Diagnosing Others | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Diagnosing Others

Do you think it's a good idea to take what you've learned of psychology to diagnose others or make diagnostic suggestions either IRL or online?
No. To offer knowelege to another and let them decide, yes. However, there is a fine line between 'diagnosing' and answering solicited questions.

If you have a degree/qualifications and are a clinician, have you or would you do this--especially when it is not solicited?

Is it ethical to do this? No, I don't believe that one should do more than offer support.

What do you think are the Pros and Cons of doing this? Some would understandably take offense at being labeled with an evaluation they didn't request. Again, stressing being supportive and allowing the other to decide.

How should you go about it if you suspect an issue? It would depend on if the person wants tge involvement from you.
This is a really great set of questions. :) Thank you for bringing them to light. I've often wondered if my sharing information is obtrusive or indeed helpful when a person solicites it from me. Often sharing well wishes and the tag line "in the end, only you know what you need and what is best for you". I believe in this way perhaps the person may find value in my knowledge of a thing, or at best look for their own answers from more a credible source. All-in-all I try to ensure they are treated respectfully. :D

It's annoying when it happens to me. First, the other person is almost always completely and utterly wrong about their diagnosis. And second, the only time it seems to happen is in an adhomenim.

I think lay-people often know more than the MDs/PhDs, thanks to Google.

No disrespect @SuperManda but I think your work is essentially risk assessment. Your job is screening not treatment. I'm not devaluing your work. I'd see that as a very big responsibility.

@Wonky Oracle is correct - that's the way diagnosis is reached, careful assessment, usually peer reviewed, to ascertain treatment. It's very rare to label or share with patients. Unless that's viewed as being helpful to the subject.

I don't mean to undermine that field or professionals in it. In my sketchy unqualified view, I think we'll see neurology and infection, as being far more involved than maybe was previously realised.

Instead of simply calling people "psychopaths" or whatever, we'll reach a deeper understanding of what's happened.

But I think proper diagnosis takes time, care and thorough assessment. It includes prudent oversight, not online assessment, or via Google.

Doesn't it take a while to diagnose others and do you not think you would need to meet them in person before even attempting it?

Reactions: acd
Personally, I think anyone who goes around diagnosing others on a whim is negligent and idiotic. You can have your own opinions of people, but you shouldn't go around claiming to have a valid diagnosis of Anything about them if you are not their psychologist, especially if it is unsolicited. To do so is only to benefit the one claiming these things; feeding their ego and giving them a false sense of power and authority. It's laughable.

Nope. No matter how good your intuition may be, you're likely not getting a complete picture of the person based on their online persona, even if you can correctly apply the diagnostic criteria. That's not to say it's impossible. It just isn't responsible. There are labels and stigma associated with diagnoses that can have a really powerful effect on people inasmuch as how they perceive themselves, and how others perceive them.

Aside from this, I think it's important that someone who is actually diagnosing has dealt with a variety of mental illnesses and had related supervision. That doesn't make their decisions infallible by any means, but I'd personally be more trusting of someone who's put in a lot of time piecing together relevant information through direct in-person interaction than someone whose entire experience is via classrooms, google, or other media. Psychology, clinical social work, and MFT internships tend to build this experience into higher learning and subsequent employment.

Excellent post!

I find myself having gone through somewhat of a very long grieving process when I was diagnosed and dealing with that. It took an exorbitant amount of time to "accept" that I had a mental illness. This is something that is no joke! If someone believes themselves to have a mental illness, and this is often done from paranoia, without getting an actual diagnosis, it can be very debilitating even in thinking you have something that affects the mind. For me, my first thought was a feeling of shame - that something was inherently wrong with me. Shame is not a good emotion, it is ugly and debilitating and takes a lot of work (with a therapist) to get over. I recently found out that I deal with something called "toxic shame" as said by my therapist. He discovered that I have Toxic shame and that its root is in feeling incapable. Its catalyst in some sense, was because of the fact that even at a young age my brain worked differently than other kids. Being diagnosed with ADHD in the summer between 5th and 6th grade, this gave it a name, but that didn't make it easier. I felt demoralized knowing I had something wrong with me. I was put on what is called a 504 plan in school. This didn't help matters because of the shame I had and the pride that ensued. What transpired what a pride and feeling that I had to be utterly independent to pretty much everything, especially when it came to learning. I had to be the one to figure things out without anyone helping me. Let me tell you this is just not how humans are supposed to live. I am still working with my therapist currently to help me get over some of these debilitating effects of toxic shame and the pride that ensued. This is just for my ADHD diagnosis. I have another mental illness that is much less common. I might talk about that later once I feel more comfortable here.

I know it has come up here before, we talk a lot about mental health and personal struggles here. I'm curious what other people's thoughts on this are. Do you think it's a good idea to take what you've learned of psychology to diagnose others or make diagnostic suggestions either IRL or online?

If you have a degree/qualifications and are a clinician, have you or would you do this--especially when it is not solicited? Is it ethical to do this?

What do you think are the Pros and Cons of doing this? How should you go about it if you suspect an issue?

Hi, it's Loki the shy one abstracting;
I seem so shy & reclusive on the surface, but really it's only because of my careful, calm; assertive/Intuitive nature. (I'm always looking to head stress off at the pass, to keep from unnecessarily disturbing my peaceful centre....)
For me, balance is the key, so in my opinion there's a fine line to everything; all good comes with equivalent evils. The bad must somehow counterbalance the good in order to stay emotionally healthy and mentally stable.

I just wanted to comment about what you were saying about diagnosing people. Well in my opinion diagnosing people is sacred ground or basically should be treated like that.. Actually the American Psychiatric Association considers it unethical to make a concrete /stereotypical diagnosis on someone without face to face analysis, establishing a real feeling value for the analyse. I think it's one of our infj gifts that should only be used to protect ourselves in extreme situations, or to help others we really care about.. (But never out of greed or for profit) Other than that; I won't fully commit to analyzing someone because it simply takes up way too much of my emotional/psychic energy. I'll say goodbye on that note & keep it short and simple, to keep from needless ellaborations, eventually turning into hysterical nonsense.

Have a great night/Day!
with Blessings!!
My infj Kindred Spirits
P•E•A•C•E

Reactions: acd
I'm pretty sure I suffer from numerous and numerous personality disorders. If we were to diagnose, you could probably come up with 100,000 x 10 +1.

I also got 99 problems and procrastination is one of them.

Anywho, this still does not stop me from owning a PS4 with a HDMI cable, plugged into an 80 inch flatscreen tv. :p. So I don't really care. :tongueclosed:

Nor does it stop me from causally trying to creep up on @Milktoast Bandit mama. :kissingclosed:

You're an inspiration and an example to the community.

I sure hope you've had a splendid weekend.

I really am. And I mean that in the most narcissistic way possible. I am so brave and amazing. Absolutely incredible. When I woke up Saturday morning, the weekend said to me, "Now that you're here, I'll be splendid," and indeed it has been quite splendid. The weekend knows better. If it is anything less than splendid I will obliterate it. So it is splendid out of respect. The weekend respects me because I'm it's inspiration...