Differential equation solutions | A complex number became a real number? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Differential equation solutions | A complex number became a real number?

Banging head against wall.

I keep thinking there is a fundamental problem with human math. It think the problem lay in the rules. Numbers should not be able to change then change back. They need to be what they are or change when affected.

Banging head against wall.

I keep thinking there is a fundamental problem with human math. It think the problem lay in the rules. Numbers should not be able to change then change back. They need to be what they are or change when affected.

Actual numbers never change. General konstants, however, may "change" our perspectives on this, since they are... general. They are konstants, yes, they don't change, but nevertheless they are general, so it can be what ever number you come up with, and so it feels as if it changes whenever you shift perspective.

So... I understand your problem, but disagree on the conclusion. I find it very interesting with the abstract and philosophical aspects of math :)

The point is that we do this in language all the time. We talk about a "chair" as if it's a konstant thing, and it is, but if we haven't explicitly defined what chair we are talking about (this chair, the one I sit on, for example), we talk about a general chair, and they can look a lot different from eachother. A "chair" and a "number" is a general word for something we haven't defined yet wich chair or number we're talking about. So it keeps "changing".

Last edited: