :)

Yeah, those are good insights. I actually became a deep thinker around the same time I got depressed (13). I'll look into that book, thank you. Overcoming depression might not happen for me because I have PTSD (which is incurable) and it causes depression. I do think I can improve my life a lot though and maybe overcome depression. Probably not until I'm married though. I'm on medication right now but it is not working yet.

PTSD can be cured; just not by conventional psychological techniques. PTSD can be cured by energy healing and bioenergetics therapy. It takes the wholeness of the human body as an energy system and works to release stored trauma and stuck emotions that keeps the body and the psychology from flowing with ease. There are other modalities that can help but any form of energy healing can help heal PTSD. Also holding beliefs that certain diseases and illnesses are incurable prevents healing because beliefs gives energy to emotions which gives rise to positive or negative emotions that fuels the sickness.

I have found a strong link between the quality of the thoughts I have and any depression that feels like it is starting to set in. A string of negative thoughts invariably leads to a general feeling of sadness, sometimes coupled with anxiety. Depression isn't far off once the vulnerability is there. There is always a physical cause to depression. Having a genetic predisposition is the most physical cause of depression. Other causes include how you respond to obstacles that are either inside or outside your control. If it is something that you've struggled with your whole life and your overall life circumstances don't seem like they alone could cause depression, then medication is probably the only solution, as brain chemicals are ultimately reinforcing the depressive thoughts. However, if your depression was caused by a particular state of mind that you created, with or without realizing it, then you have to be able to change the way you think, to become more adaptive. You have to be careful though not to build a false sense of happiness. Happiness is not the opposite of depression. It really amounts to how incoming stimuli from your environment are being interpreted by your brain. Not letting certain perceptions to set in is the first step toward a self sustaining, resilient perception.

I totally agree with this. It becomes a problem when people start to link their whole identity with depression or anxiety and cannot see themselves as individuals going through a challenging time period. The identification then leads to a self judgmental state of feeling worthless because of the thought patterns of "I have depression and it is incurable", or " I cannot escape from this depression", or "I must be not a normal person if I have depression", etc

Just the mere idea of strong thought patterns about experiencing depression can fuel the depressive state.

Depression is just an indicator that you are not in touch with all aspects of who you are; the heart,mind and body is disconnected somewhere and you are identifying yourself only through an illness that is completely curable and often times transitory. I am not saying it is easy but it helps to view the illness itself from a wider perspective and not get stuck on the symptoms of the illness. The stuck feeling or low energy that does not seem to be moving is a sign of disconnection.

The antidote to depression is always movement and activity because it breaks the monotony of low energy and feeling worthless. How you view and feel about yourself before experiencing depression will also tell you a lot about how to overcome it.

I think depression is kind of like hair. We all have some. Some of us have more or less than others. Some of us wear it longer than others do, and some wear it shorter than others do. We need to brush up on it every now and then and look in the mirror so we can appear better to others.

So, is losing interest in a lot of things a sign of depression to the shrinks, or can they look deeper into a soul?

I think depression is kind of like hair. We all have some. Some of us have more or less than others. Some of us wear it longer than others do, and some wear it shorter than others do. We need to brush up on it every now and then and look in the mirror so we can appear better to others.

i dont think thats exactly right. its true that everyone has problems and gets so blue sometimes they can hardly stand it. but i think depression as a complex mental health condition with a distinct symptom pattern is probably a meaningful distinction. i dont think everyone goes through it.

i dont think thats exactly right. its true that everyone has problems and gets so blue sometimes they can hardly stand it. but i think depression as a complex mental health condition with a distinct symptom pattern is probably a meaningful distinction. i dont think everyone goes through it.

Maybe you are right.

Reactions: invisible
How on earth did you end up with PTSD at your age?

I had a short-term bout of it - mostly associated with a particular place I was ambushed by three guys with machetes. I suppose that if I ever visited that particular building again I might relapse.

Why do you ask that like stuff never happens at 13?

There are also no "short term bouts" of PTSD. If you think that then you probably didn't actually have it.

Being freaked out and afraid, stressed and anxious after an event is not unusual and is not a disorder. However if it's an especially bad but still short term response, there's another term for that, which is called Acute Stress Disorder which carries many of the same symptoms of PTSD, but is more temporary.

I've always had the blues on and off over the years but eight years ago I had a fulled-fledged depression and I can tell you that it was completely different because it was just as much physical as emotional. My world had fallen down around me and I felt totally powerless but just kept trudging through and one day I realized that I couldn't have any positive feelings. It was just like there was a heavy blanket over my feelings and they couldn't rise above the numbness. I remember being surrounded by happy kids and smiling and waving at them which normally would have been a situation that really boosts my mood but even though I could pretend I could not feel anything except a 'heaviness'. I'm a very responsible person and a lot of people depended on me so I didn't stop functioning but I was on automatic.

I believe most people will have the blues but I don't think that everybody goes through a depression. My husband likes to tell me that I put myself in a depression because of my thought patterns but I'm a pretty resiliant and optimistic person overall so I think that for me it was the buildup of stress hormones due to the powerlessness of my situation.

Once I realized that I was in a depression I started taking care of myself, excercising and getting out to do things even when I didn't feel like it and eventually the fog lifted.

A few years ago I could feel that I was headed towards a similar situation so I took things into my own hands and implimented some new things into my life to stop it and it worked. I am now in a stressful situation but I try to spot the ways I can retain control so I don't end up powerless.

I have a feeling that every story of depression is different and this is just mine as I experienced it.

[MENTION=9809]La Sagna[/MENTION]

Yes, I look at it this way:

Depression or PTSD are like my bad hip that I have in a way. It's not just feeling blue. It's not just the temporary pain you get when you hit your toe on something. That's normal shit. Rather this is something that people live with.

I have a bad hip, foot problems, some times it bothers my knees and my back gets screwed up from it too. I also have arthritis. It's something that I live with but is not something that defeats me because I still walk everywhere as much as I can and I deal with it in the best way possible. This is why I eat many oranges because the vitamins help with the symptoms and help with collagen, and have the side benefit of also helping with depression by giving a bit of a boost. Is that cured? No, that's living well.

Depression, anxiety and PTSD are the same way even though they aren't "physical". You can have it, it can be a hindrance at times, but that doesn't mean a person who has it is necessarily letting it walk all over their life. This is how it can be a thing without somebody just being weak and over emotional. Some times having it and living well actually means you are strong.

[MENTION=9809]La Sagna[/MENTION]

Yes, I look at it this way:

Depression or PTSD are like my bad hip that I have in a way. It's not just feeling blue. It's not just the temporary pain you get when you hit your toe on something. That's normal shit. Rather this is something that people live with.

I have a bad hip, foot problems, some times it bothers my knees and my back gets screwed up from it too. I also have arthritis. It's something that I live with but is not something that defeats me because I still walk everywhere as much as I can and I deal with it in the best way possible. This is why I eat many oranges because the vitamins help with the symptoms and help with collagen, and have the side benefit of also helping with depression by giving a bit of a boost. Is that cured? No, that's living well.

Depression, anxiety and PTSD are the same way even though they aren't "physical". You can have it, it can be a hindrance at times, but that doesn't mean a person who has it is necessarily letting it walk all over their life. This is how it can be a thing without somebody just being weak and over emotional. Some times having it and living well actually means you are strong.

I like your analogy. Yes, I do think what I experienced was something like that. It did have some control over me but I still managed and I think it's because I am very strong. That's why it makes me so mad when I'm told that I was depressed because I'm weak minded and pessimistic. That is complete ignorance and really upsets me because I know that what I did to get out of the depression took a lot of strength.

So, is losing interest in a lot of things a sign of depression to the shrinks, or can they look deeper into a soul?

Doesn't really matter what shrinks think. If they were correct then why are there so many people depressed? I agree that it is a look deeper into oneself. Losing interest in things could be that you are grinding onto something that no longer serves you or gives you meaning. I think the meaningless part is always a sign that you are doing something that does not resonate with you on a deeper level and the origin of why you do those meaningless things gives clue to what causes depression. Often times it is because we are doing things for others or we think we "should" do them instead of doing things that are personally meaningful. Doing personally meaningful activities will always grind others gears because you are taking control and not letting other people and society dictate your happiness.

Doesn't really matter what shrinks think. If they were correct then why are there so many people depressed? I agree that it is a look deeper into oneself. Losing interest in things could be that you are grinding onto something that no longer serves you or gives you meaning. I think the meaningless part is always a sign that you are doing something that does not resonate with you on a deeper level and the origin of why you do those meaningless things gives clue to what causes depression. Often times it is because we are doing things for others or we think we "should" do them instead of doing things that are personally meaningful. Doing personally meaningful activities will always grind others gears because you are taking control and not letting other people and society dictate your happiness.

Agreed. However, we sometimes find ourselves out of place when we do not do things for others. It is a balancing act not to let get too one-sided.