Direct report from the Madison, WI Union Protests! | INFJ Forum

Direct report from the Madison, WI Union Protests!

Chessie

Community Member
Apr 5, 2010
MBTI
INfJ
Wow, what a day. I was at the protests today in Madison. They've got an incredible energy to them that has prevailed over the last several days and all I hear from my friends right now is their plans to swell the number of persons showing up.

The Tea Party and their corporate backers were there but there weren't many of them and you could tell they'd been assembled and trained in their tasks. All of their signs were identical. Their presence was to make trouble, not to actually hold a genuine protest. These people were too careful. They didn't engage with anyone and didn't get involved directly. They're not like any of the conservative protesters I've seen anywhere else. Conservatives shout slogans and shriek over loud-speakers. These people just held their signs.

The Rotunda of the capital building was packed, shoulder to shoulder, with hundreds of people on all three levels. The place was full of a fantastic strength and resolve that I have trouble describing. I suppose I always fear for protests like this. Right now the government is effectively shut down in Wisconsin and thank the gods for it. Men like Walker should be banned from holding power at the door due to severe mental illness. Nobody wants the kind of job this man has without being a power addict.

I am waiting for the conservative elements of this government to do something stupid. God I hope they do it at precisely the wrong moment, when the energy is high. All it will take is one dead protester or one good riot because Walker got impatient and this movement will sweep the country.

I've not heard anything of this, googling it now. What's going on over there?

Governor Jim Walker is attempting to remove collective bargaining rights from public employees in Wisconsin as well as forcing them to pay for slightly more than 12% of their healthcare and pensions (essentially cutting into their pay in a huge way).

He's doing all of this in the name of fixing a budget shortfall which he created by initiating three tax breaks immediately after he was elected. The previous governor left him with a surplus.