Death throes of liberal America. | Page 19 | INFJ Forum

Death throes of liberal America.

No, it spins into destruction because the people in power lead it there. The common "majority" has no ability to do anything substantial or meaningful in most of the world. The very few people with the most money and thus the most power dictate all, generally to their own self-centered ends.

No, it quite flatly isn't. Many people have no interest whatsoever in doing things that make rational sense. They're much more interested in listening to and following agendas that someone much higher up on the food chain has specifically crafted for them, for specific purposes that they not only don't understand but likely have never given serious thought to.

No, that's not what it means at all. It means self-evident facts, truths and best practices. Those that require no empirical proof to accept. And as stated above, its practice is unfortunately rare (i.e., not "common" at all).
I'm sorry you feel the need to make statements that are so vastly just wrong. But Hey, I'm sure somehow you think they're not. I've learned that arguing with people who have made up their minds is useless regardless of how completley wrong they may be.

Reactions: infinite dreams
I'm sorry you feel the need to make statements that are so vastly just wrong. But Hey, I'm sure somehow you think they're not. I've learned that arguing with people who have made up their minds is useless regardless of how completley wrong they may be.
b8P0hkv.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Taylor Ph.D.The Power of Prime
Common Sense Is Neither Common nor Sense
How often is common sense correct?
Posted Jul 12, 2011

Common sense, defined as "sound judgment derived from experience rather than study," is one of the most revered qualities in America. It evokes images of early and simpler times in which industrious men and women built our country into what it is today. People with common sense are seen as reasonable, down to earth, reliable, and practical.

But here's the catch. Common sense is neither common nor sense. There's not a whole of sound judgment going on these days (though whether it is worse than in the past, I can't be sure), so it's not common. If common sense was common, then most people wouldn't make the kinds of decisions they do every day. People wouldn't buy stuff they can't afford. They wouldn't smoke cigarettes or eat junk food. They wouldn't gamble. And if you want to get really specific and timely, politicians wouldn't be tweeting pictures of their private parts to strangers. In other words, people wouldn't do the multitude of things that are clearly not good for them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ps.../common-sense-is-neither-common-nor-sense?amp

Reactions: Wyote
Reactions: the

Jim Taylor Ph.D.The Power of Prime
Common Sense Is Neither Common nor Sense
How often is common sense correct?
Posted Jul 12, 2011

Common sense, defined as "sound judgment derived from experience rather than study," is one of the most revered qualities in America. It evokes images of early and simpler times in which industrious men and women built our country into what it is today. People with common sense are seen as reasonable, down to earth, reliable, and practical.

But here's the catch. Common sense is neither common nor sense. There's not a whole of sound judgment going on these days (though whether it is worse than in the past, I can't be sure), so it's not common. If common sense was common, then most people wouldn't make the kinds of decisions they do every day. People wouldn't buy stuff they can't afford. They wouldn't smoke cigarettes or eat junk food. They wouldn't gamble. And if you want to get really specific and timely, politicians wouldn't be tweeting pictures of their private parts to strangers. In other words, people wouldn't do the multitude of things that are clearly not good for them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-power-prime/201107/common-sense-is-neither-common-nor-sense?amp

I love how you google search for another person's set of opinions in an attempt to refute my...opinions. Never change, EH :tonguewink:

For what it's worth, I don't disagree with this (from the piece):

I think we need to jettison this notion of the sanctity of common sense and instead embrace "reasoned sense," that is, sound judgment based on rigorous study of an issue (which also includes direct experience). Of course, we can't do an in-depth scientific study of every issue for which we need to draw a conclusion or make a decision. We can't, in the formal sense, do a review of the literature that includes relevant theories and the scientific findings to date, prepare detailed hypotheses, design a formal methodology, collect data, and employ complex statistical analyses from which we draw conclusions. But we can, and should, apply many of these basic principles of the scientific method in more informal ways to our daily lives.

Mostly he has an issue with the nomenclature and definition of the term. Of course I agree that it isn't in fact "common" - I thought I'd made that abundantly clear above.

I love how you google search for another person's set of opinions in an attempt to refute my...opinions. Never change, EH :tonguewink:

For what it's worth, I don't disagree with this (from the piece):

Mostly he has an issue with the nomenclature and definition of the term. Of course I agree that it isn't in fact "common" - I thought I'd made that abundantly clear above.
No. I simply offer items like this when people have decided to stop listening to me specifically. This advances what I am trying to say and it comes from another person.

Reactions: infinite dreams

conservatives.jpg

(Real quote BTW)​

You can't win an argument when wrong.

Not to be a smartass, EH, but in The Art of Being Right, Schopenhauer is kind enough to offer us 38 stratagems for winning an argument when wrong. ;)

So there seems to be at least 38 ways to win an argument when wrong. (Anyone who wants a laugh should check the names of the stratagems he offers - especially 14, 15, 36 and 38.).

Not to be a smartass, EH, but in The Art of Being Right, Schopenhauer is kind enough to offer us 38 stratagems for winning an argument when wrong. ;)

So there seems to be at least 38 ways to win an argument when wrong. (Anyone who wants a laugh should check the names of the stratagems he offers - especially 14, 15, 36 and 38.).
Fair enough. I'll concede to beimg wrong about this.

Hahaha #36 - I think I use this most effectively. The Vicar of Wakefield is how real life works in a lot of ways actually.

American politics is compelling and always has been. However, I feel bad for individuals whose strategy in life is, "Hopefully the economy gets back on track."

I've accepted a long time ago that President Obama, Secretary Clinton, or President Trump aren't going to change my life. That's up to me.

I've seen people anchor themselves into commitments that they shouldn't be burdened by, hoping the future will be better. Well, what if it isn't? What if the economy enters a recession, worse a depression? Then you've got unnecessary baggage to weather through the storm.

I'm generally trusting of the future and base my goals on that trust, however, I think it's good practice to imagine the worst-case scenario.