Did Mary Sin | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Did Mary Sin

I read somewhere that some believe humans are born into sin. If true, did not both Mary and Jesus sin?

I read somewhere that some believe humans are born into sin. If true, did not both Mary and Jesus sin?

Hey! Me and at least 100 million other protestants believe in original sin and that everyone sins - even Jesus and Mary. Check out the five solae here if you want to know more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_solae

It states that there are 5 "only" sentences which exclude everything that doesn't involve Jesus or God directly.

To grossly summarize/generalize our beliefs, we believe that human thought is plagued with sin. We were born sinful, seeing as how we were cast out of the garden of eden, and we will never be able to undo all of the sinning that we are entangled in. It's a good thing that Jesus then came and forgave us all on God's behalf. We're all "saved" in the eyes of God now after Jesus died. Sola gratia - we can only ever be saved by the grace of the Lord, which was given to us through Jesus. Hope that answers some of your questions :)

The Gospel is what they preached. The books are named after the message; not the other way around.

And yes, excommunication has been a feature of the Church since the earliest days.

I think the saint you mention may have been St Augustine writing in lament about his life as a manichean heretic before he converted - I think he was living in a defacto relationship before he met St Ambrose, who instructed him in the faith. He also writes at length about the tears of St Monica, his mother who prayed for his conversion. Obviously he is not a saint on account of his sinful life and heresy before his conversion, but because of his fidelity in thought, word and deed after it.

Sorry the snark can be hard to control sometimes, let's ignore Augustine and I'm guessing you're remarks are against Luther though I'm not terribly up to date on that part of Church history. My point is that pointing out flaws isn't grounds for removal from the subject. Much in the same way you find it hard to believe that Luther couldn't reconcile his urges with his faith, I find it that Augustine had a hard time reconciling his Gnostic upbringings with his understanding of Christ. But that's neither here nor there.

My point being that Scripture was written from the early days of the church as a way for the church to defines and refine it'self it contain the gospel uninterrupted by man. And While Paul appointed Elders, they weren't apostles and were perfectly capable of mucking up Paul's instructions(apparently some of them were quite good at it for Paul to have to write so many letters).

The Old Testament is used as the written words of God long before Christ had come, though it was not left to the sole interpretation of the chief priest, it was still the words which Governed the Hebrew people. That's history the followed through in the New Testament, God gave us written words of his Word so that we all may have it and know it and aren't left to the traditions and mistakes of the old priesthood. Instead were all now the priesthood.