Derail This Thread | Page 46 | INFJ Forum

Derail This Thread

Do they have cellular phones in Australia yet?

They came in just the other week. But we call them mobile phones here. Whereas the term cellular describes the physical properties of the phone - it is cellular, mobile describes the functional property of the phone - it is mobile. It's all about functions here.

They came in just the other week. But we call them mobile phones here. Whereas the term cellular describes the physical properties of the phone - it is cellular, mobile describes the functional property of the phone - it is mobile. It's all about functions here.

Mostly we're just extra lazy, so we got rid of all those pesky syllables and simply call them "cell phones." Really, landlines are becoming so rare that cells are pretty much just "phones" now. Also, given that a cellular network is "a communication network where the last link is wireless," it's kinda essentially saying the same thing. Wireless, mobile, etc.

Mostly we're just extra lazy, so we got rid of all those pesky syllables and simply call them "cell phones." Really, landlines are becoming so rare that cells are pretty much just "phones" now. Also, given that a cellular network is "a communication network where the last link is wireless," it's kinda essentially saying the same thing. Wireless, mobile, etc.

Ohhhhh. I see! You've taught me what I assume I should have possessed under the file common knowledge! lol.

And I should have said, we simply say "mobile": i.e. "Gottcha mobile, Dan?" Although "cell phone" is used by some who have been touched by the forefinger of Abraham Lincoln :S

Likewise, landlines are almost rare now here as well. But out here in the country we need one!

My phone has wheels. Mobile. I keep it in a cage. Cellular. meh...

Why does that sound so wrong...

Like I should be asking Abe to keep his fingers away from me...

The finger of anti-monarchical patriarchal capitalism. Get some!

@owl I'll give you a synopsis, one guy wakes up in the boot of a car, another on the roof of the house, one of them has their undies on over their pants,...there's chaos and debris everywhere - like a lot of stuff littered around everywhere. The third guy wakes up next to a pool as someone calls him, and he falls in. Pretty good party the night before, or something in the water?

^Despite that I've maybe missed the most essential point?

Reactions: Night Owl
I thought "cell phone" was just what it was called in the US? It's "mobile" where I am.

Honestly, Abe has the most capable fingers.

I like how you slipped that "honest" in there... which is not how I feel about Abe's fing...

Nevermind.

I thought "cell phone" was just what it was called in the US? It's "mobile" where I am.

Yeah pretty much, we were just discussing and pondering the "why" behind the names.

I like how you slipped that "honest" in there... which is not how I feel about Abe's fing...

Nevermind.

Hehehe... Abe... very capable fingers. very capable.

Reactions: hush
we call "cell phones" or "mobiles" here cp. hue hue hue. too lazy i guess. and landline here is still important. :p

in Mongolia cell/mobile phones are "hand phones" vs. "home phones"

also the words for phone and string are the same ... which can be confusing sometimes.

in Mongolia cell/mobile phones are "hand phones" vs. "home phones"

also the words for phone and string are the same ... which can be confusing sometimes.

Here's a mis-translation (factoring in the above dual-word) of a Mongolian dialogue:

Guy 1: "I always carry my string in my back pocket."

Guy 2: "What? Why would you carry your string in your back pocket?"

Guy 1: "You know. It just comes in handy. Like in an emergency or if I want to sustain my relationship with my mother."

Guy 2: "How on earth could your string help you sustain your relationship with your mother?"

Guy 1: "Well you know! I use my string and she uses her string, and we put it on our ears and start talking."

Guy 2: "You must look like an idiot when you do that. That's the stupidest thing I ever heard."

Guy 1: "I'll string the police if you don't get out of my face."

Guy 2: "What's hanging the police going to achieve you sick $@#%!?

Guy 1: "What? I wouldn't hang up on the police until I'd finished talking with them you twit!"

Guy 2: "You'd wait to string them up only after you'd finished talking with them? What, like torturing them? Interrogating them" What the heck..."

Guy 1: "I don't know about torture or interrogation, I'm quite friendly when using my string. And I've got no idea what on earth you're on about, you string someone up to talk to them, not after talking with them! Otherwise there would be dead silence."

Guy 2: *runs away

Hahahahaha...I love it @Night Owl!

Other fun Mongolian mix ups I've had are with words that are one letter off resulting in me once complimenting a woman on her beautiful testicals, and another time telling a group of people how I once ate human eyeballs.