Direct or Indirect communication styles for INFJs? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Direct or Indirect communication styles for INFJs?

What are some examples of direct and indirect communication?

Direct communication style is easy to spot. They directly tell you what they want you to do, e.g. "Wash the cup", "Throw the rubbish away", "Put it over there".
The indirect/informative style kinda goes in a roundabout way, e.g. "The music is a little loud", "The light is green", "I think the tissue shouldn't be left on the chair".

IJs are apparently more comfortable using direct comm style while IPs are not. IJs may also sometimes not understand "hints" by IPs. So e.g. the IP wants you to prepare dinner tonight, he/she may say, "We need someone to help prepare dinner" not directly stating that he/she wants you to do it. But if it's coming from an IJ, he/she may say, "Can you help to prepare dinner tonight?"

It is not to say IJs don't use indirect style and vice-versa, it's more about the preferred or more comfortable style.

I know I use direct comm style a lot. I only use indirect style with people I'm unsure of - i.e. those who might get offended if I directly ask them to do something.

Direct communication style is easy to spot. They directly tell you what they want you to do, e.g. "Wash the cup", "Throw the rubbish away", "Put it over there".
The indirect/informative style kinda goes in a roundabout way, e.g. "The music is a little loud", "The light is green", "I think the tissue shouldn't be left on the chair".

IJs are apparently more comfortable using direct comm style while IPs are not. IJs may also sometimes not understand "hints" by IPs. So e.g. the IP wants you to prepare dinner tonight, he/she may say, "We need someone to help prepare dinner" not directly stating that he/she wants you to do it. But if it's coming from an IJ, he/she may say, "Can you help to prepare dinner tonight?"

It is not to say IJs don't use indirect style and vice-versa, it's more about the preferred or more comfortable style.

I know I use direct comm style a lot. I only use indirect style with people I'm unsure of - i.e. those who might get offended if I directly ask them to do something.

I'm terrible at understanding indirect communication. So this may be very stupid question, but what's the direct communication translation of "The light is green."

Reactions: Wyote
what's the direct communication translation of "The light is green."
(adsbygoogle=window.adsbygoogle||[]).push({});

It is usually said when the traffic lights are green as a command for the driver to stop dreaming and get going. It might even be interpreted as a passive agressive comment, depending on the tone of the deliverance.

So, the direct translation would be: "For God's sake, go!"

It is usually said when the traffic lights are green as a command for the driver to stop dreaming and get going. It might even be interpreted as a passive agressive comment, depending on the tone of the deliverance.

So, the direct translation would be: "For God's sake, go!"

Yes, that was so obvious. All I could think of was standing in a green lit room, in some Twins Peakean realm where a man slowly whispers "The light is green".

Correct in my experience. I use "hints" simply because I feel they convey more nuance with less effort. Ne plays a strong role in that.

When I'm compelled to speak "directly" I often come across rather more harshly than I intended. Perhaps this is because IPs lead with a strong Judging function (Ti or Fi) so when those judgments are loosed upon the world unfiltered they sound cold and finite. In truth, I am constantly re-examining judgments that my Ti presents as "possibly factual." So even when I sound really certain often I'm not.

Dear INFJs,

Do you all speak with direct or indirect communication?

Upon reflection I find that it varies by case. When I have a desire I am very indirect because I don't want to impose my wishes on other people. More often than not I speak very directly, especially when morality is on the line and someone else has crossed that line. When someone has ignited passionate thoughts in me I am very blunt, honest, and outspoken.

Reactions: PastelpinkPuppy
Upon reflection I find that it varies by case. When I have a desire I am very indirect because I don't want to impose my wishes on other people. More often than not I speak very directly, especially when morality is on the line and someone else has crossed that line. When someone has ignited passionate thoughts in me I am very blunt, honest, and outspoken.
Agree with this.

Message in a bottle. F--king slow, but it is worth the effort. :mcunni: :m131:

giphy.gif