Diagnosing Others | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Diagnosing Others

I really am. And I mean that in the most narcissistic way possible. I am so brave and amazing. Absolutely incredible. When I woke up Saturday morning, the weekend said to me, "Now that you're here, I'll be splendid," and indeed it has been quite splendid. The weekend knows better. If it is anything less than splendid I will obliterate it. So it is splendid out of respect. The weekend respects me because I'm it's inspiration...
Indeed!

It's only showing off if you can't back it up.

However I would advise against self Diagnosis, you seem perfectly level headed to me. Modest to.

Girls wanna date you and guys wanna be you, it's quite the achievement.

Indeed!

It's only showing off if you can't back it up.

However I would advise against self Diagnosis, you seem perfectly level headed to me. Modest to.

Girls wanna date you and guys wanna be you, it's quite the achievement.

Don't tell me what to do, but keep the compliments coming. Level headed-ness and modesty are two of my top 100 greatest qualities.

Don't tell me what to do, but keep the compliments coming. Level headed-ness and modesty are two of my top 100 greatest qualities.
I do beg your forgiveness, I was not trying to tell his greatness what to do, that would be over stepping the line. I'm just blown away by your purity and holiness. Especially in a sea of pervs, fake degree mongers and parasitic bunny boilers with crocodile tears. To be in the presence of such.....majesty!

I forget myself!

What's going on here?

Last edited:
@Wonky Oracle. If @Milktoast Bandit gets too inflated you know what to do, send him over to me. :wink:
Coach-Mick-Mcarthy-Look-at-Camera-Smile.gif

There are things I don't understand. It's amazing how often that coincides with the things I don't want to understand.

I think that diagnostic labels in general are nonsense. Their main purpose is to aid the section of the pharmaceutical industry that produces psychotropic medications (because more labels means more drugs prescribed). Otherwise they can be used as weapons against a person legally and professionally.

I think they are also dehumanizing as well. Once you're given a particular label, clinicians will come to see you as that label instead of as a person. These labels do a poor job of capturing all of the symptoms or issues a person may be experiencing, and they also ignore life circumstances of that person. That is because they do not care about what a person is dealing with or what really caused the issue; all they care about is reducing that person to problem with a particular solution, namely medication.

I think treatment should be focused around symptoms instead of these overarching often heavy stigmatized labels. And to answer the question, I do not really see the value in diagnosing people via the internet or even in person really regardless of whether or not one is a clinician (aside from getting insurance to pay of course). The problem is that therapists and doctors often deal with heavy caseloads and do not have time to actually get to know a person, so it is easier to see them a little bit and slap a label on them, then throw one of the supposedly easy fixes at them like CBT or medication. It is way too haphazard to catch the nuances of what people are dealing with and treat them appropriately, though I understand why many clinicians don't have much of a choice.

I think that diagnostic labels in general are nonsense. Their main purpose is to aid the section of the pharmaceutical industry that produces psychotropic medications (because more labels means more drugs prescribed). Otherwise they can be used as weapons against a person legally and professionally.

I think they are also dehumanizing as well. Once you're given a particular label, clinicians will come to see you as that label instead of as a person. These labels do a poor job of capturing all of the symptoms or issues a person may be experiencing, and they also ignore life circumstances of that person. That is because they do not care about what a person is dealing with or what really caused the issue; all they care about is reducing that person to problem with a particular solution, namely medication.

I think treatment should be focused around symptoms instead of these overarching often heavy stigmatized labels. And to answer the question, I do not really see the value in diagnosing people via the internet or even in person really regardless of whether or not one is a clinician (aside from getting insurance to pay of course). The problem is that therapists and doctors often deal with heavy caseloads and do not have time to actually get to know a person, so it is easier to see them a little bit and slap a label on them, then throw one of the supposedly easy fixes at them like CBT or medication. It is way too haphazard to catch the nuances of what people are dealing with and treat them appropriately, though I understand why many clinicians don't have much of a choice.

While I agree with a lot of what you say, I still think a diagnosis can be helpful. Like the MBTI, it can be a starting point to understanding yourself, or the problems you face. Just treating the symptoms doesn't always work. If, say, a person experiences ADHD, then simply treating the hyperactivity or the difficulty controlling behavior without an understanding of the underlying reasons will only lead to a short term solution. And also leave the person clueless as to why they react this way.

As you mentioned, a diagnosis can just become a label, an easy way for doctors or mental health practitioners to force all your symptoms under the one umbrella. That's definitely a worry. But the other side of the coin is a system where the lack of a broader understanding can lead to pointless treatments, and unhealthy coping mechanisms. This can happen anyway, but at least with a diagnosis there's a place to start.

Like I said, I do agree with a lot of your post. But the problems you bring up aren't because of diagnosis', they're due to shitty practitioners, an over reliance on medication, and a profit before people approach. If you've got a good therapist who knows their stuff and is open-minded, then I believe a diagnosis can be a huge benefit.

giphy.gif

A true gem this one.

Eventhorizon said:
There are things I don't understand.
It's amazing how often that coincides with the things I don't want to understand.

I almost want a tattoo of that quote.