Indie.J

Community Member
Jul 10, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
infj
Well my friend now has a boyfriend :)

Except he claims to have depersonalisation disoder which I find believable because whenever I have been around him he seems almost completely emotionally detached.
It's sort of an air of "I don't care" or "I'm here because I don't really find it particularly disagreeable"

So I'm left wondering... how does a relationship like that really work. Is it a case of "you support me so I'll support you". Or can he genuinely like people if he works at it? (he says he can't feel for anyone)

I think it'd be hard to be in a relationship you don't recieve affection from, so then is being there for eachother what makes the company worth while?

Also the description of how people with this mental disoder percieve things really interests me. Alot have been known to describe it as like being in a movie or watching somebody else's life, or feeling as though they don't have any control over what they're saying. It would be strange to feel this way on a constant basis.

http://www.psychnet-uk.com/dsm_iv/depersonalization_disorder.htm

hmmm.....................................:m125:.... just thinking.

Yeah definitely.
I feel there are similarities between us but you know, with the whole depersonalization thing he doesn't feel like being social and I'm not one to chase people down.
My friend hardly spends anytime with our group anymore coz of the awkward atmosphere. :(

I think it's just his own personality. Maybe you need to get to know him more.

Except he claims to have depersonalisation disoder which I find believable because whenever I have been around him he seems almost completely emotionally detached.
It's sort of an air of "I don't care" or "I'm here because I don't really find it particularly disagreeable"

I think I may be this person in my own relationships. And I agree with Shai about it possibly being a sign of an INTJ personality, which I myself have struggled with.

I can tell you that for me when it comes to meeting new people outside a certain few, I'm often described as how you stated above, except, not near so kindly. And this is going to sound awful, and snotty, but I have to admit it because I'm realizing how true it is for me. I'm not really interested in the personalities of other people...not just for the sake of getting to know them. For the most part, I find other people exhausting because I find their company boring and a waste of my energy. And it's not so much as judging them as being boring individuals or whatever, I just feel like I'm having the SAME conversations with the same people, over and over, hearing the same stories, the same places, the same reasons, the same jokes... and it gets old fast.

Unless they're changing the world or doing something revolutionary that can tap into my emotions or get me excited, I kinda don't care. I need a very strong emotional/spiritual pull in order to even start new relationships, so if it's not there, it feels pointless. It's not personal to anyone, it's just a ridiculous standard that I inflict upon myself and others. :D

Well, don't be so quick to label INTJs as completely detached. I'm related to a few, and I have even more as friends...they don't tend to connect emotionally as quickly, but to say they completely lack affection is quite a stretch.

He might be INTJ, but that wouldn't really write off his reactions, at least not if he's like that constantly

Yeah, I realise INTJs aren't completely emotionally detached but it's the label of depersonalization disorder that gets me, but I'm starting to think that thats just a way he's described himself... I don't think he's actually been professionally diagnosed but anyway. What Black Swan described above is pretty much how I see relationships as well which is why I think I'm sensing a similarity to this person. I can see him constantly analyzing. It's him who's mentioned he's completely incapable of attachment but my friend and him seem to get along fine and I think it's more a case of people just aren't interesting enough for him. He also admits he's weird.

Is your friend getting help with this? Obviously it is distressing trying to have a relationship like that.

Not help as such but she asked us all about it from the very beginning which is why I'm asking you guys for more imput so I can be there for her with a bit more perspective.