Direct or Indirect communication styles for INFJs? | INFJ Forum

Direct or Indirect communication styles for INFJs?

I'm pretty sure this has been a topic here before but I'm too lazy to dig for it.

Anyway, infjs tend toward a direct style with a soft approach. I'd say this is true for myself.

Direct so as to get my point across, but phrased in such a way as not to be hurtful.

I used to be even more direct, perhaps blunt, but I noticed that it could upset people (including myself when on the receiving end) so I have softened my communication over time. I find that since I've softened it my communication has been more efficient and impactful.

Last edited:
Dear INFJs,

Do you all speak with direct or indirect communication?
For the most part I'd say that direct communication comes most natural to me, however, being able to adapt to any situation is key and I find both direct and indirect communication are useful depending upon the situation and the goals of communication.

I sometimes tend to miss subtle language, taking it literally, especially when I don't know a person very well. It follows naturally that I am very direct, but I am also softer and more playful depending on the social environment. I use indirect communication but it really differs from situation to situation, and it is not my favoured mode of communication.

It is as it always is, it depends on the intention and the connection to the person you are talking to.

For the most part I'd say that direct communication comes most natural to me, however, being able to adapt to any situation is key and I find both direct and indirect communication are useful depending upon the situation and the goals of communication.
This!

Ist

Is it more of a telling the truth kind of communication? Rather than saying it does look good on the person?
It may be more of a truth kind of communication... I figure if they really want to know what I think, I'll tell them. If they really just want someone to agree with them or like what they like, they'll ask somebody else next time...

I know I believe in calling a thing a thing....

Ist

Is it more of a telling the truth kind of communication? Rather than saying it does look good on the person?

All assertions ought to be truthful according to the Gricean maxims. However, you can still lie both directly or indirectly.

Ist

It has more to do with the way you structure requests and responses. Direct tends toward asking outright (demanding) and responding succinctly (devoid of emotion) with finality in mind. Indirect tends to phrase requests with emotional padding and/or statements open to interpretation, while forming responses in either emotionally padded or removed ways as well as being comfortably open ended.

We all employ both sort of simultaneously but one tends to edge out the other or feel more comfortable to use.

It has more to do with the way you structure requests and responses. Direct tends toward asking outright (demanding) and responding succinctly (devoid of emotion) with finality in mind. Indirect tends to phrase requests with emotional padding and/or statements open to interpretation, while forming responses in either emotionally padded or removed ways as well as being comfortably open ended..

"Statements open to interpretation" ... "Comfortably open ended..."

wheres-my-bazooka.jpg

Let's go for ice cream. (D)

Gee, I would really like an ice cream. (ID)

I would like to get some ice cream right now, or else. (IDD)

I would like to get some ice cream right now, or else. (IDD)
I would like to get some ice cream right now... or else I'll tell him everything.